An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion

CatholicsAreKewl

Is the Christian faith responsible for the evil that has been committed in its name? I know a great many Muslims who are just as horrified and upset by those events as you are and fully condemn them. Would you blame the whole Christian faith if those crimes were committed by Christians? Should all Christians be judged by the Westboro Baptist church? You cannot assume that all members of a faith are the same. I grew up in the Middle East during the start of the Iraq War. I am well aware of the evils that have been committed in the name of Islam. But I also know that there are a great many Muslims who work to stop these evils. You cannot just look at one side of the picture.

True, or the whole drone strike video game kill machine we have in foreign countries that have been killing innocent people. 

Anastasia13

But I also know that there are a great many Muslims who work to stop these evils. You cannot just look at one side of the picture.

Muslims killed my great grandparents' families, and a Muslim saved my great grandfather's life.

Future Priest....I agree with everything the Church teaches...Every single thing...Lately I have doubts about the old testement being actually real history...And I don't think God really wanted children and women to be killed...And also ok'd women to be raped...If you can show me in the Catholic Rule Book where having these views put me at odds with the Church please do...Because if I agree with everything else the Church teaches then I will work out these issues too...And no I don't like religion...Not at all...But if Catholicism is the only true religion then it shouldn't matter that I don't like the false ones...If not liking religion is against the rules in the Catholic Rule Book again please show me where...And I have no problem with muslims who are peacefull...I never stated I did...I do have a problem with islam though....I pray for the day it doesn't exist...

Edited by Guest

One of my very good friends here in Texas is a Sunni Muslim.  I recently asked her about the hierarchy in Islam.  Apparently, there is none.  There is no system in place to remove an Imam who is distorting their teachings for political or violent motives.  When I told her (and another Sunni Muslim friend of hers) that Catholic Bishops can discipline or remove a priest who has distorted our teachings, her response was, "Can we borrow him?"

I have many Muslim friends.  They more disgusted with the terrorists than we can comprehend.  Think about the Westboro Baptist Church - pretend for a moment that they claimed to be Catholic and were killing people - now add on the fact that there is no official hierarchy to refute their affiliation with our church - that's how they feel.

By the way,  it was a Muslim Imam and members of a Muslim community that tipped off the Canadians to stop the al Qaeda train attack.

Edited by Adrestia

Another thing that I found interesting was that she said she didn't feel she should have to apologize for the actions of other people just because those other people claim to be Muslim.  From her point of view, the person committing the sin as accountable to God.  If the person is an Imam who leads others to sin, that Imam is accountable for all the sins of those he has led astray.

I have no idea how common this type of thought is in Muslim communities.  But, if it is widespread, it might explain why many of the rational Muslims don't speak out more loudly against the terrorists.

PhuturePriest

Future Priest....I agree with everything the Church teaches...Every single thing...Lately I have doubts about the old testement being actually real history...And I don't think God really wanted children and women to be killed...And also ok'd women to be raped...If you can show me in the Catholic Rule Book where having these views put me at odds with the Church please do...Because if I agree with everything else the Church teaches then I will work out these issues too...And no I don't like religion...Not at all...But if Catholicism is the only true religion then it shouldn't matter that I don't like the false ones...If not liking religion is against the rules in the Catholic Rule Book again please show me where...And I have no problem with muslims who are peacefull...I never stated I did...I do have a problem with islam though....I pray for the day it doesn't exist...

I was very harsh to you at first and I apologize. I wish I hadn't said those things. As for this post, I can't answer the first few questions. However, being at odds with religion and being Catholic is contradictory. Catholicism IS a religion. In fact, it's THE religion. So saying you don't like religion is contradictory, because if you don't like religion, you don't like Catholicism. Now, if you want to say you don't like false religions, join the club. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to not like lies and falsehoods that have led people away from God's Church.

CatholicsAreKewl

One of my very good friends here in Texas is a Sunni Muslim.  I recently asked her about the hierarchy in Islam.  Apparently, there is none.  There is no system in place to remove an Imam who is distorting their teachings for political or violent motives.  When I told her (and another Sunni Muslim friend of hers) that Catholic Bishops can discipline or remove a priest who has distorted our teachings, her response was, "Can we borrow him?"

I have many Muslim friends.  They more disgusted with the terrorists than we can comprehend.  Think about the Westboro Baptist Church - pretend for a moment that they claimed to be Catholic and were killing people - now add on the fact that there is no official hierarchy to refute their affiliation with our church - that's how they feel.

By the way,  it was a Muslim Imam and members of a Muslim community that tipped off the Canadians to stop the al Qaeda train attack.

You're right. Muslims don't really have a hierarchy, unless we're talking about Shi'ite Islam, which is a parody of the Catholic Church.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

At what point do we not hold this "faith" responsible? 

That's a great point.  I also hold Christianity responsible for ted Haggard holding meth for a friend and getting sensual massages from a male callboy

CatholicsAreKewl

Another thing that I found interesting was that she said she didn't feel she should have to apologize for the actions of other people just because those other people claim to be Muslim.  From her point of view, the person committing the sin as accountable to God.  If the person is an Imam who leads others to sin, that Imam is accountable for all the sins of those he has led astray.

I have no idea how common this type of thought is in Muslim communities.  But, if it is widespread, it might explain why many of the rational Muslims don't speak out more loudly against the terrorists.

I was going to post about this exact thing. Many Muslims don't feel obligated to speak out against certain groups because they feel these groups are a minority that they can't control. However, I can't ignore the fact that Islam DOES have problems. Muftis can interpret certain scriptures as violent or passive depending on what their goals are. The fact that this can occur is alarming. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are not bad people. However, that doesn't mean that religious leaders in Sunni Islam cannot make a strong argument for the extreme interpretation of the Qur'an and the Hadiths if they so wish to. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

How many times have you publicly denounced the Serbian Orthodox Church for it's support of the Bosnian Serb army during the Bosnian civil war?  Or the Russian Orthodox Church for it's support of the Russian army's criminal campaign in Chechnya?  I don't see why 'more Muslims not speaking out' is viewed as something puzzling.  Do you apologize for everything bad done in the name of Christianity or by Christians?  More importantly, how are 'average Muslims' supposed to speak out?  I just don't get this idea.  Is the idea that Fox is going to run an hour long special on Ahmed the Arab guy who runs a regionally themed grocery down the street's opinion of the September 11th attacks?  Most Muslim organizations do release statements but they usually don't get published.  Nor should it.  The opinion of x school's MSA on event y isn't really an valid news story.  Unless you're talking about my school where there was a terrorist attack.  

How many times have you publicly denounced the Serbian Orthodox Church for it's support of the Bosnian Serb army during the Bosnian civil war? Or the Russian Orthodox Church for it's support of the Russian army's criminal campaign in Chechnya? I don't see why 'more Muslims not speaking out' is viewed as something puzzling. Do you apologize for everything bad done in the name of Christianity or by Christians? More importantly, how are 'average Muslims' supposed to speak out? I just don't get this idea. Is the idea that Fox is going to run an hour long special on Ahmed the Arab guy who runs a regionally themed grocery down the street's opinion of the September 11th attacks? Most Muslim organizations do release statements but they usually don't get published. Nor should it. The opinion of x school's MSA on event y isn't really an valid news story. Unless you're talking about my school where there was a terrorist attack.

Yes. When someone who claims to be Catholic twists sacred scripture for evil ends, I apologize.

Future Priest you should of said those things...No need to say sorry...I actually agree with you...I was very angry when I wrote that post...And a lot of my post lately have been filled with doubt and questioning things...If God is real which I believe He is He will pull me through this and my faith will be even stronger...I see what you are saying about Catholicism being a religion...So I agree with you there...I just don't like how religion can become all rules and regulations and love can seem to be left out...To me that is what the early church looked like to me looking back on it...Just my opinion...Not saying I'm right...And that's what most other religions look like to me now...Rules and regulations and men telling everyone else what God wants and expects...And in the worse cases killing other people because they don't agree.

Todays reading and Homily was about Love...Jesus said I give you a new commandment and that is to love one another as I have loved you...That's the only real religion to me...Love....And I have found love in Catholicism...On the other hand I don't see how one could find love in islam...I really don't...

Edited by Guest