An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Correct A Friend Who Is Doing Something Wrong At Mass?

Pliny

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Lil Red was refering to me when she said padre in short for my screen name (Padre Pio is my confirmation saint, some people use PPoP instead). I'm a seminarian but definitely NOT a priest :)

Did you see my post regarding GIRM 387 and 390? did they make sense to you? it's post #143 in this thread if you have overlooked it in the number of responses which seem to have quickly come.

Pliny, let me offer my unsolicited advice. I would say, knowing nothing about you except what has been presented in this thread, that it’s likely better for you to offer up this little annoyance than receive the self-satisfaction of informing your friend that they are “wrong.” I know it’s frustrating to think, “But I’m doing this out of obedience because I think being obedient is more meritorious than following my own preferences! And they get to kneel—which is what I want to do—even though my being more virtuously obedient says I can’t!” Sometimes, if we delve into self-knowledge and really search our souls, we realize we only want to correct others on these kinds of points because we don’t want them to think we’re somehow “less pious” than them because we choose to stand when they choose the “better” (but less “obedient”) posture of kneeling. I’m not trying to accuse you of this, because your intentions may well be the purest of the pure; I’m just going from my own experience and how I myself have reacted to situations such as these. Oh, how pride is so insidious! We think we are doing “right” when really, we are being prideful. But it’s likely more meritorious for you to be obedient and offer up the annoyance of others being “disobedient” around you.  The struggle of the life of virtue is so difficult sometimes, isn’t it?!

i apologize if I'm assuming that what seems to make sense to most every other person on this board would also make sense to you. i apologize for assuming that you're being stubborn and obtuse on purpose. i apologize for assuming that you'd know some of my history, I haven't been posting lately on phatmass. I will not apologize for assuming you're judging another person of pride and willful disobedience when they kneel at a certain part of Mass. 

Edited by Lil Red

i apologize for assuming that you'd know some of my history, I haven't been posting lately on phatmass. 

you're being prideful, Lil Red!! I'm judging your pridefulness!  :wedgie:

Ash Wednesday

Some people kneel because it truly nags their conscience to NOT kneel. When I was at a mass in Sweden, the people at this particular parish were standing during the consecration because many seats in the chapel did not have kneelers. A visiting Polish priest not familiar with the church said mass and was genuinely offended that people did not kneel at the consecration. Not everyone kneels out of pride or disobedience. It would be wise to understand their intentions and see where they are coming from.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Remove the plank from your own eye. And beat yourself with it until you're unconscious.

I already did that. then I had to apologize for getting blood all over the church's floor. 

Did you have to kneel down to wipe it up? If so, I hope it wasn't after the Agnus Dei -- or else the self-appointed liturgical police will come after you!!!

I already did that. then I had to apologize for getting blood all over the church's floor. 

Edited by reminiscere

KnightofChrist

Some people kneel because it truly nags their conscience to NOT kneel. When I was at a mass in Sweden, the people at this particular parish were standing during the consecration because many seats in the chapel did not have kneelers. A visiting Polish priest not familiar with the church said mass and was genuinely offended that people did not kneel at the consecration. Not everyone kneels out of pride or disobedience. It would be wise to understand their intentions and see where they are coming from.

I believe many kneel because at Mass all of Heaven is present, and we are in the presence of Christ our King, Lord and Savior. That's why I kneel. While at Mass the thought of Christ and Heaven being with us on Earth makes my knees kind of buckle, I feel, for the lack of better words, an obligation, a duty, an awesome indescribable urge to kneel before Christ and Heaven out of honor. Our old Bishop asked that we stand, but I was never able to do so, not out of dishonor for my dear Bishop but out of profound and indescribable honor for God, Christ the King of the Universe.

For Pliny's friend may well have the same or similar reasoning, in any event I would trust more than not that she kneels out of respect, rather than to be rebellious and disobedient.

i apologize if I'm assuming...

We can't know intent, but the appearance and result has been indecipherable from trolling, so it only makes sense to be suspicious.

Did you have to kneel down to wipe it up? If so, I hope it wasn't after the Agnus Dei -- or else the self-appointed liturgical police will come after you!!!

no, i was kind and considerate and bleed into my hands while standing until after receiving our Lord on the tongue (oops, should I admit that?) when I excused myself to the restroom. then after Mass, I cleaned the church floors. 

no, i was kind and considerate and bleed into my hands while standing until after receiving our Lord on the tongue (oops, should I admit that?) when I excused myself to the restroom. then after Mass, I cleaned the church floors. 

Well receiving our Lord in your hands at that point would have been a bloody mess.

Ba-dun CHHHH