An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion

[mod]MIKolbe- Negative Criticism of other religions[/mod] how many innocent people have been killed because of religion and in Gods name ? Its sick...

It hasn't even been established that it was religiously motivated. Nobody knows anything yet.

Religion is used as an excuse by people with free will.

PhuturePriest

I can't help but think this along with a lot of things you have said recently should maybe make you lose your Church Militant tag...

KnightofChrist

I can't help but think this along with a lot of things you have said recently should maybe make you lose your Church Militant tag...

That is not up to us, but we should pray for our brother, who is clearly troubled with doubts. He needs our prayers.

Give me some quotes Future Priest...Take it away...That's fine...No I don't believe God ok'd women and children to be killed in the o.t. And no I don't think God said it was ok to rape then...If that doesn't make me church militant o well...And no I really can't stand religion...If me saying I hate islam and all the killing of innocent people in religions name causes me not to be church militant o well...

PhuturePriest

That is not up to us, but we should pray for our brother, who is clearly troubled with doubts. He needs our prayers.

I never said it was. But the Church Militant tag exists to show people that the person in question fully adheres to the Church 100%. Delivery Boy admittedly does not and has not for a while, so I think it might be prudent to take it away, at least until he gets over his doubts. This isn't to punish him in any way, this is to possibly help lurkers from being confused about what the Church says. But this isn't my call, and Dust can do whatever he likes.

maybe it would be better to send your concerns to him privately first? like the Bible says and stuff.

perhaps if that doesn't work, pm an admin or a mod.

please, if you must take someone to task, then take them to task on what they have posted, without adding ancilary issues to convolute matters.

thank you.

(pardon my spelling or lack thereof)

CatholicsAreKewl

I never said it was. But the Church Militant tag exists to show people that the person in question fully adheres to the Church 100%. Delivery Boy admittedly does not and has not for a while, so I think it might be prudent to take it away, at least until he gets over his doubts. This isn't to punish him in any way, this is to possibly help lurkers from being confused about what the Church says. But this isn't my call, and Dust can do whatever he likes.

100%? My friend, that surely was an overstatement. I've met many clergy, one of which was a cardinal, that didn't fully agree with the church 100%. Wasn't it Chesterton who admired doubt as a necessity for good faith? Why should we focus on silly "church militant" labels instead of taking one's concerns and views seriously. Knowledge + Compassion = Progress.

CatholicsAreKewl

Give me some quotes Future Priest...Take it away...That's fine...No I don't believe God ok'd women and children to be killed in the o.t. And no I don't think God said it was ok to rape then...If that doesn't make me church militant o well...And no I really can't stand religion...If me saying I hate islam and all the killing of innocent people in religions name causes me not to be church militant o well...

Well, Islam does not necessarily call for violence. The reason I say "necessarily" is because Islam is too big of a religion to write off that quickly. It would be like saying "All Christians believe in the Eucharist". Those who follow, or claim to follow, the traditional Sunni Islamic jurisprudence would be more likely to commit acts of violence and terror towards nonbelievers. However, most Muslims who claim to follow this form of Islam are ignorant about virtually everything the jurists they follow actually wrote. They follow a modern version of traditional Islam which is disconnected from the writings they claim to follow. For example, the reason why the dowry was necessary for a marriage contract was because it was used as a literal purchase of a woman's vulva. At that time, the writers used slave contracts as a basis for the understanding of Islamic marriage contracts. A woman in an Islamic marriage is not required to cook, clean, or do work around the house, according to those jurists. She is only required to have sex with her husband at his command. Some even believed that she was required to do so even if she would miss an important event, such as her parent's funeral, in the process. However, the overwhelming majority of Sunni Muslims who claim to follow the traditional jurisprudence nowadays are not even aware of anything I've just mentioned. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Seems to me that the Militant tag is more of a popularity club so long as youre catholic.  :o)

Im sure he is just very emotional as we all are after hearing the news of all of these tragedies.

We all want to be forgiving, but I know that I have also struggled with my anger and loss of understanding as to why these things happen. :(

It has been making me feel very down the last couple of days since it all started.

Noel's angel

I can fully understand where FP is coming from. If someone can say "I really can't stand religion" and yet they retain their 'Church Militant' tag, the tag becomes pretty-much meaningless. It no longer serves the purpose for which it was created.

When I first read the thread I thought he was  being sarcastic!! I guess not  :paperbag:

CatholicsAreKewl

I can fully understand where FP is coming from. If someone can say "I really can't stand religion" and yet they retain their 'Church Militant' tag, the tag becomes pretty-much meaningless. It no longer serves the purpose for which it was created.

That is very true. However, it might be better to discuss this in private with a moderator instead of publicly on the person's thread. It comes off sort of like "we're kicking you out of our special clique unless you stop" instead of "we're concerned that people will think this is what Catholics believe". I know that's not the intention. That's why I don't think it's proper to do this publicly.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

That is very true. However, it might be better to discuss this in private with a moderator instead of publicly on the person's thread. 

Concur