Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Basilisa Marie
Posted

Ugh, no Chesterton yet, that'd also be way too much like homework. :)

I agree it should be fiction, and it should be fun reading, and not too long. I prefer something modern, but I'm not against a classic, for sure. 

Here are some of my ideas:

Ender's Game (Card)
The Book Thief (Zusak)
The Hunger Games (Collins)
The Giver (Lowry)
Treasure Island (Stevenson)
Jane Eyre (Bronte)
Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)
Martian Chronicles (Bradbury)
The Outsiders (Hinton)
Holes (Sachar)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Lewis)
Bridge to Terabithia (Paterson)
Island of the Blue Dophins (O'Dell)

 

...I really like YA books.  :hehe2:

Posted

I'd like something just a little lighter, and I love YA literature!!!!!

 

I'd prefer it not be science fiction right now (I'm already reading some for another challenge, and want a change), but I'm open to just about anything else....

 

I'm partial to Madeleine L'Engle and would LOVE to revisit Wind in the Willows!!!!!

 

However, maybe the original thread starter has a preference, too, and we don't wanna hijack your thread!

 

 

 

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

Dracula is a really interesting read....

 

Some John Gresham is good...

 

 

If anyone is interested in crime and/or mental health with an interesting philosophical base, Kill Me by Stephen White is fascinating.  Was part of a series (The 'Alan Gregory' Novels) but it will stand alone, and it is a wonderful read.....

 

I love almost anything by James Michener.... would love to read The Source with all of you.... about an archeological dig in Israel in just about 1963.... so 50 years ago.   Well written, and very thought and spiritual insight provoking....

 

I would definitely re-read Dracula!

 

I'm not against Chesterton... but not committed to him either.  Can you suggest a particular book or series?  I'd prefer something a little lighter rather than heavier to get is started.... is there any interest in...

 

Father Brown???

 

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Father-Brown-Stories/dp/1853260037

 

I just bought this for my Kindle. Whether we read it for the book club or not, the summary sounded pretty good and it was only 99 cents! Thanks for posting it! :)

Posted

A Wrinkle in Time, we should  definitely read this!

Mary+Immaculate<3
Posted

The Dark is Rising sequence.

CatholicsAreKewl
Posted

Ooo Ooo how about House of Gold by Bud Macfarlane?

Posted

I'd like something just a little lighter, and I love YA literature!!!!!

 

I'd prefer it not be science fiction right now (I'm already reading some for another challenge, and want a change), but I'm open to just about anything else....

 

I'm partial to Madeleine L'Engle and would LOVE to revisit Wind in the Willows!!!!!

 

However, maybe the original thread starter has a preference, too, and we don't wanna hijack your thread!

 

Hijack away! I'm not good at running things.

 

Maybe we should have a poll or something? IDK there's too many choices at this point I think we need to consolidate a little bit. Would it work to start with a genre, and then pick a book that's been mentioned?

 

I vote for something YA, for funz. But I'll be open to anything.

Posted

How about we just get a list of YA and then we can vote?

 

 

Posted

How about you ask a YA to make a list for your YA book club? :think: I think that sounds like a good idea since YA usually know the best YA books...

Posted

How about you ask a YA to make a list for your YA book club? :think: I think that sounds like a good idea since YA usually know the best YA books...

 

anyone can make a list. Basilla made a list. Should we use that one and just go for it or should other people throw some in?

 

#badatthis

Posted

I was just saying a YA should make list cause I am a YA and if I made the list then I would put books that I like on the list. Sorry I was being selfish

Posted

I was just saying a YA should make list cause I am a YA and if I made the list then I would put books that I like on the list. Sorry I was being selfish

 

lol you weren't being selfish. I didn't mean anything by my post, I really don't care who makes the list. Whoever wants to take the reins feel free.

Posted

OK, I think we need to get moving on this, or we will still be dithering until 2015!!!

 

Hope you are ok, but here is what I think will work:

 

 

I've added the books people suggested, and tucked in a few more YA books I have loved at the bottom.

 

If anyone has any more to add, go ahead and include them in a reply post.   

 

On January 6th (Epiphany), I'll put the entire list together, and ask each of us to select the three (3) we would prefer to read first.   

 

If necessary, we'll have a 'second ballot' until we get to a clear winner.  If necessary, as thread-starter, I suggest IceNine should make the final choice for our first book.

 

At that point we'll have a list of books we want to read... maybe 1 a month or something?   and we can just get started!!!!

 

 

How does this sound to the rest of you?

 

 

Presuming this is ok, here is our list so far.....in no special order!  

 

(I don't know if ALL of these are YA books..... and maybe I missed a few... feel free to add or suggest a deletion)

 

 

 

Ender's Game (Card)

The Book Thief (Zusak)

The Hunger Games (Collins)

The Giver (Lowry)

Treasure Island (Stevenson)

Jane Eyre (Bronte)

Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury)

Martian Chronicles (Bradbury)

The Outsiders (Hinton)

Holes (Sachar)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Lewis)

Bridge to Terabithia (Paterson)

Island of the Blue Dophins (O'Dell)

House of Gold (Bud Macfarlane)

Dark is Rising sequence (Susan Cooper)

A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)

A Wind in the Door (Madeleine L'Engle)

A Ring of Endless Light (Madeleine L'Engle)

Beautiful Joe (Marshall Saunders)

King of the Wind (Marguerite Henry)

Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West (Marguerite Henry)

Banner in the Sky (James Ullman)

Posted

sounds legit anneline. Thx 4 ur assitance.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Add Harry Potter into that and I'm in.

Posted

I'd list a book or two from the HP series you want us to put on the list, FP.  Can't promise that it will make the vote, but I definitely can promise that it won't make the list if it isn't on there....

 

Anyone else wanna suggest a book or two...

Posted

I vote against Harry Potter. Been there done that.

Posted

Hmmmm.... Well.... why don't we see what all the potential readers put on the list, and what end up after people have selected their top three.  It might not even be an issue....

Posted

I'm just giving FP a hard time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...