An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

SATURDAY 15th April 2023  

EASTER SATURDAY

TOMORROW IS FEAST OF DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY                       

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230415/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230415/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230415/compline.htm

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

FOURTH LETTER

Writes of himself as of a third person, and encourages his correspondent to press on to fuller practising of the Presence of God.

I HAVE taken this opportunity to communicate to you the sentiments of one of our society concerning the admirable effects and continual assistances which he receives from the presence of GOD. Let you and me both profit by them.

You must know, his continual care has been, for above forty years past that he has spent in religion, to be always with GOD; and to do nothing, say nothing, and think nothing which may displease Him; and this without any other view than purely for the love of Him, and because He deserves infinitely more.

He is now so accustomed to that Divine presence, that he receives from it continual succours upon all occasions. For about thirty years, his soul has been filled with joys so continual, and sometimes so great, that he is forced to use means to moderate them, and to hinder their appearing outwardly.

If sometimes he is a little too much absent from that Divine presence, GOD presently makes Himself to be felt in his soul to recall him; which often happens when he is most engaged in his outward business: he answers with exact fidelity to these inward drawings, either by an elevation of his heart towards GOD, or by a meek and fond regard to Him, or by such words as love forms upon these occasions; as for instance, My GOD, here I am all devoted to Thee: LORD, make me according to Thy heart. And then it seems to him (as in effect he feels it) that this GOD of love, satisfied with such few words, reposes again, and rests in the depth and centre of his soul. The experience of these things gives him such an assurance that GOD is always in the depth or bottom of his soul, and renders him incapable of doubting it, upon any account whatever.

Judge by this what content and satisfaction he enjoys, while he continually finds in himself so great a treasure: he is no longer in an anxious search after it, but has it open before him, and may take what he pleases of it.

He complains much of our blindness; and cries often that we are to be pitied who content ourselves with so little. GOD, saith he, has infinite treasure to bestow, and we take up with a little sensible devotion which passes in a moment. Blind as we are, we hinder GOD, and stop the current of His graces. But when He finds a soul penetrated with a lively faith, He pours into it His graces and favours plentifully; there they flow like a torrent, which, after being forcibly stopped against its ordinary course, when it has found a passage, spreads itself with impetuosity and abundance.

Yes, we often stop this torrent, by the little value we set upon it. But let us stop it no more: let us enter into ourselves and break down the bank which hinders it. Let us make way for grace; let us redeem the lost time, for perhaps we have but little left; death follows us close, let us be well prepared for it; for we die but once, and a miscarriage there is irretrievable.

I say again, let us enter into ourselves. The time presses: there is no room for delay; our souls are at stake. I believe you have taken such effectual measures, that you will not be surprised. I commend you for it, it is the one thing necessary: we must, nevertheless, always work at it, because not to advance, in the spiritual life, is to go back. But those who have the gale of the HOLY SPIRIT go forward even in sleep. If the vessel of our soul is still tossed with winds and storms, let us awake the LORD, who reposes in it, and He will quickly calm the sea.

I have taken the liberty to impart to you these good sentiments, that you may compare them with your own: they will serve again to kindle and inflame them, if by misfortune (which GOD forbid, for it would be indeed a great misfortune) they should be, though never so little, cooled. Let us then both recall our first fervours. Let us profit by the example and the sentiments of this brother, who is little known of the world, but known of GOD, and extremely caressed by Him. I will pray for you; do you pray instantly for me, who am yours in our LORD.

in-the-depths-of-the-night-fear-grips-my

LITANY FOR THE FEARFUL HEARTED

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kajabi-storefronts-production/sites/64225/themes/2150187756/downloads/loKtK7QvRKuRtxrApv9H_Litany-Web-EN-Fearful.pdf

BarbTherese

SUNDAY 16TH APRIL 2003 

2ND SUNDAY EASTER

TODAY IS FEAST OF DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIoS9zy4Cz3QTW-wNkJIT

SPIRITUAL CONFESSION

“Do what the Catechism (of the Catholic Church) says. It is very clear: If you cannot find a priest to confess to, speak directly with God, your father, and tell him the truth. Say, ‘Lord, I did this, this, this. Forgive me,’ and ask for pardon with all your heart.” Make an act of contrition, the pope said, and promise God, “‘I will go to confession afterward, but forgive me now.’ And immediately you will return to a state of grace with God.”

SPIRITUAL COMMUNION

My Jesus, 
I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. 
I love You above all things, 
and I desire to receive You into my soul. 
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, 
come at least spiritually into my heart. 
I embrace You as if You were already there 
and unite myself wholly to You. 
Never permit me to be separated from You.

Amen.

Consecration to the Divine Mercy

Jesus, the Divine Mercy, I consecrate my entire life, from this day on, to You without reserve. Into Your hands, I abandon my past, my present, and my future. From this day forward, make me a true follower of Your teaching. Let Your Divine Mercy Image protect my home and my family from all the powers of evil in this world today. May all who venerate it never perish, may it be their joy in life, their hope in death, and their glory in eternity. Amen.

God, merciful Father, in your Son, Jesus Christ, You have revealed your love and poured it out upon us in the Holy Spirit, the Comforter. We entrust to You today the destiny of the world and of every man and woman. Bend down to us sinners, heal our weakness, conquer all evil, and grant that all the peoples of the earth may experience Your mercy. In You, the Triune God, may they ever find the source of hope. Eternal Father, by the Passion and Resurrection of Your Son, have mercy on us and upon the whole world!

Amen.

Prayer of Entrustment to Divine Mercy
O Lord, our God.
We place our trust in You, 
Because you are mercy itself.
We repent of our sins and turn to You for mercy.
We trust You to provide for our every need, according to Your will. 
Help us to forgive others as You forgive us. 
We promise to be merciful by our deeds, words and prayers.
Though we have fears because of human weakness, we rely on Your infinite goodness and mercy. 
We entrust to You the future of our planet, our Church, our nations, our families and all our needs.  
With loud cries we implore your mercy on us and on the whole world.
Look upon us, created in your image and likeness.
Form us in the Heart of Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit into the living images of mercy.
May all come to know the depth of Your mercy and sing the praises of Your mercy forever. 
Amen!

BarbTherese

SUNDAY 16TH April 2023  

TODAY IS FEAST OF DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY  - SEE PREVIOUS POST                     

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230416/lauds.htm                                                                                          

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230416/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230416/compline.htm

BarbTherese

our-lady-undoer-of-knots1.gif

Mary Untangler of Knots

With writing my life story, I have no confidence at all.  One day it is yes, next no.  I already have a fair bit on my plate with necessity to rest, exercises, walking and this thread.  Hence, not the time for a decision as yet.  I have no clarity of conviction and with that comes a spirit of annoyance

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Monday 17th April 2023  

SECOND WEEK EASTER            

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230417/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230417/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230417/compline.htm

Office Readings 17.4.23

Second Reading

From an ancient Easter homily by Pseudo-Chrysostom

The spiritual Passover

The Passover we celebrate brings salvation to the whole human race beginning with the first man, who together with all the others is saved and given life.

In an imperfect and transitory way, the types and images of the past prefigured the perfect and eternal reality which has now been revealed. The presence of what is represented makes the symbol obsolete: when the king appears in person no one pays reverence to his statue.

How far the symbol falls short of the reality is seen from the fact that the symbolic Passover celebrated the brief life of the firstborn of the Jews, whereas the real Passover celebrates the eternal life of all mankind. It is a small gain to escape death for a short time, only to die soon afterwards; it is a very different thing to escape death altogether as we do through the sacrifice of Christ, our Passover.

Correctly understood, its very name shows why this is our greatest feast. It is called the Passover because, when he was striking down the firstborn, the destroying angel passed over the houses of the Hebrews, but it is even more true to say that he passes over us, for he does so once and for all when we are raised up by Christ to eternal life.

If we think only of the true Passover and ask why it is that the time of the Passover and the salvation of the firstborn is taken to be the beginning of the year, the answer must surely be that the sacrifice of the true Passover is for us the beginning of eternal life. Because it revolves in cycles and never comes to an end, the year is a symbol of eternity.

Christ, the sacrifice that was offered up for us, is the father of the world to come. He puts an end to our former life, and through the regenerating waters of baptism in which we imitate his death and resurrection, he gives us the beginning of a new life. The knowledge that Christ is the Passover lamb who was sacrificed for us should make us regard the moment of his immolation as the beginning of our own lives. As far as we are concerned, Christ’s immolation on our behalf takes place when we become aware of this grace and understand the life conferred on us by this sacrifice. Having once understood it, we should enter upon this new life with all eagerness and never return to the old one, which is now at an end. As Scripture says: We have died to sin – how then can we continue to live in it?

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

FIFTH LETTER                               

Prayer for a sister who is about to make a vow and profession. * A fresh insisting upon the necessity and virtue of practising the Presence of God.

I RECEIVED this day two books and a letter from Sister, who is preparing to make her profession, and upon that account desires the prayers of your holy society, and yours in particular. I perceive that she reckons much upon them; pray do not disappoint her. Beg of GOD that she may make her sacrifice in the view of His love alone, and with a firm resolution to be wholly devoted to Him.

I will send you one of those books which treat of the presence of GOD; a subject which, in my opinion, contains the whole spiritual life; and it seems to me that whoever duly practises it will soon become spiritual.

I know that for the right practice of it, the heart must be empty of all other things; because GOD will possess the heart alone; and as He cannot possess it alone, without emptying it of all besides, so neither can He act there, and do in it what He pleases, unless it be left vacant to Him.

There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful, than that of a continual conversation with GOD: those only can comprehend it who practise and experience it; yet I do not advise you to do it from that motive; it is not pleasure which we ought to seek in this exercise; but let us do it from a principle of love, and because GOD would have us.

Were I a preacher, I should above all other things preach the practice of the presence of GOD; and were I a director, I should advise all the world to do it: so necessary do I think it, and so easy too.

Ah! knew we but the want we have of the grace and assistance of GOD, we should never lose sight of Him, no, not for a moment. Believe me; make immediately a holy and firm resolution never more wilfully to forget Him, and to spend the rest of your days in His sacred presence, deprived for the love of Him, if He thinks fit, of all consolations.

Set heartily about this work, and if you do it as you ought, be assured that you will soon find the effects of it. I will assist you with my prayers, poor as they are: I recommend myself earnestly to yours, and those of your holy society.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXc06E8ubuVlbqGsofwwq

LITANY OF PENANCE   https://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/english5/p03319.htm

BarbTherese

sealy-adjustable-bed-base-1024x576.jpg

My electric bed is definitely sold and $2500 is in the bank.  The man is picking up the bed in a week and is thinking about the electric recliner which is brand new and not even unpacked.

BarbTherese

Just found out my son has a use for the recliner, so I am giving it to him.  I owe him much more than I can repay.  But he wont take it unless the man that bought the bed will not buy it.  It is sitting on my brother's front veranda just now.

BarbTherese

61cc665e7dce6d4909efdb3b96dc5dfe--life-i

Kathleen-Lee-Cloister-w-StMichael_web.gi

Carmelite postulant tells her story

Sr Kathleen Lee is a postulant at the Carmel of Goonellabah, a suburb of Lismore in north-eastern New South Wales. The community is dedicated to prayer and is home to 14 nuns including one postulant, one temporary professed sister and one transfer sister.

Q. Your full name, age, where you were born and where you grew up?
A. Sara Kathleen Lee, 46, a fitness instructor. Born and grew up in Singapore, lived and worked in Sydney since 2009.

Q. When did you enter the convent?
A. I entered the Discalced Carmelites as a postulant on 17th June 2021.

Sr Kathleen Lee today

Q. Why have you chosen to explore life as a nun?
A. I never knew anything about nuns as I came from a Taoist and Buddhist background. Before I was baptised in 2000 I had a deep longing for God which I cannot explain.

Q. Why the Discalced Carmelites?
A. I was led to the Discalced Carmelites by the grace of God through the people placed in my journey.

Q. Who is your favourite Carmelite saint and why?
A. I can’t pick one yet with my infant knowledge. However, with very brief knowledge of both writings of St John of the Cross and St Teresa of Jesus – their works magnetised and deepened my spiritual hunger.

I had heard about St Teresa of Andes, St Therese of Lisieux, St Elizabeth of the Trinity and St Teresa Margaret Redi. I know I’ve named more than one saint and I can’t wait to learn from them all because I know they’ve got something I’ve been longing for.

BarbTherese

Tuesday 18th April 2023  

SECOND WEEK EASTER            

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230418/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer  https://universalis.com/20230418/vespers.htm                                                                                                                                                                      Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230418/compline.htm

our_lady_of_rosary.jpg

ALL MYSTERIES OF THE ROSARY

THE JOYFUL, LUMINOUS, SORROWFUL OR GLORIOUS MYSTERIES

https://www.marquette.edu/faith/prayers-mysteries.php

Office Readings 18.4.23

Second Reading

From a book addressed to Monimus by Saint Fulgentius of Ruspe, bishop

The sacrament of unity and love

The spiritual building up of the body of Christ is achieved through love. As Saint Peter says: Like living stones you are built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. And there can be no more effective way to pray for this spiritual growth than for the Church, itself Christ’s body, to make the offering of his body and blood in the sacramental form of bread and wine. For the cup we drink is a participation in the blood of Christ, and the bread we break is a participation in the body of Christ. Because there is one loaf, we who are many are one body, since we all share the same bread. And so we pray that, by the same grace which made the Church Christ’s body, all its members may remain firm in the unity of that body through the enduring bond of love.

We are right to pray that this may be brought about in us through the gift of the one Spirit of the Father and the Son. The holy Trinity, the one true God, is of its nature unity, equality and love, and by one divine activity sanctifies its adopted sons. That is why Scripture says that God’s love has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit he has given us. The Holy Spirit, who is the one Spirit of the Father and the Son, produces in those to whom he gives the grace of divine adoption the same effect as he produced among those whom the Acts of the Apostles describes as having received the Holy Spirit. We are told that the company of those who believed were of one heart and soul, because the one Spirit of the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is one God, had created a single heart and soul in all those who believed.

This is why Saint Paul in his exhortation to the Ephesians says that this spiritual unity in the bond of peace must be carefully preserved. I, therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, he writes, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, with all humility and meekness and with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit.

God makes the Church itself a sacrifice pleasing in his sight by preserving within it the love which his Holy Spirit has poured out. Thus the grace of that spiritual love is always available to us, enabling us continually to offer ourselves to God as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to him for ever.

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

SIXTH LETTER                               

To a member of the order who had received from him a book, and to whom he again enlarges on his favourite topic. * Encouragement to persevere.

I HAVE received from Mrs. - the things which you gave her for me. I wonder that you have not given me your thoughts of the little book I sent to you, and which you must have received. Pray set heartily about the practice of it in your old age; it is better late than never.

I cannot imagine how religious persons can live satisfied without the practice of the presence of GOD. For my part I keep myself retired with Him in the depth of centre of my soul as much as I can; and while I am so with Him I fear nothing; but the least turning from Him is insupportable.

This exercise does not much fatigue the body: it is, however, proper to deprive it sometimes, nay often, of many little pleasures which are innocent and lawful: for GOD will not permit that a soul which desires to be devoted entirely to Him should take other pleasures than with Him; that is more than reasonable.

I do not say that therefore we must put any violent constraint upon ourselves. No, we must serve GOD in a holy freedom, we must do our business faithfully, without trouble or disquiet; recalling our mind to GOD mildly and with tranquillity, as often as we find it wandering from Him.

It is, however, necessary to put our whole trust in GOD, laying aside all other cares, and even some particular forms of devotion, though very good in themselves, yet such as one often engages in unreasonably: because those devotions are only means to attain to the end; so when by this exercise of the presence of GOD we are with Him who is our end, it is then useless to return to the means; but we may continue with Him our commerce of love, persevering in His holy presence: one while by an act of praise, of adoration, or of desire; one while by an act of resignation, or thanksgiving; and in all the manner which our spirit can invent.

Be not discouraged by the repugnance which you may find in it from nature; you must do yourself violence. At the first, one often thinks it lost time; but you must go on, and resolve to persevere in it to death, notwithstanding all the difficulties that may occur. I recommend myself to the prayers of your holy society, and yours in particular. I am yours in our LORD.

LITANY FOR MARRIAGE AND FAMILIES

Almighty and Eternal Father, we come before you and bring our families to you for deliverance, healing, and conversion.

The response is Lord Jesus deliver us.

From feelings of anger, hatred, and contempt for spouses, we pray…

From an atmosphere of turmoil, distress, and anxiety within our families, we pray…

From silent treatments and cruel words in our families, we pray…

From excessive criticism of one another, we pray…

From negativity, belittling, and intimidation in our families, we pray…

From bitter dislike of extended family members, we pray…

From resentments, grudges, and hardness of heart, we pray…

From the sin of unforgiveness between family members, we pray…

From the habit of interpreting each other’s intentions in a negative light, we pray…

From the desire to dominate and control each other, we pray…

From a lack of warm and loving affirmation of one another, we pray…

From lonely cold marriages, we pray…

From every form of isolation between each other, we pray…

From excessive activity that steals away quality time together, we pray…

From all inherited disorders that afflict our families, we pray…

From every inherited curse on our families, we pray…

From alcoholism and drug abuse and all their effects, we pray…

From every form of emotional and physical abuse, we pray…

From every thought of suicide and abortion, we pray…

From every distortion of the gift of human sexuality, we pray…

From the scourge of pornography, we pray…

From the influence of bad movies, bad music, and bad fashions, we pray…

From the influence of atheism, secularism, and moral relativism, we pray…

From every sense of meaninglessness and despair, we pray…

From fear and despair for the future of our marriages, we pray…

From fear and despair for the future of our children, we pray…

From fear and despair for the future of our country, we pray…

From the loss of faith in Christ and the Church, we pray…

From the loss of hope in the healing mercy of God, we pray…

From the loss of love for God and one another, we pray…

The response now is Lord hear our prayer.

For the Holy Spirit of Love to come down upon our families, we pray…

For an increase of trust and love in our marriages and families, we pray…

For an increase of mutual respect in our marriages and families, we pray…

For an increase of tenderness and compassion in our marriages & families, we pray…

For an increase of quality time together, we pray…

For an increase of intimate communication with each other, we pray…

For an increase of words of love and affirmation, we pray…

For an increase of confidence in our families and our future together, we pray…

For an increase of the sense that the Lord will get us through anything, we pray…

For an increase of humility before God and one another, we pray…

For an increase in making apologies and asking forgiveness of one another, we pray…

For forgiveness and reconciliation between all spouses and family members, we pray…

For extraordinary graces to save all marriages in trouble, we pray…

For extraordinary graces of healing for all abandoned spouses, we pray…

For extraordinary graces of comfort for widows and widowers, we pray…

For extraordinary graces of support for single mothers and fathers, we pray…

For extraordinary graces of love for all single men and women,

For the healing of family members battling illness and hurt, we pray…

For the hearts of fathers to be turned toward their wives and children, we pray…

For the hearts of mothers to be turned to their husbands and children, we pray…

For the hearts of children to know deeply the love their family has for them, we pray…

For the hearts of teenagers to grow in the awareness of their own worth, we pray…

For the hearts of college students to be healed and converted to Christ and his Church, we pray…

For the return of fallen away Catholic family members, we pray…

For an increase of chastity and purity in all the members of our society, we pray…

For an increase of faith in Christ and his Church, we pray…

For an increase of hope in the healing mercy of God, we pray…

For an increase of love for God and one another, we pray…

For an increase in the practice of the sacrament of penance, we pray…

For an increase in the practice of family prayer, especially the Rosary, we pray…

For all deceased spouses, we pray…

For all deceased children, we pray…

For grace upon grace to come down upon all marriages and families, we pray…

Almighty and Eternal Father, we thank you for hearing our prayers. We offer all of these petitions to you, in hopes of the complete deliverance and healing of our marriages and families, in the holy and saving name of Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.

BarbTherese

I am most often liking what Father Mike has to say and this video settles the question of an autobiography (what a beautiful crucifix!)

........i.e...no autobiography..................

GENDER IDENTITY AND THE CHURCH

BarbTherese

51T3bK7PKvS._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

FR MIKE - BIBLE IN A YEAR

EPISODE 1

He (Fr Mike) is perhaps best known for hosting The Bible in a Year podcast. The podcast jumped to the top of Apple Podcasts charts within hours of publishing its first episode on Jan. 1, 2021, surpassing secular podcasts produced by organizations including The New York Times and National Public Radio. In 2021, it hit 142 million downloads, and 3.3 billion minutes of listening worldwide.  https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/250167/seven-things-to-know-about-march-for-life-speaker-father-mike-schmitz

I can't post the podcasts for some reason or other.  Simply Google "Fr. Mike Schmitz - Bible in a Year - Episode 1" or 2 or whatever.   In fact, at the end of each podcast, is a link to the next......just found that out after watching Episode 1.

BarbTherese

Psalm 22

Plea for Deliverance from Suffering and Hostility

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
    and by night, but find no rest.

3 Yet you are holy,
    enthroned on the praises of Israel.
4 In you our ancestors trusted;
    they trusted, and you delivered them.
5 To you they cried, and were saved;
    in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.

6 But I am a worm, and not human;
    scorned by others, and despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock at me;
    they make mouths at me, they shake their heads;
8 “Commit your cause to the Lord; let him deliver—
    let him rescue the one in whom he delights!”

9 Yet it was you who took me from the womb;
    you kept me safe on my mother’s breast.
10 On you I was cast from my birth,
    and since my mother bore me you have been my God.
11 Do not be far from me,
    for trouble is near
    and there is no one to help.

12 Many bulls encircle me,
    strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
13 they open wide their mouths at me,
    like a ravening and roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water,
    and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
    it is melted within my breast;
15 my mouth[a] is dried up like a potsherd,
    and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
    you lay me in the dust of death.

16 For dogs are all around me;
    a company of evildoers encircles me.
My hands and feet have shriveled;
17 I can count all my bones.
They stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my clothes among themselves,
    and for my clothing they cast lots.

19 But you, O Lord, do not be far away!
    O my help, come quickly to my aid!
20 Deliver my soul from the sword,
    my life[c] from the power of the dog!
21     Save me from the mouth of the lion!

From the horns of the wild oxen you have rescued[d] me.
22 I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters;[e]
    in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:
23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
    All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him;
    stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!
24 For he did not despise or abhor
    the affliction of the afflicted;
he did not hide his face from me,[f]
    but heard when I[g] cried to him.

25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
    my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
26 The poor[h] shall eat and be satisfied;
    those who seek him shall praise the Lord.
    May your hearts live forever!

27 All the ends of the earth shall remember
    and turn to the Lord;
and all the families of the nations
    shall worship before him.
28 For dominion belongs to the Lord,
    and he rules over the nations.

29 To him,[j] indeed, shall all who sleep in[k] the earth bow down;
    before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,
    and I shall live for him.[l]
30 Posterity will serve him;
    future generations will be told about the Lord,
31 and[m] proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn,
    saying that he has done it.

BarbTherese

s-l500.jpg

I was really moved, (touched to my core in that way things but rarely do, for me anyway) by Father Mike's talk re the crucifix (and his autobiography) here: https://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/132845-private-vows-in-the-laityspirituality/?do=findComment&comment=2842441.

I have a signed copy here by Fr. D OMI (decd) with two witnesses, when I had my Home Mass for life private vows renewal.  Fr D. had been my confessor and spiritual director for all too short a period of around a year.  I can't recall exactly how long.  He died very suddenly while on holidays.

Above my L shaped desk in BUPA here, there is a small very strong downlight, under which I plan to put the crucifix (as above) with my signed certificate as well as the blessing statement for Bethany and my previous residence.  Bethany is now a one roomed accommodation in a BUPA Aged Care Home here in Adelaide.  Bethany is always wherever I am.   The downlight will shine precisely on the crucifix and my Home Mass certificate - and Jesus' bent head from The Cross will be looking down directly at me at my desk.  All in all, it only cost me $50 or so.   It will be delivered by early May.  The eBay site, did state I was buying the last one at $17.99............now they are selling at $19.99 and worth it, well worth it, at that price.  I did surf the net looking for a crucifix for stated above purpose without success, until I laid eyes on the one posted above.

I am going to have my room here blest in due course.

I can't have an overly graphic depiction of the crucifixion (and closer to the truth of Roman crucifixion), or I am grieved to the core and cannot get over it easily.  After watching Fr Mike's video, I now understand in a fuller capacity why I am so deeply grieved.  "My Lord, what have I done!".  See Fr. Mike's video HERE   The shape of the cross itself is in the shape of what I call the Papal Cross, reminding me to pray for The Church and mankind.

Thank you, Fr Mike.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47sadjlgfincdjqpmvw6

At the outset of this thread, I thought it would be just about my Home Mass, somehow it has developed into what it has.  Blame "Somehow!"  I wrote a poem (about my urge to write) once, a line ran:

"Merely a creative urge none can still and passion would have its fill, as passion often will".

We are advised by our very best almost, not to talk about oneself (let alone giving in to passions).  I can't stop it !!!  Mea maxima culpa!  I am almost afraid to be without this thread now, but I will stop if I think I really must.  :sleep2:

There is a glaring contradiction in this whole Post. :wacko:

I almost can hear Mum: "Barbara, you will get yourself into trouble one day"

Me "I don't care"

Mum "Don't care was made to care, put in jail and hung"

"Mum!......

.......I don't care"

Some writers write about how they were bad and grew up to be good.  I grew upside down!  Howzat for a downunderer.  The part of this Post about the crucifix is what I call 'my spiritual petticoat'.

BarbTherese

cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.750.422.jpeg

thomas-merton-962009.jpg

quote-this-act-of-total-surrender-is-not

Rome advises us to be cautious when reading Thomas Merton.  Try not to throw out the baby with the bathwater, however.