An Old School Catholic Message Board

Skirt Up Lenten Challenge (not What You'd Think)

Lil Red

I could see dressing in a color (subdued purple or dark or subdued colors) or something.

I often wear skirts but don't see it as particularly penitential.  Maybe in a VERY cold climate... but actually In find skirts and tights warmer than pants a lot of the time....  

it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I am not sure there would be any witness value to it....and there are some times when, frankly, properly fitted pants could be more modest.  Maybe I'm just not quite getting it... 

Ancilla Domini

I already only wear skirts!  :winner:  (I think I have one pair of pantaloons...) It would be more penitential for me to wear pantaloons for lent. XD

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

I already only wear skirts!  :winner:  (I think I have one pair of pantaloons...) It would be more penitential for me to wear pantaloons for lent. XD

(Is there a f.i.l.t.e.r on p.a.n.t.s?)

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Basilisa Marie

You have GOT to be kidding me. 

And "act of reparation for women"?

"We are not saying that wearing pants is bad or un-feminine; it is possible to be modest and feminine in pants. However, we feel that wearing skirts is a way that we can very overtly express,in a world which so harshly rejects authentic femininity, that we are women who love every bit of how God created us."

Translation: Wearing pants isn't technically bad or unfeminine, but wearing a skirt is objectively better, and that way we can draw attention to ourselves because we're being super-feminine, more authentic women. 

UGH. 

Okay so dropping the snark, I can see how this could be a good idea... if you did it right.  Maybe it's about putting more effort into preparing yourself for mass, as part of a greater routine. Maybe you only have a couple of plain skirts, so it wouldn't be as flashy or colorful as what you'd normally wear, as part of a greater effort to make your Lenten wardrobe more modest. I have a good friend who gave up wearing jewelry for Lent - she normally loved wearing a ton of rings and earrings and all sorts of stuff, so it was an actual sacrifice for her.  And I think it's totally fine if women already choose to wear skirts all the time - that's great! Your decision! But that's not what this "movement" or whatever is about.  It's clearly about feeling good about yourself and drawing more attention to yourself, albeit positive attention. Making yourself look pretty is not normally the kind of sacrifice Lent asks of us. It's basically the exact opposite of what Lent is all about. 

/rant.