An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Went To A Latin Mass

PhuturePriest

homeschoolmom

And the winner is:  The Byzantine Divine Liturgy.   :winner:

Is that some sort of show cat?

Is that some sort of show cat?

No its not about a dog, like the Roman Rite depicted in the pictures above; instead, its about God.

Postscipt: It is pretty clear that in the Roman Rite dog show comparison picture number one is the older rite, because the woman is kneeling.

I have been to several EF masses where liturgical abuse took place. Or at least, where the liturgy was very poorly done.

I think a lot of times people think the EF masses they've been to went off without a hitch - because they really have no idea what the priest is supposed to be doing up there or what he's saying vs supposed to be saying . Whereas in an OF mass the carpiness is front and center.

It takes quite a bit of effort to celebrate the EF well. With all the carefully choreographed movements and gestures it is easy even for someone who has practiced to make a shambles of it. Easier than in the OF, where any monkey could do it (if the monkey were somehow... ordained). MANY celebrants in the EF are lacking in Latin pronunciation, which is very grave. How sure are you that your priest said the words correctly at the Consecration, that he didn't lose his place, skip a word, mispronounce a word? If you go to an FSSP or Institute of Christ the King parish you are mostly sure. But actually you are never completely sure since you can't hear what he's saying. If you go to a regular local parish that added an EF after Summorum Pontificum, your chances of hearing a "perfect" Mass fall quite low I'm afraid.

I agree. In my 18 years as a member of the Latin Church I saw mistakes made at both forms of the Roman Rite liturgy, but what I never saw at the Extraordinary Form of the Mass were clowns, kids on roller skates, a woman standing with the priest at the altar wearing a stole, etc. A well celebrated Mass (Ordinary or Extraordinary Form) is a wonderful thing, and I would count as well celebrated a liturgy that included unintentional mistakes. After all people make mistakes every day.

homeschoolmom

No its not about a dog, like the Roman Rite depicted in the pictures above; instead, its about God.

Postscipt: It is pretty clear that in the Roman Rite dog show comparison picture number one is the older rite, because the woman is kneeling.

True, but she is not wearing a chapel veil-- because she's at a dog show. :|