An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

franciscanheart

KnightofChrist

ah, of course, I'm just being emotional... probably shouldn't have brought up my personal relation to the topic lol, now I'm just clouded by my emotions I guess, rather than just trying to explain how a post was interpreted the way it was because it could clearly easily be interpreted that way.  I also clearly said I thought his intentions were fine, just that it could easily be interpreted the way it was.

Just to be clear, I didn't mind your bringing your own story up, or your emotions around that story. My objection is projection, how some "feel" (projection) arfink said something he actually did not say, and making up quotes to paint that projection on to him, as something he basically said.

[...]
I know he said he didn't intend to be dismissive, but just saying that doesn't make your question not dismissive. [...]

If it was truly dismissive that would require the intent to do so, and just because something is misinterpreted as dismissive doesn't make it dismissive.

the dismissiveness of a question does not depend on the intention of the questioner.  you can certainly be unintentionally dismissive.

so we're on the third page still refusing to talk about the "issues of the day" that FH said she wanted to talk about in the OP. 

No, the OP did not want to talk about the "issues of the day" when she made the "OP."  She asked for questions.  Then she called the first questioner an idiot and asked him to shut up.  Then when I asked her why she did that, she threatened me with some sort of super-scary rant. 

And now you are excusing what is obviously very poor behavior in your usual fluid manner, "I guess he wasn't dismissive, but really he was and she shouldn't have responded that way, except it's obvious why she did and I would have done the same thing."

the dismissiveness of a question does not depend on the intention of the questioner.  you can certainly be unintentionally dismissive.

The fact that Arfink asked a very specific question along with an explanation for why he asked that question makes is post, almost by definition, on point and in no way dismissive. 

PhuturePriest

I am gay.

I did not just admit to lesbian sex.
I did not just admit to a "homosexual lifestyle".
I did not just admit to supporting any agenda held by all homosexual persons.

(Is that really even a thing? I digress.)

What you know is what I've told you: that I have an inclination toward women in a romantic sense. You know nothing more. It is ignorant to assume you do. What you don't know CAN hurt you; choose to stick to facts. Choose to see humanity in light of divinity. Choose love.

Do you have questions? I'll answer them as honestly and frankly as I can.

I've come out once on phatmass before -- though I'm told I came out then as bi -- but I'm in a different place now (comfort wise) and I'd like to start talking about the big stuff, the stuff that really matters in our culture today. The stuff that's making headlines and dividing sanctuaries.

Give me your best shot.

Okay, people. Stop being complete asshats. She wanted to be open about something about herself and talk about it with us. Why does that need to be justified?

I have two questions, one for frannie and one for the rest of you. First: Was anyone shocked that there was a coming out thread and I wasn't the one coming out?

Jokes aside, Frannie, first of all, I love you :love: and I couldn't care less if you can appreciate how hot I am or not. Can you tell me when and how you came to the point you realized you were gay and how you dealt with it?

Edited by FuturePriest387

original post said " I'd like to start talking about the big stuff, the stuff that really matters in our culture today. The stuff that's making headlines and dividing sanctuaries."

I edited and warned FH for her response as a personal attack before I even posted in this thread.  That doesn't mean I can't understand why she was upset by the question.  in my first post I said that I recognize it wasn't the spirit Arfink's post was intended in, " maybe that's not the spirit it was intended in, but it strikes me that way and I can understand why Franciscan responded to it the way she did".  I consistently said he didn't intend it to be, but the question was dismissive.  the part that said "why does this topic keep coming up" was dismissive.  it was obviously interpreted that way and it's understandable why it was.  I'm sorry if you think I'm being fluid.

in my first post I said that I recognize it wasn't the spirit Arfink's post was intended in, " maybe that's not the spirit it was intended in, but it strikes me that way and I can understand why Franciscan responded to it the way she did".  I consistently said he didn't intend it to be, but the question was dismissive.  the part that said "why does this topic keep coming up" was dismissive.  it was obviously interpreted that way and it's understandable why it was.  I'm sorry if you think I'm being fluid.

Aloysius, is english your native language? 

Edit:  Totally serious question, btw.

Edited by NotreDame

yes, it is lol.  I meet your totally serious question with a lot of laughter, other people on this thread have no trouble following what I just said.

PhuturePriest

Aloysius, is english your native language? 

Edit:  Totally serious question, btw.

Please stop posting unless you're going to participate in the thread with legitimate questions to franciscan.

Okay, people. Stop being complete asshats. She wanted to be open about something about herself and talk about it with us. Why does that need to be justified?

I have two questions, one for frannie and one for the rest of you. First: Was anyone shocked that there was a coming out thread and I wasn't the one coming out?

Jokes aside, Frannie, first of all, I love you :love: and I couldn't care less if you can appreciate how hot I am or not. Can you tell me when and how you came to the point you realized you were gay and how you dealt with it?

Seriousy?  Namecalling.  So inappropriate.

People are curious about their own things.  Arfink was curious WHY.  Is that such a problem.  It's not justification.  With the number of people "coming out" in the media, I really do want to know why...and I think others do too.  If it's to celebrate a personal agenda, to get support...we're not mind readers.

And you've reiterated time after time you like women.  So I think people would not even take a tread about you coming out seriously, because overall, the only thing I think I and others have learned is that you like to announce things for spectacle.

KnightofChrist

yes, it is lol.  I meet your totally serious question with a lot of laughter, other people on this thread have no trouble following what I just said.

That sounds a little dismissive, :) good thing Arfink didn't respond with a lot of laughter to those he thought had trouble following him. I have no trouble following you though, Arfink was and was not being dismissive, because he didn't intend to nor was it the spirit of what he said, but he was because you and others felt that he was being dismissive. Edited by KnightofChrist

I'm sure there are other people don't have trouble following your intent, likewise I know there are others that agree with my criticism as well.  In your usual manner, you've managed a post where you've described arfinks post in almost every way possible, so you have an out regardless of how people respond. 

Stop being so wishy washy and say concretely what you mean.

lol yes I was being dismissive of someone questioning whether I was a native English speaker.  unlike Arfink, I intended to be dismissive.  and to laugh.  man, even the high school senior can understand me here.  Arfink's question struck me as a dismissive question; of course he didn't intend to be dismissive (which I said numerous times), but it was understandably interpreted that way based on "why does this topic keep coming up"... same way Lillabet found "do you really have love in your hearts for gays" to be insinuating that she doesn't.  Your inability to grasp this is quite astonishing.  I suspect you are purposefully choosing to be obtuse to obfuscate a very simple matter.

In short: I didn't like arfink's question, it understandably seemed dismissive even though he probably didn't intend it that way.  if it understandably seemed dismissive, of course I will refer to it as a dismissive question.  I have not said ANYTHING AT ALL that is contradictory.  Not a single thing I said contradicts anything else I said.  It is not wishy washy.  It's not describing it in every way possible.  I never said it was not dismissive.  I said it wasn't intended as dismissive.  How is this not getting through?  Is this open mic on?  hello?  hello?

Anyway, we've all successfully ruined Franny's thread up through the fourth page too lol.

again, OP wanted this thread to "start talking about the big stuff, the stuff that really matters in our culture today. The stuff that's making headlines and dividing sanctuaries."  anyone else for an opinion on Arizona, or have any other legit questions?

TBh I am having a bit of a problem with the whole thread.

DC, I am not being dismissive, but I don't really see what the heck it has to do with any of us if you feel attracted to men women or the gatepost!

This is a social forum, I take people at face value since that's all I can do and I try not to make assumptions (even if I do end up doing so occasionally).

If people want to share stuff thats fine but I do wonder if you thought some of us would have an issue with this.

If so, and again no disrespect to you, but posting like that on an open forum kind of lays you open......not to attack, but to the baggage anyone else is carrying around the topic you've stated.

What questions do I have, well, none I would ask you on an open forum.

Would I pm you, no probably not, for the reason stated. You are who you are in my eyes and that's absolutely fine.

Does this mean I don't care if you have had difficulties or problems on this forum or elsewhere? No, most certainly not. You are entitled to be who you are without having to be subject to any kind of uncharitable stuff, from me or from whoever.

If there has been a lack of charity and understanding then I am sorry you have had to cope with it.

I'm okay with whoever you define yourself to be and you don't need to justify that or satisfy any curiosity I might have.