An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Went To A Latin Mass

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Mass may be Mass, but I prefer when Jesus is reverenced as he deserves...

Of course. But reverence can happen in the Novus Ordo. There is nothing less reverent in it. Sometimes the Priests are not reverent at them, but sometimes Priests are not reverent at the Extraordinary Form, either.

LadyOfSorrows

Of course. But reverence can happen in the Novus Ordo. There is nothing less reverent in it. Sometimes the Priests are not reverent at them, but sometimes Priests are not reverent at the Extraordinary Form, either.

Of course. Referring to 70's music referenced, FP ;)

And liturgical dance, and leaving before the recessional, and everything else that is not quite appropriate during the Mass. I love a reverent Novus Ordo just like a reverent Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Unfortunately, they can be harder to find... :unsure:

ToJesusMyHeart

Mass may be Mass, but I prefer when Jesus is reverenced as he deserves...

Amen. 

This is a matter of opinion, not a fact. There is (usually) nothing less valid about the novus ordo, but that doesn't mean it is equally as reverent as a properly done Latin Mass. The ordinary mass can certainly be celebrated much less reverently than at the Extraordinary Mass, and still be a "valid" mass. But it most certainly has the capability to be super irreverent. And it is, where I live. So I don't go there. 

LadyOfSorrows

Come to think of it, I don't think I've been to a Mass in the Extraordinary Form that wasn't reverent. Can anyone back me up on this? Could it be that it's just more structured?

PhuturePriest

Amen. 

This is a matter of opinion, not a fact. There is (usually) nothing less valid about the novus ordo, but that doesn't mean it is equally as reverent as a properly done Latin Mass. The ordinary mass can certainly be celebrated much less reverently than at the Extraordinary Mass, and still be a "valid" mass. But it most certainly has the capability to be super irreverent. And it is, where I live. So I don't go there. 

The bolded words are key. And what of a properly done Novus Ordo Mass? You can have a completely irreverent Latin Mass versus a normally done Novus Ordo Mass, of course the normal one will seem more reverent. There is no "This Mass is more reverent simply because it is this Mass". They are both the Mass, they are both valid, and are both condoned by every Pope since Pope Paul VI.

ToJesusMyHeart

Of course. Referring to 70's music referenced, FP ;)

And liturgical dance, and leaving before the recessional, and everything else that is not quite appropriate during the Mass. I love a reverent Novus Ordo just like a reverent Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Unfortunately, they can be harder to find... :unsure:

Exactly. 

Come to think of it, I don't think I've been to a Mass in the Extraordinary Form that wasn't reverent. Can anyone back me up on this? Could it be that it's just more structured?

Same here. All Extraordinary Masses I've been to have been perfectly reverent.

On the flip side, 97% of novus ordo masses I've been to have had abuses in them. 

ToJesusMyHeart

The bolded words are key. And what of a properly done Novus Ordo Mass? You can have a completely irreverent Latin Mass versus a normally done Novus Ordo Mass, of course the normal one will seem more reverent. There is no "This Mass is more reverent simply because it is this Mass". They are both the Mass, they are both valid, and are both condoned by every Pope since Pope Paul VI.

I've never been to an irreverent Latin Mass. I've been to countless irreverent, abused novus ordo masses. That speaks for itself. 

They are both valid, like I said. Nobody here is arguing that. But one is very often less reverent than the other. 

ToJesusMyHeart

The bolded words are key. And what of a properly done Novus Ordo Mass? 

I love properly done Novus ordo masses. 

I just haven't experienced that in like 5 years. So it seems impossible to me.

LadyOfSorrows

FP, you just went to your first Latin Mass...have you ever attended an irreverent Latin Mass?

I think you may be missing the point...just because the Novus Ordo is accepted, doesn't mean every Novus Ordo Mass is reverent. In fact, Pope Benedict XVI tried to clean up a lot of it. ToJesusMyHeart made a good point-- a Mass can be valid, but it doesn't mean it's glorifying God in all that it can...

PhuturePriest

FP, you just went to your first Latin Mass...have you ever attended an irreverent Latin Mass?

I think you may be missing the point...just because the Novus Ordo is accepted, doesn't mean every Novus Ordo Mass is reverent. In fact, Pope Benedict XVI tried to clean up a lot of it. ToJesusMyHeart made a good point-- a Mass can be valid, but it doesn't mean it's glorifying God in all that it can...

Actually, I've been to two. One when I was much younger and couldn't read, so I especially couldn't pay attention. But using your logic, and I say that just because the Latin Mass is accepted, it doesn't mean every single one is done reverently. Yes, there are abuses in the Novus Ordo. But my problem is that people that hold to the Latin Mass have a sense of "The Latin Mass is superior because it's in Latin". And whether you think it is or not, a lot of traditionalists (And I'm a traditionalist) believe that it is superior to the Novus Ordo. That's how schisms and divisions happen in the Church.

It is pretty sad that you cannot expect the Archbishop of Los Angeles to celebrate a reverent liturgy at the Archdiocesan sponsored Religious Education Congress. Dozens of bishops as concelebrants and the liturgy presented is odd to say the least.

Nihil Obstat

Unfortunately no amount of reverence can change the fact that the Consilium did not appear to have appropriate respect for the ancient propers of the Roman Rite. :(

PhuturePriest

It is pretty sad that you cannot expect the Archbishop of Los Angeles to celebrate a reverent liturgy at the Archdiocesan sponsored Religious Education Congress. Dozens of bishops as concelebrants and the liturgy presented is odd to say the least.

It's Los Angeles. Can you really expect much?

It's Los Angeles. Can you really expect much?

It is the Catholic Church in that region and so, yes, I expect a lot of it. If the worship of the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church in a particular region cannot be reverent then it follows that something is terribly wrong with the Church in question.

Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches in the Los Angeles area do not have strange liturgies. I expect that the same should be true of the Latin Church in the area.