MIKolbe Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 I often wonder if there is a parallel between the quote from BL. JPII hoping the church could breathe with both lungs, and the two forms of the Mass... perhaps attendance in both forms would foster a deeper love of liturgy, Christ, and his Church?
Papist Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Based off what everyone always said about them, I thought the Latin Mass was going to be a magical experience that would leave me in awe the entire time and question the validity of Vatican II. It didn't. Rather, I was confused the whole time, I didn't know what was going on, and the Priest was praying so fast the whole time that you couldn't keep up with him with the book. The homily was good, though. I feel like I've been lied to. :| But in all seriousness, I didn't feel as if there was "more reverence" as opposed to the Novus Ordo. It felt like a valid Mass, but with the extra bonus of me not feeling bad for not being able to pay attention. I suggest read this book, Latin-English Booklet Missal For Praying The Traditional Mass. I am currently reading it and I think it will help you.
Apotheoun Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 I recommend attending the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. :smile4:
dominicansoul Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 (edited) My first Latin Mass experience made me feel relieved that we had the Novus Ordo Mass. I could better understand why the changes came about. I think it is great we have both forms. I've come to appreciate the Latin Mass after years of attendance, so I personally wouldn't critique that form of the Mass after just one attendance. Edited April 24, 2013 by dominicansoul
Basilisa Marie Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 Yeah, um, unpopular opinion time. Because while growing up my home parish used some icky Marty Haugen 1970s songs during mass, those songs actually make it easier for me to "get into" a proper state for mass. I know, it's shocking. :| Point being that even though most "good" Catholics might think those songs are icky, for some people they're an important way into a proper spiritual disposition for the liturgy. And maybe we should be able to respect the fact that the Church has a wealth of liturgies and just because it's hard for me to pay attention during an EF doesn't mean that I can say it's less reverent, or just because a parish has a simple altar, felt banners and a guitar doesn't mean the people pray less fervently than others. We can address spiritual abuses without it turning into us inflicting what we're most comfortable with in the liturgy on other people.
Kateri89 Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 The only time I went to a Latin mass was for my cousin's wedding and that was over 5 years ago. I remember being completely lost. I think that reverence can be found in the Novus Ordo as well (after all, that's really the only form I attend) but I know that the conservative attire of parishioners and certain practices like genuflecting are more present at the LM. I wish my parish priest would make an announcement before the start of mass asking people to wait to leave the church until after the closing hymn is sung and to please exit quietly so people can make thanksgiving without such noisy distractions.
dominicansoul Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 I hope to attend a Byzantine Rite Mass or a Maronite Rite or a Dominican Rite Mass in the future! The Catholic Church is filled with so many different approved Rites, its not just the Latin Mass and Novus Ordo. I'm sure those rites will be very different for me, and perhaps I will not automatically want to change rites. lol. But, I think it is good to experience all the beautiful Masses God has given us!
CrossCuT Posted April 24, 2013 Posted April 24, 2013 I grew up with the Latin mass and I really enjoy it. My church is also very large so it supplies translations at every mass for those who dont know the latin. I also sing Renaissance Polyphony (in latin) for some of the masses. It think its something you have to get used to.
MarysLittleFlower Posted April 25, 2013 Posted April 25, 2013 (edited) I felt really confused the first times I went to the Latin Mass too... but then I noticed something was drawing me back, so I kept going :) now I love it Edited April 25, 2013 by MarysLittleFlower
jim111 Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 The Tridentine is not about emotions or feelings, its superior because of its guard against heresy, and symbolism, paked into every possbible part of the mass. All the way down to the position of the holy water font. I did not apprectate it till I had a goood understanding of the mass. After reading the Spirit of "The liturgy by Pope Benedict XVI" by Pope Benedict XVI, the mass came alive, and I became a passionate supporter of the Tridentine. Here is a little sample of what im talking about. Watch here
the171 Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 You know, I might be crazy here, but isn't every mass a guard against heresy?
arfink Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 Mass may be Mass, but I prefer when Jesus is reverenced as he deserves... When I go to mass, the only part of the reverence Jesus deserves that I have control over is what I choose to give to Him in my own participation. I am very blessed to be able to go to mass at a place that does the ordinary form very reverently and with no abuses. Such places are more common than you might think, at least they are more common than parishes which offer an extraordinary form mass.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 You know, I might be crazy here, but isn't every mass a guard against heresy? In theory yes. In practice certainly not. God help us.
homeschoolmom Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 The Tridentine is not about emotions or feelings, its superior because of its guard against heresy, and symbolism, paked into every possbible part of the mass. All the way down to the position of the holy water font. I did not apprectate it till I had a goood understanding of the mass. After reading the Spirit of "The liturgy by Pope Benedict XVI" by Pope Benedict XVI, the mass came alive, and I became a passionate supporter of the Tridentine. Here is a little sample of what im talking about. Watch here Hi. Welcome to Phatmass. We don't argue over which mass is superior here. Please reread the phorum guidelines if you haven't done so already. This post posted many years back probably best articulates my feelings on the NO and the Traditional Latin Mass. (I wish I could take credit for it. It was written by Terra Firma) 2007 Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show 2006 Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show Two very different dogs, both retaining the essence of "dogness" but still exhibiting quite different characteristics in the details. Both judged "Best in Show," so they're awarded equal dignity and respect. Is one better? Only when it comes to individual preference. Objectively, both do honor to the concept of "dog" equally well -- demonstrating the form of dog differently yet still maintaining an essential dogginess. So the owner of the bull terrier, while he may love his dog deeply, may not say to the owner of the spaniel that the spaniel is not as good simply because it earned its award a year later. Both are deemed worthy of the same level of appropriate honor and respect.
LadyOfSorrows Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 Hi. Welcome to Phatmass. We don't argue over which mass is superior here. Please reread the phorum guidelines if you haven't done so already. This post posted many years back probably best articulates my feelings on the NO and the Traditional Latin Mass. (I wish I could take credit for it. It was written by Terra Firma) 2007 Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show 2006 Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show Two very different dogs, both retaining the essence of "dogness" but still exhibiting quite different characteristics in the details. Both judged "Best in Show," so they're awarded equal dignity and respect. Is one better? Only when it comes to individual preference. Objectively, both do honor to the concept of "dog" equally well -- demonstrating the form of dog differently yet still maintaining an essential dogginess. So the owner of the bull terrier, while he may love his dog deeply, may not say to the owner of the spaniel that the spaniel is not as good simply because it earned its award a year later. Both are deemed worthy of the same level of appropriate honor and respect. Although, there is a reason certain bull terriers or spaniels cannot win "Best in Show."
Apotheoun Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 And the winner is: The Byzantine Divine Liturgy. :winner:
homeschoolmom Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 And the winner is: The Byzantine Divine Liturgy. :winner: Is that some sort of show cat?
Apotheoun Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 Is that some sort of show cat? No its not about a dog, like the Roman Rite depicted in the pictures above; instead, its about God. Postscipt: It is pretty clear that in the Roman Rite dog show comparison picture number one is the older rite, because the woman is kneeling.
Maggyie Posted April 26, 2013 Posted April 26, 2013 I have been to several EF masses where liturgical abuse took place. Or at least, where the liturgy was very poorly done. I think a lot of times people think the EF masses they've been to went off without a hitch - because they really have no idea what the priest is supposed to be doing up there or what he's saying vs supposed to be saying . Whereas in an OF mass the carpiness is front and center. It takes quite a bit of effort to celebrate the EF well. With all the carefully choreographed movements and gestures it is easy even for someone who has practiced to make a shambles of it. Easier than in the OF, where any monkey could do it (if the monkey were somehow... ordained). MANY celebrants in the EF are lacking in Latin pronunciation, which is very grave. How sure are you that your priest said the words correctly at the Consecration, that he didn't lose his place, skip a word, mispronounce a word? If you go to an FSSP or Institute of Christ the King parish you are mostly sure. But actually you are never completely sure since you can't hear what he's saying. If you go to a regular local parish that added an EF after Summorum Pontificum, your chances of hearing a "perfect" Mass fall quite low I'm afraid.
Apotheoun Posted April 27, 2013 Posted April 27, 2013 I agree. In my 18 years as a member of the Latin Church I saw mistakes made at both forms of the Roman Rite liturgy, but what I never saw at the Extraordinary Form of the Mass were clowns, kids on roller skates, a woman standing with the priest at the altar wearing a stole, etc. A well celebrated Mass (Ordinary or Extraordinary Form) is a wonderful thing, and I would count as well celebrated a liturgy that included unintentional mistakes. After all people make mistakes every day.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now