An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Wrong For Men To Be Shirtless In The Presence Of Women?

jim111

In May 1946 the Canadian Bishops directed these words on modesty
to men: "Man himself does not escape from the inclination of
exhibiting his flesh: some go in public, stripped to the waste,
 or in very tight pants or in very scanty bathing suits. They thus commit
offenses against the virtue of modesty. They may also be an
occasion of sin (in thought or desire) for our neighbor."

Nihil Obstat

In May 1946 the Canadian Bishops directed these words on modesty
to men: "Man himself does not escape from the inclination of
exhibiting his flesh: some go in public, stripped to the waste,
 or in very tight pantaloons or in very scanty bathing suits. They thus commit
offenses against the virtue of modesty. They may also be an
occasion of sin (in thought or desire) for our neighbor."

Unfortunately, twenty years later the Canadian bishops wrote the Winnipeg Statement. :( To this day they still have not officially withdrawn or repudiated it, although subsequent statement in 1973 and 2008 did somewhat turn away from the Winnipeg Statement. That said, in 1998 they voted on whether or not to officially withdraw it, and they chose not to.

Unfortunately, twenty years later the Canadian bishops wrote the Winnipeg Statement. :( To this day they still have not officially withdrawn or repudiated it, although subsequent statement in 1973 and 2008 did somewhat turn away from the Winnipeg Statement. That said, in 1998 they voted on whether or not to officially withdraw it, and they chose not to.

I thought for sure this would not  be the same bishop Is there any truth to this statement?

Edited by jim111

Nihil Obstat

I thought for sure this would not  be the same bishop Is there any truth to this statement?

Presumably some of the bishops would be the same.

I am just saying, Bishops' Conferences can release stupid drivel, as well as solid pastoral guidance, and three guesses as to which the Winnipeg Statement was. I was meaning for a while to write to my bishop and the presiding Archbishop to ask if they have any plans on voting again to withdraw it. But I always forget to do so.

Nihil Obstat

I would say that in a normal, public, everyday context, men should not be running around shirtless or wearing pants that are excessively tight.

PhuturePriest

I would say that in a normal, public, everyday context, men should not be running around shirtless or wearing pants that are excessively tight.

I'm with you on the tight pants simply because they are quite painful.

I've worn a swim shirt swimming before but gave up on it. I don't swim much for it to matter to me though. Personally I won't go shirtless in front of women in most settings unless it is for a very short amount of time and can be done discreetly. Example: quick shirt change to switch from dark to light for a sports team.

I think the claim that men can run around shirtless in front of women without occasioning sin in the women makes the assumption that women are "less sexual" than men. Which is a common assumption, but just flat-out wrong.

You could argue that women are desensitized to shirtless men by the sheer prevalence of shirtless men in our society, but then you could make the same argument about scantily clad women—which no one does.

CatholicsAreKewl

Is it wrong for you or other men to be shirtless in the presence of women?
No, not at all.
Is it wrong for ME to be shirtless in the presence of women?
I've spent many sleepless nights pondering this exact question.

ChristinaTherese

It annoys me when men go around shirtless. (It also annoys me somewhat when women show cleavage, but I'm female and I can't change how my friends dress. Anyway.)

I've seen too many times that it looks like other female college students are taking delight in men with no shirts on for me to not think it's wrong. However, I see no problem with it at all when swimming. (Speedos are another question entirely, though.)