An Old School Catholic Message Board

Inappropriate Posts On Phatmass

dUSt

This is weird.

I feel more uncomfortable with all of the underlying tension I'm sensing lately. It's really weird bros.

To Jesus Through Mary

What I felt was ugly was less the sexual jokes- which whatever, not cool but not uncommon. But the exchanges between some of the posters was ugly, rude, and not very Christian. It was sad to see some of my favorite posters write what the did. But meh, we all have bad nights I guess.

HisChildForever

I, too, posted in the thread that referenced song lyrics. But I honestly just thought I was making a funny play on words since we were talking about food. I certainly wasn't thinking "Gee, how can I make yogurt sexy AND scandalize 90% of phatmass?" Especially since we were laughing about yogurt since 171's cat was eating it.

One of my cats (God rest her little heart) used to lick yogurt...and bagels, and lettuce, and tomatoes... :cry4: 

HisChildForever

Maybe I'm out of line here, but...

I think the forum needs more moderators. No, not to go around deleting posts and banning people, but so a group of people can discuss what's going on, feel out the situation, and decide together what action to take. I mean, for example, Ice, Red, and FH could've balanced Dust's perspective and even properly explained the situation (as I gather at least FH was "in" on the yogurt joke). I'm not criticizing Dust or his actions at all, btw - but having a moderating team again could help prevent the kind of backlash we see in this thread.

OnlySunshine

I think the forum needs more moderators. No, not to go around deleting posts and banning people, but so a group of people can discuss what's going on, feel out the situation, and decide together what action to take. I mean, for example, Ice, Red, and FH could've balanced Dust's perspective and even properly explained the situation (as I gather at least FH was "in" on the yogurt joke). I'm not criticizing Dust or his actions at all, btw - but having a moderating team again could help prevent the kind of backlash we see in this thread.

I wasn't going to post here anymore on this thread but I tend to agree.  I've sent in reports that haven't been answered as quickly as when there were more than 2 mods.  I really appreciate what dUSt and RC are doing but I think that having more mods would really help.  I can't imagine the load of work there is between two instead of having 5 or more like we used to.  But that's just my humble opinion.  ;)

Ash Wednesday

Even if there isn't a mod immediately available, a little common sense goes a long way regarding what we post. We make mistakes. Consider it all a lesson learned.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

I didn't want to sound too preachy there and I went on an editing binge, sorry. Remember to have your pets spayed or neutered.

Nihil Obstat

The fact that some threads cropped up that were a bit 'silly' does not bother me a huge amount. Certainly I am no saint in that respect. But what I think we should take away from this is a reminder that if someone does have a concern with what is being posted, we should be respectful of those concerns rather than just trying to shut them down. That is my perspective anyway. People should not be afraid to voice their concerns, even if we do not share them.

It must have been pretty bad if dUSt found it inappropriate.

Edited by Era Might

GeorgiiMichael

I just sneezed in the direction of the fan that is turned towards me and then my sneeze came back and hit me in the face.

Seemed worth a share, and this thread seemed right.

OnlySunshine

I just sneezed in the direction of the fan that is turned towards me and then my sneeze came back and hit me in the face.

Seemed worth a share, and this thread seemed right.

:hehe2:

LittleWaySoul

What I felt was ugly was less the sexual jokes- which whatever, not cool but not uncommon. But the exchanges between some of the posters was ugly, rude, and not very Christian. It was sad to see some of my favorite posters write what the did. But meh, we all have bad nights I guess.

This is EXACTLY how I felt about the whole thing. I didn't really care about the actual threads. Instead, it broke my heart to see some of the interactions ON the threads. You're right: ugly, rude, and most certainly not Christian. We must all pray for charity in such situations, I think.

Anyway, my two cents.

I knew if I lurked long enough I would find a post that required my response. Lucky you. :)

Based on my experience here over several years, having a larger moderating team does little to avert drama. It just adds additional layers to it.

No matter what you do, someone will think it's the wrong thing to do and be quick to tell you about it in less-than-flattering terms.

It seems there's a lot of snarky and rude commenting about this whole situation.  Might it not be wise and holier to simply let it go and move on?