An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

franciscanheart

No, you didn't explicitly say that and I didn't mean to indicate that you had. It just kind of comes across that way when person A asks person B a question and person C says "person V thinks it's not likely." What person V thinks isn't really relevant to person B's personal experiences. I don't particularly buy the "born this way" thing hook, line, and sinker, but frankly I can't know for fact that it's never happened and in my experience, in most cases, it's rather a fruitless line of discussion because whether or not they were born that way they are still gay. How it came to be changes nothing. I'm more interested in helping Franny (and others) to live as genuinely and purely as they can, to be as holy as they can, and support them when they need it.

I agree.

Lil Red liked my post, so suck it. :P

Btw, this habit of yours of bringing me into conversations (that I'm not really participating in) is getting kind of old and really rude, not only to me but it's also disrespectful to the people who are actually in the convo.

I still really, really don't think this line of speculation is helpful or beneficial.

Science is hardly speculation. 

PhuturePriest

Thanks Vincent, I couldn't find it for the life of me. ;) I've amended my prop because I don't agree with that post. (I honestly don't even remember reading that post!)

:irish:

Edited by The Phetus

PhuturePriest

I don't think anyone really understands that we're literally arguing over nothing. I interjected an opinion by someone else I had heard speak that day. This is an open phorum and I'm free to do so, especially considering it was never said before then that this is apparently the most offensive thing you can do.

This is an internet forum. As the great and powerful Dust said, posts shouldn't affect you.

Have a good day

If it makes you feel better I never thought you were a drunk. I am wondering though if you're Irish.

internet people have no feelings.

IcePrincessKRS

Science is hardly speculation. 

As far as I'm aware science hasn't definitively proven how homosexuality occurs. Science has shown that there are certain characteristics in the brain that are different, but, frankly, that doesn't do much in the way of ministering to, loving, and supporting gay people. Science is cold. Our brothers and sisters need human beings that care. Not just trippy words, but actual personal relationships--friendships, I'm not talking about lovers--that they can lean on when needed.

This might shock you, I know how much you love science, but it's not comforting to know that you might be a certain way because of what boils down to a defect. "You don't have the brain of a man, you have the brain of a woman." Frankly, it's cruel to keep bringing it up over and over. I can never personally know what it's like to battle with myself, to want to be normal, and finally admit and try to accept that I'm just different in the way that folks like Franny and her friend's daughter have struggled. Two, three pages ago Franny said "my friend's daughter is scared." "Science says..." isn't helpful. It isn't loving. It isn't kind. It isn't supportive. It reduces the person to this one little thing about them, picks them apart, and at the end of the day this particular bit of science still doesn't give the whole answer. It ends in speculation.

So, yes, I prefer to ignore the all-glorious science aspect and turn to my friends and family and show them that I love them. The cause doesn't matter as much as how you treat the individual.

As far as I'm aware science hasn't definitively proven how homosexuality occurs. Science has shown that there are certain characteristics in the brain that are different, but, frankly, that doesn't do much in the way of ministering to, loving, and supporting gay people. Science is cold. Our brothers and sisters need human beings that care. Not just trippy words, but actual personal relationships--friendships, I'm not talking about lovers--that they can lean on when needed.

This might shock you, I know how much you love science, but it's not comforting to know that you might be a certain way because of what boils down to a defect. "You don't have the brain of a man, you have the brain of a woman." Frankly, it's cruel to keep bringing it up over and over. I can never personally know what it's like to battle with myself, to want to be normal, and finally admit and try to accept that I'm just different in the way that folks like Franny and her friend's daughter have struggled. Two, three pages ago Franny said "my friend's daughter is scared." "Science says..." isn't helpful. It isn't loving. It isn't kind. It isn't supportive. It reduces the person to this one little thing about them, picks them apart, and at the end of the day this particular bit of science still doesn't give the whole answer. It ends in speculation.

So, yes, I prefer to ignore the all-glorious science aspect and turn to my friends and family and show them that I love them. The cause doesn't matter as much as how you treat the individual.

Correct. Science has not identified a single gene responsible for all of this...it is likely never going to because not all traits are a result of one switch or some black and white scale. But what we do know, is that it is genetic in some way. Thats how these things work; thats how everything works.

I dont know what science you read about, but these studies has nothing to do with moral judgment or any other sort of opinion extrapolation. Who is saying that any of this is a defect? Those are your words. In fact, science doesnt say that anything about the morality or right or wrong of  homosexuality, thats the church. 

So if you love your friends so much then dont tell them that they have defects...dont force them to live a life of suffering. Its not science doing this, its your faith.