An Old School Catholic Message Board

Inappropriate Posts On Phatmass

dUSt

People shouldn't be called whores because they talk about yogurt. It swings both ways.

Swings both ways!

Get it?

I agree, but in the even that someone DOESNT get it...lets not be meanies :)

Norseman82

I don't appreciate the term "prude police". I am just a dude trying to be holy and failing often. I'm also a father that struggles heavily trying to raise kids with morals. If phatmass isn't a place that I'd feel comfortable allowing my 15 year old daughter visit, then there is no point in keeping this website active. Phatmass has always been open to different views, and I despise over moderation--but that was back when the well grounded, moral, Catholic voice FAR outweighed any other voice. If this is no longer the case, it is not something I will tolerate, and will be forced to clean house.

I am not "holier than thou", but I am a guy who strives for perfection--as we all should--despite failing more often than not. When we become complacent with something other than perfection, we become lukewarm.

i'm a grown-**** woman and I know a sex joke when I see one.

I dont care what happened in the chat, I come on for my phatmass comfort phood and instead its all these yogurt inside jokes with lots of wink*wink*nudge*nudge. thats the definition of innuendo. Come on.

Next someone's going to tell the lyrics to "milkshake" aren't sexual. that was also in a thread.

what's not being applied is common sense. "inside jokes" no matter the content are rude to talk about on a public phorum. Isn't this what wound up happening last time there was a "chat" incident, it was all about a certain clique getting started and spoiling things for everyone else?

Phatmass has far more lurkers than members, and of course they're not going to know what the carp you're talking about when you post something from "inside." They're going to interpret everything at face value.

Duh.

So I think a lot of this can be avoided in the future by keeping in mind that this is a public form devoted to religious purposes, not a bar. If you want to have adults-only conversation you should have that conversation somewhere where there are only like-minded adults.

Again. Duh.

Even though I did not see what was deleted, I have witnessed the ensuing debate and I agree with the above. 

What Maggie posts reminds me of is the chant of the protesters on live TV at the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago:  "The whole world is watching".  We need to remember that this is a Catholic site and there are many people that we may not know about that could be lurking these forums.  I have no problem with "inside jokes" and "silliniess" as long as it is not done in an unCatholic way.  As Catholics we need to be "salt for the earth", but when I look at the way many Catholics live (and I'm not just talking about here; in fact, it's far worse on Catholic Answers forum and real life), I wonder if we are being co-opted by the world and our salt going flat.  We should show the world that you can be fun while still not compromising our Catholic identity and that doing things God's way truly is the best and that it pays to do things His way. 

If we value the name "Catholic", let's start acting like it! 

Winchester

I agree, but in the even that someone DOESNT get it...lets not be meanies :)

You play your game, and I'll play mine.

Phatmass has always been open to different views, and I despise over moderation--but that was back when the well grounded, moral, Catholic voice FAR outweighed any other voice

Dude, I missed the thread and all the apparently related drama, but 99% of the time, your moderation is definitely with a *very* deft hand.  I've seen threads, that if they were on the Dune board I moderate, I'd have brought the modly hammer down on them that you or your mods have just pretty much defused just by telling people to act like decent human beings.

You know things are bad when you actually miss Budge's debate threads.

Actually, to be totally serious, Budge helped me convert to Catholicism.  Watching you and others just tear apart her entire anti-Catholic ravings really helped solidify the Faith for me.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

This conversation is so stupid I can't even begin to say. dUSt has spoken, and it seems like everyone respects what he said, so can this just be dropped? There is a LOT of clique-iness and a LOT of things that have obviously been spoken purely out of personal distaste for other people. I feel that is where this conversation has ended up, so I think it would be wise if this thread was locked since people obviously don't know when to stop. I am disgusted by how rude people have had to be over something that has already been settled by the webmaster.

Let's pray, folks.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

FCC out.

This conversation is so stupid I can't even begin to say. dUSt has spoken, and it seems like everyone respects what he said, so can this just be dropped?

I think some people are trying to help Dust understand what the threads were about since he didn't  know the whole story.

I actually feel like some really good stuff has come of this conversation. For the most part, no one has personally called anyone else out on anything. People have made suggestions for how to improve PM. A lot of people have talked about "the way things were", which gives me, at least, insight into how PM has developed over time and why the mods do things the way they do (out of experience). Some have managed to express feelings calmly without that leading to another fight or personal attack.

I think it's been quite productive. :-)

We've had worse threads than the one deleted, anyone remember the "Master Baiting techniques" thread? Granted that one's gone now but it took several years for it to be deleted.

It seems like all the people here complaining about a couple of jokes they didnt get, making the phorum and thus somehow catholics in general look bad, have never heard of the Streisand Effect.

No guys, dont worry, im sure the post that everyone would have forgot about the next day, will only ever truly be invisible and stopped if we perpetuate countless drama about its shortlived existence.

LittleWaySoul

It seems like all the people here complaining about a couple of jokes they didnt get, making the phorum and thus somehow catholics in general look bad, have never heard of the Streisand Effect.

No guys, dont worry, im sure the post that everyone would have forgot about the next day, will only ever truly be invisible and stopped if we perpetuate countless drama about its shortlived existence.

This.

KnightofChrist

Respectfully I must disagree with what seems to be common argument used in defending those who made the inappropriate posts.

I'll grant that it was not their intent to post sexual and inappropriate posts on a Catholic community website, however some of them were very easily mistaken as sexual and inappropriate. Hasan's post for example (really difficult to see how that was not meant to be sexual), and another would be the 171's post quoting a song that was sexual in nature, as well as the others. I take them at their word that they did not intent their inside jokes to be sexual in nature, but they should admit they used poor judgment, lacked maturity and should be more understanding of why people didn't get their jokes and thought they were sexual. It's disingenuous to put blame on those took issue with the inappropriate posts it's not their fault they didn't get inside jokes that from the outside look as if they were sexual and inappropriate.

Actually, to be totally serious, Budge helped me convert to Catholicism.  Watching you and others just tear apart her entire anti-Catholic ravings really helped solidify the Faith for me.

I must admit I enjoyed Budge's goofball posts (and Stormstopper's too). Nostalgia.