CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I just feel like if someone truly believes that skirts confer the wearer with authentic femininity why would it be a sacrifice to wear skirts during lent?
blazeingstar Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I just feel like if someone truly believes that skirts confer the wearer with authentic femininity why would it be a sacrifice to wear skirts during lent? I think because this really isn't about "authentic femininity" it's about the author's idea of impressing her style of dress onto others in the same way that other styles of dress are impressed upon us. This is the idea that wearing a skirt will make one more graceful and feminine and somehow act against the tide of feminism that makes it ok for women to kill their own children or for men to abuse women. In actuality, many women who condone abortion are very beautiful and outwardly feminine...even wearing skirts and many women who are abused do not like to wear skirts. I see this as a greater continuing of the cycle of shame that women are put in in regards to their attire.
DiscerningCatholic Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I always wear only skirts. LOL I wore p.ants under my skirt at the March for Life, but I never wear p.ants without a skirt over it. Personal preference is all. Unfortunately, my warmest skirt is white. My warmest coat is black. I had black boots on. Consequently, about 6 people at the March (including the vocations director of the Eastern Province of OP friars) thought I was a sister. Whoops. :|
DiscerningCatholic Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 The author makes it sound like wearing a skirt would go noticed by the public. "Hey, I noticed you were wearing a skirt! Why?" Non-Catholics wear skirts all the time. :|
Ancilla Domini Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Unfortunately, my warmest skirt is white. My warmest coat is black. I had black boots on. Consequently, about 6 people at the March (including the vocations director of the Eastern Province of OP friars) thought I was a sister. Whoops. :| You poor dear, you probably hated that! :hehe2:
Lilllabettt Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I'm aware. My point is that I've heard the argument that women are more prone to decide and think based on emotions whereas men are more prone to logic. While this sometimes is the case, it obviously is not for everyone. The reason I say "Being independent" pertains to that fact that I've heard women should let the men do the men's work. This is true. But it's not always possible. The women who worked in the factories during WWII, in a way, were independent (from their husbands). Also, being independent because I don't feel the need to have a boyfriend, not because I'm a prude, but because I am fulfilled by God. So ... you don't wear skirts because you don't want to be thought of as a woman? Because women are thought of as emotional and dependent? Furthermore, they're just not me. I am not a girly girl. I like to communicate in few words. I am a big picture as opposed to details person. I try to think logically and critically about things, while remaining compassionate and open minded. I like being independent. I'm an avid bicyclist and dancer. Skirts just aren't my deal. so chicks who wear skirts don't think logically, aren't compassionate and open-minded, are dependent and don't like dancing or riding bikes. And they are talkative. You are not those things. So wearing skirts is not for you??? Or is it that women are seen as being this way. And you aren't that way. So you don't want to be seen as a woman. So wearking skirts is not for you. ???? Trying to understand your reasoning ...
ToJesusMyHeart Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I ride bikes while wearing a skirt. It's tricky but possible. Oh and dancing is more fun in skirts because they flow and are pretty.
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) Clothes dont mean poo. People do The problem with this article is that they are saying that wearing a skirt means something about defining women or some ish. No. It can define your personality and personal taste, but it doesnt define anything else. So lets stop. Wear what you want, it doesnt give you any additional super powers. Edited March 4, 2014 by CrossCuT
ToJesusMyHeart Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Sometimes you need friends to cut your skirt out of your spokes with a pocket knife.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I want a bike as cool as yours :cry: Dream big!
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 How much did it cost you? I am very keen on purchasing a bike when the snow melts (if it ever does)
ToJesusMyHeart Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 How much did it cost you? I am very keen on purchasing a bike when the snow melts (if it ever does) $120 I think. Walmart. Speaking of snow it snowed today in texas! Classes got delayed until 11am. It was awesome. Is awesome. I'm still enjoying no class.
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 $120 I think. Walmart. Speaking of snow it snowed today in texas! Classes got delayed until 11am. It was amesome. Is amesome. I'm still enjoying no class. The words 'awesome' and 'snow' do not belong in the same sentence.
DiscerningCatholic Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 You poor dear, you probably hated that! :hehe2: You know, I kind of actually did because I couldn't say, "No, I'm not...but I will be soon!" because that wasn't true anymore. :pinch: It was really awkward. And I always bike in a skirt. A skort, really. But still. I've ridden my bike in a regular skirt. The trick is to getting all the fabric over the front of the seat. :D
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 PS So this authentic femininity the site talks about...its cool beans and all but my authentic femininity is defined by how I act, through my deeds, and who I am. Not by if I wear a damn skirt. So people should stop trying to compress women into these categories of meaningless things that somehow define them. A skirt doesnt define you...the site is wack and they should feel bad.
blazeingstar Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Clothes dont mean poo. People do The problem with this article is that they are saying that wearing a skirt means something about defining women or some ish. No. It can define your personality and personal taste, but it doesnt define anything else. So lets stop. Wear what you want, it doesnt give you any additional super powers. Wow. Crosscut is actually saying what I am. Could it be that we have found a topic we agree on? What they are doing is declaring that wearing a skirt is more feminine and will somehow lead to more of a reverence of feminine mystique and protection of females. They have no proof and evidence and considering the crimes against women since the 1600 and 1700's when peasants clothing for men moved away from a skirt/tunic like garb. The fact that is that if you examine the past 3,000 years of history their will be less variation in man and woman dress than there was in the 1700-1900's. I'm a firm believer that history is just correcting itself. When we begin to assign meaning to things without the scope of history, things get really dicy. It is wacky to assign femininity to something that has only *barley* culturally (and in western culture to boot) defined a human with a vagina and not a penis for the past couple of centuries.
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) Wow. Crosscut is actually saying what I am. Could it be that we have found a topic we agree on? What they are doing is declaring that wearing a skirt is more feminine and will somehow lead to more of a reverence of feminine mystique and protection of females. They have no proof and evidence and considering the crimes against women since the 1600 and 1700's when peasants clothing for men moved away from a skirt/tunic like garb. The fact that is that if you examine the past 3,000 years of history their will be less variation in man and woman dress than there was in the 1700-1900's. I'm a firm believer that history is just correcting itself. When we begin to assign meaning to things without the scope of history, things get really dicy. It is wacky to assign femininity to something that has only *barley* culturally (and in western culture to boot) defined a human with a vagina and not a penis for the past couple of centuries. I think we might agree blazey!! Haha Most of this stems from historical prospective of women wearing dresses...which also coincides with a time when they were oppressed. But all Im saying is that people should wear skirts or NOT wear skirts. I dont give a floop! I just have a problem when we are setting narrow definitions on women as a gender and what femininity means. Really? Being feminine is reduced to materialism? Nope. Edited March 4, 2014 by CrossCuT
PhuturePriest Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I've actually heard people call it the Sin of Adam, as in more his fault, because at least Eve was tricked and tried to put up a little fight. So it's probably more traditional to call it that than the Sin of Eve. :) True story: I was debating with this guy who told me the Church is sexist, and I told him pretty much what you said above, and he told me that was sexist. And no, he unfortunately wasn't trolling.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now