An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

franciscanheart

IcePrincessKRS

As per usual, it is all Freedom's fault.

Sometimes it's wise to bite your tongue and see how conversations play out. I don't often find it useful to tell gay people how they likely did or did not (for lack of a better term) develop their gayness. I doubt Franny would have responded with "Oh, I was definitely born gay." She's always quite bluntly honest and probably would have responded with phrasing similar to how the question was rephrased "I began experiencing these attractions as a  child" or some such thing.

Then again, maybe I just know Franny well enough to know how she's likely to respond and I have unrealistic expectations of how other people should conduct conversations.

PhuturePriest

Sometimes it's wise to bite your tongue and see how conversations play out. I don't often find it useful to tell gay people how they likely did or did not (for lack of a better term) develop their gayness. I doubt Franny would have responded with "Oh, I was definitely born gay." She's always quite bluntly honest and probably would have responded with phrasing similar to how the question was rephrased "I began experiencing these attractions as a  child" or some such thing.

Then again, maybe I just know Franny well enough to know how she's likely to respond and I have unrealistic expectations of how other people should conduct conversations.

I didn't say she did or didn't, I was just reminded of what one person said about it and wanted to interject it into the conversation. I wasn't answering for Frannie.

IcePrincessKRS

I didn't say she did or didn't, I was just reminded of what one person said about it and wanted to interject it into the conversation. I wasn't answering for Frannie.

No, you didn't explicitly say that and I didn't mean to indicate that you had. It just kind of comes across that way when person A asks person B a question and person C says "person V thinks it's not likely."  What person V thinks isn't really relevant to person B's personal experiences. I don't particularly buy the "born this way" thing hook, line, and sinker, but frankly I can't know for fact that it's never happened and in my experience, in most cases, it's rather a fruitless line of discussion because whether or not they were born that way they are still gay. How it came to be changes nothing. I'm more interested in helping Franny (and others) to live as genuinely and purely as they can, to be as holy as they can, and support them when they need it.

Vincent Vega

No, but he has studied the science of it and is a renowned speaker. Show me scientific proof, and I'll believe you. As of yet, there is nothing. But again, it really doesn't matter. It's not like it's theologically problematic if people are born gay or not, so why the hostility?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html#.U_4s_rxdUWE

Of course, they probably wouldn't have been so hasty to publish their findings if they had known that a renowned RC apologist speaker would dissent.

PhuturePriest

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html#.U_4s_rxdUWE

Of course, they probably wouldn't have been so hasty to publish their findings if they had known that a renowned RC apologist speaker would dissent.

Yes, this seems incredibly compelling, except the study itself admits it might happen in the womb or in early infancy. They're not certain.

But again, it doesn't really matter, as I have said since my very first post.

Well, defining attraction is difficult. Even if a child is unable to express certain sexual desires, their genetic code is still there. Maybe it requires puberty to surface? Although some gay people say they have known that aspect about themselves since they were old enough to think. 

But it is genetic; everything* is genetic. Therefore you are born with it.

*ok maybe not everything ...like breaking your leg isnt genetic. Or other sorts of things that happen later.

PhuturePriest

I still really, really don't think this line of speculation is helpful or beneficial.

[mod]Inappropriate content. - dUSt[/mod]

Edited by dUSt

franciscanheart

Lil Red liked my post, so suck it. :P

Lil Red is also not the final word on this very personal and touchy subject. If you want to throw around big boy ideas about big boy topics, have the decency to respect them like a big boy.

More later; I'm leaving the office.

Lil Red liked my post, so suck it. :P

I'm sure it was a mistake. Because I have not really agreed with anything you've said in this thread. (P.S. I'm still only surfing pm through my phone and it is difficult at best.)