An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

franciscanheart

I suspect you are purposefully choosing to be obtuse to obfuscate a very simple matter.

Anyway, we've all successfully ruined Franny's thread up through the fourth page too lol.

No, I'm not obfuscating in any way.  I'm speaking in very clear, succinct sentences, not long, rambling, wishy-washy caveated sentences like you are.

If the thread is ruined, Franny ruined it herself by asking for questions and then calling the first questioner an idiot. 

Since this is somthing FH specifically mention, how about we shift the discussion to this instead of arguing intentions.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/index.html

(CNN) -- Arizona's Legislature has passed a controversial bill that would allow business owners, as long as they assert their religious beliefs, to deny service to gay and lesbian customers.

Please stop posting unless you're going to participate in the thread with legitimate questions to franciscan.

Since this is somthing FH specifically mention, how about we shift the discussion to this instead of arguing intentions.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/index.html

Wait, I'm confused... am I supposed to be asking legitimate question to FH?  Or am I supposed to be discussing the AZ law?

Wait, I'm confused... am I supposed to be asking legitimate question to FH?  Or am I supposed to be discussing the AZ law?

I have no idea. Right now all people are doing is bickering intention for who said what and what it meant.

Besides, the AZ law is big news.

IcePrincessKRS

I guess I am also curious about the need to "come out".  Because it seems these days with sports stars and movie stars it's just something popular to do.

I'm going to hazard a guess here. Given the other things I've seen Franny post here over the years I think she basically wanted to be honest with who she is and her worldview as a gay Catholic woman. I recall a thread she posted awhile back about being authentic. From what I've seen from the few gay people that I know not everyone comes to grips with it at the same time. There is no magical age where it clicks. Sure, she mentioned it before, and apparently it didn't impact anyone else here very much. But it's clearly impacting HER to admit to herself and others that she has these attractions and they're not going away, they're not minor, and if she wishes to remain a faithful Catholic she has a lot of sacrifices to make. That's HARD. I don't really feel like she should be expected to shoulder that in silence. I don't know what she was hoping for when she started this thread, but I do think it was a way of reaching out.

I'm not looking to argue, there are way too many combative posts in this thread already. I'm just trying to give some sort of answer to your question. I don't think it's a simple answer because it's so deeply entwined in emotions.

I really dont think the Catholic church is equipped to handle their gay members as of yet. Their methods as of right now are resist, resist, resist. I think it leads a lot of gay members to feel a little lost without resources to help them wade in the waters of reconciling the love of the faith with their orientation.

I'm going to hazard a guess here. Given the other things I've seen Franny post here over the years I think she basically wanted to be honest with who she is and her worldview as a gay Catholic woman. I recall a thread she posted awhile back about being authentic. From what I've seen from the few gay people that I know not everyone comes to grips with it at the same time. There is no magical age where it clicks. Sure, she mentioned it before, and apparently it didn't impact anyone else here very much. But it's clearly impacting HER to admit to herself and others that she has these attractions and they're not going away, they're not minor, and if she wishes to remain a faithful Catholic she has a lot of sacrifices to make. That's HARD. I don't really feel like she should be expected to shoulder that in silence. I don't know what she was hoping for when she started this thread, but I do think it was a way of reaching out.

I'm not looking to argue, there are way too many combative posts in this thread already. I'm just trying to give some sort of answer to your question. I don't think it's a simple answer because it's so deeply entwined in emotions.

adding onto Icey's awesome post:

and why shouldn't franny be able to come to phatmass with these struggles when this place has been a big part of her spiritual life over the years? we've all had struggles that we've shared with phatmass, about trying to live out our lives as faithful Catholics in the midst of huge crosses. franny should be able to do the same. and, honestly, it's no wonder that she lashed out. she's emotionally wounded, fragile, and someone she doesn't get along with poked her with (what seemed to be) a dismissive stick. 

just my two cents. 

Edited by Lil Red

I really dont think the Catholic church is equipped to handle their gay members as of yet. Their methods as of right now are resist, resist, resist

resist what?

Edited by Lilllabettt

wait hold on Lil Red, was it dismissive and it just seemed to be a stickor was it a stick that just seemed to be dismissive?

I think the questions with FH are meant to be either/or, both/and, personal and/or general issues/topics of the day, as she mentioned both things in her original post.  the Arizona thing is something to talk about.  so are FP's questions.