An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion

That's one thing I agree with atheist on...How evil and idiotic religion *can* be...I have looked at it from both sides and I can honestly say I agree with the atheist argument here..People read the koran and think its the word of God...And then they kill people over it and abuse women because God said its ok...That is stupidity to me...And sad...I wouldn't be Catholic if Catholics were justifing killing people and abusing women today because the Bible may seem to support it in spots...That's why I'm not at odds with the "religion" of Catholicism...Because it has accepted its 2013, doesn't require me to believe Jonas was really in a whale, and supports science and evolution....O and it focuses on love...Islam has not done that and seems like it never will...And while other religions may not be violent they are harmfull in other ways where the person is better off without ever being involved in the false religion...Even if it does have a *portion* of the truth...

Edited by Guest

CatholicsAreKewl

You can't leave islam and if you do you're put to death....That isn't love...That's the farthest thing from love there is...

You are very right with this concern. However, not all people believe in this interpretation. I would argue that those who do are overlooking basic human rights. 

CatholicsAreKewl

That's one thing I agree with atheist on...How evil and idiotic religion *can* be...

I think those atheists are actually anti-theists. Atheism can include agnosticism (agnostic is NOT it's own category. You can be an agnostic Christian). Those anti-theists would actually agree that Islam can have positive interpretations and negative ones. They would argue the same about Christianity (though Islam tends to be more obvious in its advocation of violence). The main problem they have stems from giving a person, whether it be the Pope or a Caliph, the ability to say that God is giving them the authority to do/say/tell you to believe x. They would not agree that Christianity is historically any better in this respect, just less violent as of recently. 

I have looked at it from both sides and I can honestly say I agree with the atheist argument here..People read the koran and think its the word of God...And then they kill people over it and abuse women because God said its ok...That is stupidity to me...And sad...I wouldn't be Catholic if Catholics were justifing killing people and abusing women today because the Bible may seem to support it in spots...That's why I'm not at odds with the "religion" of Catholicism...Because it has accepted its 2013, doesn't require me to believe Jonas was really in a whale, and supports science and evolution....O and it focuses on love...Islam has not done that and seems like it never will...And while other religions may not be violent they are harmfull in other ways where the person is better off without ever being involved in the false religion...Even if it does have a *portion* of the truth...

This is a very important concern. I would argue that a lot of the despicable common occurrences in societies that are predominately Muslim are a result of the culture, not the religion. Let me give you two examples. In Saudi Arabia, women are not allowed to drive. However, most Muslims would say that has nothing to do with the religion at all. It's a cultural law that's accepted as religious. Let me give you another example. Female circumcision is very popular in Egypt. There are even religious clerics in that country who insist that Muslim women are required to undergo this horrible surgery. However, most Muslims around the world are as repulsed by female genital mutilation as we are in the United States. A lot of times, the culture will have a big impact on how the religious act. 

Now, in the case of killing and abusing people, there are Muslim societies that will do horrible things to female adulterers, apostates, etc. However, Islam itself is still too general of a religion to be blamed for this. We might blame the strict adherence to traditional jurisprudence. We could also point to the culture of the areas. We must also be mindful that this process of applying religious ideas to a modern context is very tricky in Islam, mainly because Muslims believe that the Qu'ran was revealed to Muhammad (meaning it's literally God's word). They can't ignore some of the passages or claim there are historical inaccuracies within the text because that's tantamount to saying God is wrong. They can, however, use methodological principles of interpretation to look through the texts and analyze the reasons for each of the verses and how they could apply in different contexts. This is a tricky task for the Islamic modernists to accomplish convincingly and it will be a while before real progress is made. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

But the koran is not the word of god...Its fiction...old ancient played out fiction...and my atheist friends will yell at me and say well how can you say that about the koran and yet not say the same about the Bible ?????????? And I will say...........I don't know what I will say actually and that troubles and saddens me...I used to know what I would say but now a days I don't....

And so its clear I do believe the Bible is the inspired word of God...But honestly now a days I really don't know how to explain what that means to somebody nor am I sure what it means myself...

Edited by Guest

CatholicsAreKewl

And so its clear I do believe the Bible is the inspired word of God...But honestly now a days I really don't know how to explain what that means to somebody nor am I sure what it means myself...

This is a problem. It requires faith to believe that God exists and that the Catholic church is the right church. I'm sorry bro, there's really no honest irrefutable argument you could give for the existence of God besides the fact that no one can prove he doesn't exist (which isn't the best argument imo).

The Atheists who argue that there is no God are making a mistake of assuming they know something that they can't prove yet. I say "yet" because Lawrence Krauss, a well known physicist, claims that scientists are getting close to understanding the beginnings of the universe. I don't know how accurate his claims are or whether they would actually make a difference in this debate if proven true. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

No I believe in God 100 percent...I just don't know how to explain the whole Bible is the inspired word of God thing and what that really means...I do believe its the inspired word of God yet there are parts of it (old testement) that seems like God and man might not have been on the same page or there was a little miscommunication...

Edited by Guest