An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Wrong For Men To Be Shirtless In The Presence Of Women?

jim111

To actually contribute something to this thread, I would think in the context of swimming its fine, but in most others it isn't. Personally I don't wear a shirt when swimming, but will put one on ASAP after getting out of the water.   

Nihil Obstat

You are right. On the other hand, "art" can be created to deliberately incite lust. Cf. the crucifix of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

Or this:

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/mary-magdalene-in-the-cave-jules-joseph-lefebvre-.jpg

"Mary Magdalene in the Cave"? I don't think so.

I do not think that intentionally incites lust. And I am a pretty red-blooded male.

I do not think that intentionally incites lust. And I am a pretty red-blooded male.

Well, you're entitled to your own stoopid opinion on this one, Nihil. :-P

Nihil Obstat

Well, you're entitled to your own stoopid opinion on this one, Nihil. :-P

Oh, are we trolling and I missed it? :(

This.  

Oh, are we trolling and I missed it? :(

So you disagree with the example. Do you disagree with the principle that art could intentionally incite lust?

I'm really glad this is more of a discussion than a flat-out argument. :)

IMHO there's no reason for a guy to go shirtless in mixed company unless maybe (maybe) he is swimming. Whatever, I choose to wear a shirt in public. Because why not.

Nihil Obstat

One of my favorite pieces is this one which is quite evocative. But very artistically valuable, influential, tasteful, etc.. The proper context in which the human form as an artistic subject can be appreciated.

Jean-Auguste-Dominique_Ingres_-_Reclinin

Nihil Obstat

So you disagree with the example. Do you disagree with the principle that art could intentionally incite lust?

Just the example. :) I think it is beautiful and tasteful.

One of my favorite pieces is this one which is quite evocative. But very artistically valuable, influential, tasteful, etc.. The proper context in which the human form as an artistic subject can be appreciated.

Jean-Auguste-Dominique_Ingres_-_Reclinin

Well, in that one there's other stuff going on. In the one I posted Mary Magdalene (who was, at the time, widely believed to be a woman of ill repute) takes up 90% of the portrait and is giving "the gaze" to the viewer. She's beautiful, don't get me wrong. But I question the intent of that portrait.

Just the example. :) I think it is beautiful and tasteful.

WHY?

We are fallen and do not need this temptation. Yes, i can look at it without lusting. However I can also choose to look at a girl with a cleavage without lusting too. The reason the church has rules foe these women is because man is tempted by has fallen nature, I don't know how the same rules do not apply to paintings.

WHY?

We are fallen and do not need this temptation. Yes, i can look at it without lusting. However I can also choose to look at a girl with a cleavage without lusting too. The reason the church has rules foe these women is because man is tempted by has fallen nature, I don't know how the same rules do not apply to paintings.

Whoa there, Jimmy boy. "These" women?  :annoyed:

Chestertonian

How about sleeveless shirts? They okay? I'd hate to have to put the guns away.

PhuturePriest

Whoa there, Jimmy boy. "These" women?  :annoyed:

I noted the wording in that, too.

How about sleeveless shirts? They okay? I'd hate to have to put the guns away.

How about chubbies?