Ice_nine Posted December 5, 2013 Posted December 5, 2013 We should have a book club. We can read fine works of literature and act all superior about it while offering and hotly debating hyper-intellectualized literary analyses over our soy lattes and whatnot. Any takers?
arfink Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 I might be willing to take part. Depends on the book though. ;)
AnneLine Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 Well... I dunno. But if you decide to do this thing.... you can count your tomes on the Advent to Candlemas Reading Challenge.... Maybe even find some bookees over there.... Depending on what you read, I might MIGHT join you, but I'm committed to the one I am on at present.
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 (edited) Reading helps keep the brain active. :) I think, perhaps, maybe, though i'm relatively certain it does, hopefully. :) By the way i have a question on reading and i'm not being a smart ass, ' Is there any scientific evidence that anyone has heard of about the impact of reading on the brain?" Edited December 6, 2013 by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 I would just be good if there was some evidence that reading is good for our mental health.
AnneLine Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 (edited) Tab, I know there is a lot of evidence that reading and learning in general can stop or slow the onset of Alzheimer's disease. I don't know about other kinds of problems. I do know that having some good basic structure in place is often good for people with mental health issues... and a time for reading and a time for prayer and a time for things like meals and good exercise would be good elements of that structure. :) :bible: :heart: :eat: :flex2: Edited December 6, 2013 by AnneLine
Ice_nine Posted December 6, 2013 Author Posted December 6, 2013 well it might help listing some books you want to read but haven't read/genres of interest to get an idea if we could all agree on someting. I started reading Moby Dick b/c how can you get your literary nerd card w/o in your arsenal? I also like science fiction and dystopian lit (classics like Frankenstein and 1984 to modern stuffs), but I'm really flexible so long as it's fiction. I've been reading too much textbook-type stuff in le school. Just trowin' it out there.
got2luvjc Posted December 7, 2013 Posted December 7, 2013 I'm a John Grisham reader, as well as nutrition/exercise. I've been known to read a classic from time to time
Anomaly Posted December 7, 2013 Posted December 7, 2013 well it might help listing some books you want to read but haven't read/genres of interest to get an idea if we could all agree on someting. I started reading Moby Dick b/c how can you get your literary nerd card w/o in your arsenal? I also like science fiction and dystopian lit (classics like Frankenstein and 1984 to modern stuffs), but I'm really flexible so long as it's fiction. I've been reading too much textbook-type stuff in le school. Just trowin' it out there. Asimov has great readable science fiction author with many novels and short stories that explore lots of societal concepts, particularly, what is required physically, mentally, emotionally, or philosophically to be considered to be a human or person. Enders Game is the new rage and explores similar ideas.
AnneLine Posted December 7, 2013 Posted December 7, 2013 Dracula is a really interesting read.... Some John Gresham is good... If anyone is interested in crime and/or mental health with an interesting philosophical base, Kill Me by Stephen White is fascinating. Was part of a series (The 'Alan Gregory' Novels) but it will stand alone, and it is a wonderful read..... I love almost anything by James Michener.... would love to read The Source with all of you.... about an archeological dig in Israel in just about 1963.... so 50 years ago. Well written, and very thought and spiritual insight provoking....
AnneLine Posted December 7, 2013 Posted December 7, 2013 (edited) Oh... and IceNine.... I'm not against Moby Dick... but since I was a World & Comparative Literature major as an undergrad (and actually, it was more like a cross between literature, philosophy and applied theology....) reading MD feels a lot like homework to me!!!! I never slugged my way through it... and there are probably other books we might enjoy more... but hey, I'll go with what everyone wants to do.... Anybody else want to list a few? It strikes me we might find something we all would like if we all just tossed in a few pitches.... For example, maybe H.G. Wells Time Machine? Haven't read it but C.S. Lewis keeps hinting that it influenced him in writing Out of the Silent Planet..... Edited December 7, 2013 by AnneLine
Deus te Amat Posted December 7, 2013 Posted December 7, 2013 I vote Chesterton. Good fiction, philosophical undertones, classical writing style. A little something for everyone.
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted December 12, 2013 Posted December 12, 2013 I only discuss philosophical literature over soy lattes with my colleagues at the shop where we buy the soy lattes.
AnneLine Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 Well... I'm allergic to soy... but maybe we can get dUSt a cappuccino machine for Christmas. We would ALLLL benefit!!!
Deus te Amat Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 C'mon, guys.... Chesterton has some really amazing literature.
AnneLine Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 I'm not against Chesterton... but not committed to him either. Can you suggest a particular book or series? I'd prefer something a little lighter rather than heavier to get is started.... is there any interest in... Father Brown??? http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Father-Brown-Stories/dp/1853260037
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 NO!! Start with Orthodoxy that way all of our heads explode! I took a Chesterton class last semester anf my brain was fried after every class.
AnneLine Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 I'll go with the flow on this... but probably will be more likely to be a better book club if our brains don't TOTALLY get blown... on the first book... and at least we'd have Fr. Brown ready to come sleuth out what happens to us if we disappear..... ;) :evil:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now