PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 (edited) Based off what everyone always said about them, I thought the Latin Mass was going to be a magical experience that would leave me in awe the entire time and question the validity of Vatican II. It didn't. Rather, I was confused the whole time, I didn't know what was going on, and the Priest was praying so fast the whole time that you couldn't keep up with him with the book. The homily was good, though. I feel like I've been lied to. :| But in all seriousness, I didn't feel as if there was "more reverence" as opposed to the Novus Ordo. It felt like a valid Mass, but with the extra bonus of me not feeling bad for not being able to pay attention. Edited April 24, 2013 by FuturePriest387
ToJesusMyHeart Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Unless you know Latin, you're not expected to know everything that is going on the very first time you assist at the Extraordinary Mass. It took me at least 4 Masses to begin to follow along. If you've been to the ordinary form your whole life, the Extraordinary Mass will certainly be confusing. It's normal.
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 Unless you know Latin, you're not expected to know everything that is going on the very first time you assist at the Extraordinary Mass. It took me at least 4 Masses to begin to follow along. If you've been to the ordinary form your whole life, the Extraordinary Mass will certainly be confusing. It's normal. Oh, I know. I just don't see what the hype is all about. I didn't notice anything more reverent than at a Novus Ordo Mass, which I was promised I would. Maybe I'm just used to amazing Priests that do the Novus Ordo, but I simply wasn't amazed like I thought I was going to be.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Were you trying to follow in a missal or anything? For some people, it seems like for at least the first few times they go, trying to follow along in the missal is really distracting. I did not find that, because the first time I went I was relatively prepared and knew what to expect. But for someone else I can definitely see it being a hindrance. Instead of paying attention and praying, you would be trying to flip around to find exactly where you are, trying to match what you read with what you hear (or more often do not hear)... I can see that being quite frustrating. Worse still if you did not have a missal and were trying to figure out everything anyway. :hehe2: That would be practically impossible. So for someone like that, who might get frustrated at not being able to follow along right away, I would recommend not worrying about the missal at all. Maybe read the propers before Mass, even during Mass if you know where they are, but mostly just sitting back, getting yourself in a prayerful frame of mind, and letting the Mass unfold as it always does. Take in the beauty and pray.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Oh, I know. I just don't see what the hype is all about. I didn't notice anything more reverent than at a Novus Ordo Mass, which I was promised I would. Maybe I'm just used to amazing Priests that do the Novus Ordo, but I simply wasn't amazed like I thought I was going to be. You must be blessed to have reverent and holy priests at your novus ordo parishes. Not all of us do. Give thanks that you're so lucky to have faithful, reverent pastors. The novus ordo masses that I attend as abuse-ridden and sometimes bring me to tears of sorrow. The only reverence I find is at the Extraordinary Mass. Unfortunately, abuses are all too common in many parishes. You're seriously blessed to not have abuse going on where you are. Or perhaps you aren't aware of all the things which actually are abuses. Either way, stay where you are!
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 Were you trying to follow in a missal or anything? For some people, it seems like for at least the first few times they go, trying to follow along in the missal is really distracting. I did not find that, because the first time I went I was relatively prepared and knew what to expect. But for someone else I can definitely see it being a hindrance. Instead of paying attention and praying, you would be trying to flip around to find exactly where you are, trying to match what you read with what you hear (or more often do not hear)... I can see that being quite frustrating. Worse still if you did not have a missal and were trying to figure out everything anyway. :hehe2: That would be practically impossible. So for someone like that, who might get frustrated at not being able to follow along right away, I would recommend not worrying about the missal at all. Maybe read the propers before Mass, even during Mass if you know where they are, but mostly just sitting back, getting yourself in a prayerful frame of mind, and letting the Mass unfold as it always does. Take in the beauty and pray. I had a book thing they provided with all the prayers in it. I think one problem was the music. It was beautiful, but each song was so long that you were drained by the time it was halfway done. The music is supposed to bring you into a prayerful mindset, but the songs chosen were so long that you were praying they would end before too long.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 (edited) While the standard of liturgy here in my diocese is rather poor, that is not the primary reason I attend the traditional Mass. It is what drew me in initially, but it is not the reason I stay. Edited April 24, 2013 by Nihil Obstat
Nihil Obstat Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 I had a book thing they provided with all the prayers in it. I think one problem was the music. It was beautiful, but each song was so long that you were drained by the time it was halfway done. The music is supposed to bring you into a prayerful mindset, but the songs chosen were so long that you were praying they would end before too long. Did you mainly find it 'dragging on' for the proper chants, or the ordinary?
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 You must be blessed to have reverent and holy priests at your novus ordo parishes. Not all of us do. Give thanks that you're so lucky to have faithful, reverent pastors. The novus ordo masses that I attend as abuse-ridden and sometimes bring me to tears of sorrow. The only reverence I find is at the Extraordinary Mass. Unfortunately, abuses are all too common in many parishes. You're seriously blessed to not have abuse going on where you are. Or perhaps you aren't aware of all the things which actually are abuses. Either way, stay where you are! My parish Priests are not perfect. I can name a few who have proudly committed a heresy or two on occasion, and of course the occasional illicit thing such as using leavened bread rather than unleavened (Or is it the other way around?). But even with the most heretical Priest I've seen that has celebrated Mass, the Mass itself still felt the same. The Mass is the Mass, no matter what atrocity is being done at this or that particular one, and no matter if it's the Novus Ordo or Extraordinary Form. I don't really think it's appropriate to make debates on which one is more reverent.
Apotheoun Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 I do not know Old Church Slavonic and yet when I have attended the liturgy when that language is used I have never been lost, because the liturgy is always the same. It is not like the structure of the liturgy is different based upon the language used.
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 Did you mainly find it 'dragging on' for the proper chants, or the ordinary? Would you rephrase this so my tired mind can understand what you mean?
Nihil Obstat Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Would you rephrase this so my tired mind can understand what you mean? The ordinary would be those parts that do not change week to week such as the Credo, Gloria, Sanctus, etc.. (If I were to speculate, I would guess that these are the chants which add most of the length to your typical Missa Cantata) The propers are the variable parts, Introit, Collect, etc., some of which will be chanted during a sung or solemn Mass.
Basilisa Marie Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Based off what everyone always said about them, I thought the Latin Mass was going to be a magical experience that would leave me in awe the entire time and question the validity of Vatican II. It didn't. Rather, I was confused the whole time, I didn't know what was going on, and the Priest was praying so fast the whole time that you couldn't keep up with him with the book. The homily was good, though. I feel like I've been lied to. :| But in all seriousness, I didn't feel as if there was "more reverence" as opposed to the Novus Ordo. It felt like a valid Mass, but with the extra bonus of me not feeling bad for not being able to pay attention. One of the many reasons why the Novus Ordo came to be is that the Extraordinary Form is super hard on new people. Mass is mass, and the more you put "into" it, the more you'll "get out of" it - whether the liturgy includes Latin and incense or altar girls and songs from the 1970s.
LadyOfSorrows Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 One of the many reasons why the Novus Ordo came to be is that the Extraordinary Form is super hard on new people. Mass is mass, and the more you put "into" it, the more you'll "get out of" it - whether the liturgy includes Latin and incense or altar girls and songs from the 1970s. Mass may be Mass, but I prefer when Jesus is reverenced as he deserves...
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 One of the many reasons why the Novus Ordo came to be is that the Extraordinary Form is super hard on new people. Mass is mass, and the more you put "into" it, the more you'll "get out of" it - whether the liturgy includes Latin and incense or altar girls and songs from the 1970s. I was with you until you mentioned songs from the 1970's. ;)
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 Mass may be Mass, but I prefer when Jesus is reverenced as he deserves... Of course. But reverence can happen in the Novus Ordo. There is nothing less reverent in it. Sometimes the Priests are not reverent at them, but sometimes Priests are not reverent at the Extraordinary Form, either.
LadyOfSorrows Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Of course. But reverence can happen in the Novus Ordo. There is nothing less reverent in it. Sometimes the Priests are not reverent at them, but sometimes Priests are not reverent at the Extraordinary Form, either. Of course. Referring to 70's music referenced, FP ;) And liturgical dance, and leaving before the recessional, and everything else that is not quite appropriate during the Mass. I love a reverent Novus Ordo just like a reverent Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Unfortunately, they can be harder to find... :unsure:
ToJesusMyHeart Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Mass may be Mass, but I prefer when Jesus is reverenced as he deserves... Amen. Of course. But reverence can happen in the Novus Ordo. There is nothing less reverent in it. Sometimes the Priests are not reverent at them, but sometimes Priests are not reverent at the Extraordinary Form, either. This is a matter of opinion, not a fact. There is (usually) nothing less valid about the novus ordo, but that doesn't mean it is equally as reverent as a properly done Latin Mass. The ordinary mass can certainly be celebrated much less reverently than at the Extraordinary Mass, and still be a "valid" mass. But it most certainly has the capability to be super irreverent. And it is, where I live. So I don't go there.
LadyOfSorrows Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Come to think of it, I don't think I've been to a Mass in the Extraordinary Form that wasn't reverent. Can anyone back me up on this? Could it be that it's just more structured?
PhuturePriest Posted April 24, 2013 Author Posted April 24, 2013 Amen. This is a matter of opinion, not a fact. There is (usually) nothing less valid about the novus ordo, but that doesn't mean it is equally as reverent as a properly done Latin Mass. The ordinary mass can certainly be celebrated much less reverently than at the Extraordinary Mass, and still be a "valid" mass. But it most certainly has the capability to be super irreverent. And it is, where I live. So I don't go there. The bolded words are key. And what of a properly done Novus Ordo Mass? You can have a completely irreverent Latin Mass versus a normally done Novus Ordo Mass, of course the normal one will seem more reverent. There is no "This Mass is more reverent simply because it is this Mass". They are both the Mass, they are both valid, and are both condoned by every Pope since Pope Paul VI.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now