An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ladies Can You Explain This To Me?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I have experienced, and heard stories from a lot of guys in the seminary that once they got serious in their discernment and the single Catholic girls found out all of a sudden it was like open season on the priesthood discerner. Now, I can understand somebody wanting to find a good Catholic husband and how much more faithful a guy are you going to find than somebody who is willing to go to Seminary, but wouldn't you rather have a good Priest? Why do so many beautiful faithful Catholic women have to tempt us?

I'd say if you're truly called to the priesthood, it might be that Satan's tempting you.  After all, St. John of the Cross said "It should be noted that among the many wiles of the devil for deceiving spiritual persons, the most common is deceiving them under the appearance of good rather than evil, for the devil already knows that they will scarcely choose a recognized evil."  It's not that it's bad for a good Catholic woman to attract you, but if God is truly calling you to a different vocation then this might be Satan's way of trying to prevent it.  Just a thought.  Although I don't know because I don't think I've ever been attracted to a man discerning a vocation to the priesthood.

missionseeker

Same reason so many guys "want what they can't have" or spend years chasing a girl to dump her as soon as she says yes to going out with them? Why do guys do that?

I don't know any girls who deliberately go after seminarians. I can definitely see how if the guy is cute and smart and funny and witty and smells good how it would be easy to develop a crush.  But as far as actively hunting them? I don't know about that. 

And honestly? Would I rather have a priest or a husband? 

I'd rather have a husband. :|

I mean, don't get me wrong, priests are irreplaceable. But if I had to choose whether I wanted a guy I liked to be my priest or my husband, I'd choose husband. 

Edited by missionseeker

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

This just gave me an idea...

:eek:

It is not appropriate to pretend to be discerning just to get dates. :redcard:

Anastasia13
  • Could be Satan tempting you.
  • Could be God testing you.
  • Could be wanting something that can't be had.
  • Could be that there is just something attractive about a guy who prays, can name the ecumenical councils, and would have the conviction to raise our darling future children going to Sunday school.  Can I get a prop for good-looking/great men who know Marian prayers and talk about Church Fathers?
Edited by Light and Truth

• Could be Satan tempting you.
  • Could be God testing you.
  • Could be wanting something that can't be had.
  • Could be that there is just something attractive about a guy who prays, can name the ecumenical councils, and would have the conviction to raise our darling future children going to Sunday school.  Can I get a prop for good-looking/great men who know Marian prayers and talk about church fathers?

Yes you may! :)

Basilisa Marie

I have experienced, and heard stories from a lot of guys in the seminary that once they got serious in their discernment and the single Catholic girls found out all of a sudden it was like open season on the priesthood discerner. Now, I can understand somebody wanting to find a good Catholic husband and how much more faithful a guy are you going to find than somebody who is willing to go to Seminary, but wouldn't you rather have a good Priest? Why do so many beautiful faithful Catholic women have to tempt us?

Because some Catholic women want the holiest husband they can find, and they think seminarians are the holiest.  Lots of guys who take their faith seriously discern, because EVERYONE tells ANY young man who shows even the slightest interest in the faith that he should be a priest.  

At the same time, it might just be that the girls want to be friends with a guy who is "safe" - since they know he's discerning, they know he won't pursue them.  Maybe she's not actually doing any tempting, maybe it just looks that way.  I don't think it's right to automatically consider any interest in women while discerning a temptation from Satan.  

What about the guys who are only interested in women who are discerning religious life? It's pretty similar. 

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

What about the guys who are only interested in women who are discerning religious life? It's pretty similar. 

probably...but geesh it can be frustrating.

Because some Catholic women want the holiest husband they can find, and they think seminarians are the holiest.  Lots of guys who take their faith seriously discern, because EVERYONE tells ANY young man who shows even the slightest interest in the faith that he should be a priest.  

At the same time, it might just be that the girls want to be friends with a guy who is "safe" - since they know he's discerning, they know he won't pursue them.  Maybe she's not actually doing any tempting, maybe it just looks that way.  I don't think it's right to automatically consider any interest in women while discerning a temptation from Satan.  

I didn't say it's definitely a temptation of Satan, I only said it might be.  And I only said that if in fact a guy truly believes he has found his vocation in the priesthood.  During my discernment of religious life, I've also been attracted to marriage and certain guys.  Because I'm not 100% sure of my vocation, I can't say if it's even temptation or not.  Perhaps I'm called to marriage and it's God's way of showing me that.

All I'm saying is that it's a possibility that Satan is tempting the future priests.

Guest Allie

Nothing personal but based on some pictures of some seminarians it would take an act of charity to want to tempt them. :evil:  (Sometimes I am very shallow.)

LadyOfSorrows

Another perspective-- I'm currently dating a man who was close to being ordained a deacon. We were friends while he was in the seminary, but didn't start dating until he had left for a while. It wasn't until later that he told me he was having doubts about his vocation from early on. He said he was always attracted to me, but it wasn't the reason he left the seminary.

I think if a man is truly unsure of his vocation while in seminary, there will be more important reasons for leaving the seminary than for a girl.

PhuturePriest

I didn't say it's definitely a temptation of Satan, I only said it might be.  And I only said that if in fact a guy truly believes he has found his vocation in the priesthood.  During my discernment of religious life, I've also been attracted to marriage and certain guys.  Because I'm not 100% sure of my vocation, I can't say if it's even temptation or not.  Perhaps I'm called to marriage and it's God's way of showing me that.

All I'm saying is that it's a possibility that Satan is tempting the future priests.

You called?

Spem in alium

During my discernment of religious life, I've also been attracted to marriage and certain guys.  Because I'm not 100% sure of my vocation, I can't say if it's even temptation or not.  Perhaps I'm called to marriage and it's God's way of showing me that.

Ditto. I don't think a person, whether a priest, religious or not, ever stops discerning, and I don't know if we can ever be 100% sure of our vocation. I think we make choices based on  what we believe to be the strongest message from God, and so we always need to be open to what He may be saying. Perhaps romantic interest in seminarians is temptation or the work of Satan. Perhaps it is God calling the seminarians to consider a new possibility or life direction. The only clear way of knowing, I believe, is through effective discernment and prayer.