An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

franciscanheart

It's good to have someone around they know they're gonna call!

image.gif

Anyway, couldn't resist in what is otherwise a good, meaningful thread. And yes, they are very fortunate to know you! Carry on. 

I was thinking the same thing to that statement.

So is this a coming out thread?  I'm Asexual… for reals... and praise be to God that I'm called to Religious life since the vow of Chastity would be a sinch!  But imagine if I didn't have that vocation and experienced physical attraction, but no sexual attraction, yet still drawn to the romantic part of relationships?  Would sound pretty difficult to me!  There are other Aces (Asexuals) like me out there (who don't have a vocation to religious life) and most are atheist or agnostics.  Hard indeed!

PhuturePriest

There's a very renowned Catholic speaker who is gay who says he struggles with the idea that people are born gay. Not because it's impossible or somehow theologically problematic, but because he says we don't really know anything we're born with. "Can you remember a time when you couldn't speak? No, but that's because your mind alters reality according to your experiences." I can't remember a time where I didn't have a stammer, but we know for a fact no person is born with one.

And I'm not saying any of that to be controversial or hurtful, but just because I heard it today and it was relevant to Freedom's question.

Ok Phetus, you took that question a little too literally.  I meant to ask FH, if she felt these same sex attractions as a child growing up?

PhuturePriest

Ok Phetus, you took that question a little too literally.  I meant to ask FH, if she felt these same sex attractions as a child growing up?

And I was relaying the opinion of a reliable source on the subject as a whole. No harm done.

Edited by The Phetus

franciscanheart

Yes

franciscanheart

There's a very renowned Catholic speaker who is gay who says he struggles with the idea that people are born gay. Not because it's impossible or somehow theologically problematic, but because he says we don't really know anything we're born with. "Can you remember a time when you couldn't speak? No, but that's because your mind alters reality according to your experiences." I can't remember a time where I didn't have a stammer, but we know for a fact no person is born with one.

And I'm not saying any of that to be controversial or hurtful, but just because I heard it today and it was relevant to Freedom's question.

It's also an opinion.

PhuturePriest

It's also an opinion.

One that makes sense. But again, it's possible that people are born gay. There's just no solid proof of it as of yet.

franciscanheart

One that makes sense. But again, it's possible that people are born gay. There's just no solid proof of it as of yet.

It makes sense to you. It's also your opinion.

And just for the record, being gay doesn't make you a "reliable source" on all things gay. (Good luck in college!)  :like:

PhuturePriest

It makes sense to you. It's also your opinion.

And just for the record, being gay doesn't make you a "reliable source" on all things gay. (Good luck in college!)  :like:

No, but he has studied the science of it and is a renowned speaker. Show me scientific proof, and I'll believe you. As of yet, there is nothing. But again, it really doesn't matter. It's not like it's theologically problematic if people are born gay or not, so why the hostility?