An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ladies Can You Explain This To Me?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

dominicansoul

We're talking about seminarians, and in my opinion, it's no big deal if they drop out because they decide marriage is best for them....but once they've been ordained, that's a whole other matter...

sadly, some women tend to get emotionally tied up with priests, and the priests get emotionally tied to them...

...in recent years, we've seen it happen to priests who have been in the limelight... they have since left their communties, their priesthood for those women... but they are priests forever!

I think if a seminarian has a real problem with all the attention women are giving, and he greatly desires that kind of affection and needs that kind of attention, perhaps it isn't a good thing to continue to discern priesthood?  One of the priests who left the Catholic Church for a woman mentioned in an interview that he struggled greatly with this and his superiors didn't think it was anything to worry about.  He kept getting pushed into ordination even when he had real issues with all the attention (he was a rather handsome young man, and he was given a talk show because he was very charismatic and people were drawn to him...)

Basilisa Marie

I can say, from my time in seminary, that if a man hasn't ever had at least some of the reality of marriage exposed to him, things will not go well for him at all in discernment. These men have a tendency to be afraid of interaction with women, and it makes things extremely difficult for them down the road.

Dude this is so true. I can't tell you how many times I LITERALLY just said "Hi!" to a group of young seminarians in college and watched them basically scatter.  I get trying to focus on chastity and your discernment, but I'm seriously thankful most of them figured it out by the time they were 2nd theology that they can say hi to college women.  

missionseeker

The old timer ladies call my pastor "Father What-a-waste", as in his personal and physical beauty are wasted in the priesthood. Them old ladies can be pretty dirty sometimes.. 

I have a couple of friends that have been referred to as Fr. What a waste. It's not just an old ladies thing... :|

Dude this is so true. I can't tell you how many times I LITERALLY just said "Hi!" to a group of young seminarians in college and watched them basically scatter.  I get trying to focus on chastity and your discernment, but I'm seriously thankful most of them figured it out by the time they were 2nd theology that they can say hi to college women.  

:O Scandalous!

Nothing personal but based on some pictures of some seminarians it would take an act of charity to want to tempt them. :evil:  (Sometimes I am very shallow.)

:nono: :nono:

I can say, from my time in seminary, that if a man hasn't ever had at least some of the reality of marriage exposed to him, things will not go well for him at all in discernment. These men have a tendency to be afraid of interaction with women, and it makes things extremely difficult for them down the road.

I agree with what ARFink and Basilisa Marie have said.  And if they haven't figured out what healthy interactions with others means while in the seminary, it DOES create problems for them when they have to interact with real non-seminarian humans in an all-too-normal-world after they are ordained.  

It's sad that too many of them are over scared of human interaction right now -- and who would blame them?   But they need support from other people... and most people in the parishes are rooting for them, and eager to help them become good priests (and religious women, same comment).... but sometimes they are too scared to let us in.

The most effective priests and religious are the ones who are very clear who they are... and very clear what they are with others.

DS, I agree about the TV guy... and I think it is a horriblel problem for people in seminaries and convents right now.  If you can't talk about feeling attractions and work through them, if your superiors and counselors don't listen to what you are saying, then the scenario of someone taking vows they should NOT be taking becomes a very real spectre.... and that is not good for anyone.

Celibacy isn't an easy discipline.  But people who are able and encouraged to have normal human friendships are going to do better at living it out in healthy ways.  The best guarantee for well-lived vows are people around you who support and encourage you to keep them.   Priests and religious who are comfortagble in their own skins will be able to better discern when someone is being appropriately friendly and when someone is making a pass or flirting with them.   And there is a BIG difference.   Just as it is for spouses in a marriage.  

Obviously religious (and teachers, and counselors and a whole bunch of other 'groups') need to be very aware of the 'caesar's wife' issues of being seen with a priest or sister in addition to not doing any boundary pushing.   And I have never understood what possesses (or maybe I do!) men and women to make passes at people in committed relationships... much less a priest or religious.

In my opinion, it IS possible to have a priest or sister as a friend.... but there need to be appropriate limits. And those can't be in place if people don't learn how and where to place them.

I haven't experienced this while at seminary.  Although I have heard that many seminarians get lots of women interested in them once they leave seminary (if they discern out).  In fact two that discerned out last semester are already engaged right now.

Kylie Spinelli

Well, like you said we love good, devout Catholic men who are hardcore for Christ ( or maybe that's just me! ^_^ ) but some girls also like a challenge. We love what we can't have. :) haha

The majority of seminarians that I have met are the exact opposite of anti-social or "not-knowing-how-to-be-around-people-in-the-real-world"... Most of them are just normal men seeking God's will. Normal. Adult senses of humor and all. As well as keen taste for good wine and food..

Crap. Now you guys know my real motivations...

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

The majority of seminarians that I have met are the exact opposite of anti-social or "not-knowing-how-to-be-around-people-in-the-real-world"... Most of them are just normal men seeking God's will. Normal. Adult senses of humor and all. As well as keen taste for good wine and food..

croutons. Now you guys know my real motivations...

I particularly have to agree with this statement.

Although the poor seminarians at Conception Seminary get neither very often, although they are working hard at improving the food so I hear. And to be fair I understand the brothers each much more simply than the seminarians...I mean the poor brothers get cake only after it gets too stale for the seminary side, so the have to add milk over it...