An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Wrong For Men To Be Shirtless In The Presence Of Women?

jim111

ROFL! funniest thread title ever. :hehe:

Agreed

Hey, one just cannot keep something like this to oneself. The joy is meant to be shared.

ugly-christmas-sweater.jpg

I dont know how to explain what I am feeling after seeing this

It is incredibly wrong for me to be shirtless in the presence of women.

wrong, cruel, disgusting... take your pick.

I was referring to the crucifix at the back of the church, outside, the one all the tour books describe as "the boner crucifix". (Sorry.)

Have you actually seen it? Because I have tried for over an hour now to find photos of it, and I can't find anything.

I even went so far as to open up Google maps and take a trip around the block, virtually, looking at it from every angle. Google also finds photos of the building and hovers icons there, which you can pop open to see other people's photos of what you are looking at. The back side of the church is almost completely blank, and has no figural carving at all. The only crucifix on the outside is the one I showed a picture of. Are you sure you're thinking of the right church?

Take a look at what I mean:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sagrada+Familia,+Barcelona,+Spain&hl=en&ll=41.404147,2.174024&spn=0.001288,0.00327&sll=46.44186,-93.36129&sspn=9.631618,26.784668&oq=sagrada+familia&hq=Sagrada+Familia,+Barcelona,+Spain&radius=15000&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.403999,2.173827&panoid=B2N8TOf4Wd5pcFOwd2BU6A&cbp=12,145.34,,0,-21.19

Edited by arfink

Have you actually seen it? Because I have tried for over an hour now to find photos of it, and I can't find anything.

I even went so far as to open up Google maps and take a trip around the block, virtually, looking at it from every angle. Google also finds photos of the building and hovers icons there, which you can pop open to see other people's photos of what you are looking at. The back side of the church is almost completely blank, and has no figural carving at all. The only crucifix on the outside is the one I showed a picture of. Are you sure you're thinking of the right church?

Take a look at what I mean:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sagrada+Familia,+Barcelona,+Spain&hl=en&ll=41.404147,2.174024&spn=0.001288,0.00327&sll=46.44186,-93.36129&sspn=9.631618,26.784668&oq=sagrada+familia&hq=Sagrada+Familia,+Barcelona,+Spain&radius=15000&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.403999,2.173827&panoid=B2N8TOf4Wd5pcFOwd2BU6A&cbp=12,145.34,,0,-21.19

I'm sure. I've seen it. It's the church in Barcelona by Gaudi (I took a Gaudi tour—love the guy). I don't remember what it looks like, though. I just remember that when I saw it, I thought, "Wow, yeah, that's definitely... prominent." In which case, it may be the one you showed. Or they may have taken it down (I kinda' doubt it, though). Possibly the guide book just "framed" my perception of the crucifix. But I do recall it really being quite... prominent.

I'm sure. I've seen it. It's the church in Barcelona by Gaudi (I took a Gaudi tour—love the guy). I don't remember what it looks like, though. I just remember that when I saw it, I thought, "Wow, yeah, that's definitely... prominent." In which case, it may be the one you showed. Or they may have taken it down (I kinda' doubt it, though). Possibly the guide book just "framed" my perception of the crucifix. But I do recall it really being quite... prominent.

Look again at the crucifixion fascade. Jesus is without his loin cloth, but it's most definitely not erotic. Not even close. There is no other crucifix on the outside of the building. The "prominence" is probably just because it's there, not because it's really huge or anything.

On the interior they have a very wonderful crucifix which I think is really beautiful. BTW, I am also a big Gaudi fan.

dpp_0936_filtered.jpg

Edited by arfink

It is very well established within Catholic tradition that the human form, including the nude human form, is entirely appropriate within the context of art.

I think the council of Trent said something else... but I might be mistaken. I'll look for quotes.

Moreover, in the invocation of saints, the veneration of relics, and the sacred use of
images, every superstition shall be removed, all filthy lucre be abolished; finally, all
lasciviousness be [Page 236] avoided; in such wise that figures shall not be painted
or adorned with a beauty exciting to lust; nor the celebration of the saints, and the
visitation of relics be by any perverted into revellings and drunkenness; as if festivals
are celebrated to the honour of the saints by luxury and wantonness.

Trent Session 25.

After this naked art in the churches was covered up.

Why is naked people a legitimate form of art Nihil?

PhuturePriest

Moreover, in the invocation of saints, the veneration of relics, and the sacred use of
images, every superstition shall be removed, all filthy lucre be abolished; finally, all
lasciviousness be [Page 236] avoided; in such wise that figures shall not be painted
or adorned with a beauty exciting to lust; nor the celebration of the saints, and the
visitation of relics be by any perverted into revellings and drunkenness; as if festivals

Trent Session 25.

If you'll note, there have been a few more councils since the Council of Trent, and now the images in the Sistine Chapel have been uncovered. In fact, Pope John Paul II (Or was it Benedict XVI?) ordered that they do this.

If you'll note, there have been a few more councils since the Council of Trent, and now the images in the Sistine Chapel have been uncovered. In fact, Pope John Paul II (Or was it Benedict XVI?) ordered that they do this.

It was Pope John Paul II. I don't like it when the popes implement polices that contradict 100's of years of tradition and Infallible councils.

Edited by jim111

PhuturePriest

It was Pope John Paul II. I don't like it when the popes implement polices that contradict 100's of years of tradition and Infallible councils.

Counsels aren't infallible unless they are addressing doctrine. There is no doctrine concerning art, therefore what they said at Trent concerning art is not infallible.

Trent Session 25.

Again, context context context! You always strip these things of context! You need to provide more citation than that, because frankly I think there is simply too much missing here.