PhuturePriest Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Trying to figure out the angle to this. Wearing skirts is so awful it's penitential? I'm breaking societal norms to wear one, so they better not be that bad.
brandelynmarie Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 I look like a.........oh, nevermind!....in a skirt :hehe:
southern california guy Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 I find femininity really attractive (!) but, if one is more accustomed to wearing jeans and such, I could see how this is a penance, (stepping out of their comfort zones and what not) Tony you can wear jeans under the skirt. I've seen it done.
mcts Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Am I the only one that likes the name? Maybe I've watched too much How I Met Your Mother lol.
beatitude Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 (edited) That whole site is one giant eye-roll to me, especially the handy description of second-wave feminism (which was apparently all a cunning plot to get women having abortions and short hairstyles and wearing pantaloons in order "to be like men") and the reassurance that "while Katie and Kendra love casseroles, they don't seek to get women back in the kitchen wearing aprons and pearls". If you're not a feminist, just say so. Don't try to twist feminism into something it isn't because you think using the label makes you sound good. "By the grace of God, 'New Wave Feminism' is rising up. Wherein recognising the equality of the dignity possessed by both women and men, yet also the beautiful complementarity women and men have to one another, the thought of depending upon a man or even obedience to a man is more embraced and desired. Within our female design is the innate desire to be looked after, taken care of." What does that even mean when you scratch the surface of it? "The equality of the dignity"? I've heard these weasel words before. This kind of thing. There is such a special dignity in doing housework. It might be unpaid labour, and it lasts far longer than 9-5, but while a woman's back aches as she scrubs the toilet she gets to enjoy the special feeling that she is being cherished and cared for through hubby's income and 'real' 9-5 job. In this way her feminine needs are met and the beautiful complementarity of the spouses is enhanced. Praise God! But men and women are dependent on one another and we take care of one another. Trying to make out that one is the carer and one is the cared-for is wrong (not to mention extremely disingenuous, as it usually conceals the vast disparity in labour - unpaid housework rarely seems to count for anything among people who think like this). Some of that site goes beyond eye-roll-inducing. It's plain offensive. There is an article about how women have a special responsibility to fight evil because of the fall of Eve (!), complete with a photo of topless Femen protesters, who are 'precious daughters' who have been driven to cooperate with Marxism (!!) and evil. Lots of sugary language about how we must pray for the precious daughters - followed by a nice contrast photo of the blogger herself, wearing a skirt, standing alongside her husband, surrounded by babies. No judgments, of course, but if you want a little snapshot of what the True Catholic Lady looks like after being subjected to the unpleasant and disedifying sight of naked Marxists, then here you are. It all feels pretty...smug? Edited March 2, 2014 by beatitude
Lilllabettt Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Oh for heavens sakes. They look like perfectly nice women doing stuff for the love of Jesus. Leave them alone. also, not to bring down anybody's ivory tower... but no American mass-appealer uses the word 'feminism" to make themselves sound good. Most people don't use the word as a compliment. They use it as an insult.
PhuturePriest Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Oh for heavens sakes. They look like perfectly nice women doing stuff for the love of Jesus. Leave them alone. also, not to bring down anybody's ivory tower... but no American mass-appealer uses the word 'feminism" to make themselves sound good. Most people don't use the word as a compliment. They use it as an insult. Feminazi.
beatitude Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Oh for heavens sakes. They look like perfectly nice women doing stuff for the love of Jesus. Leave them alone. also, not to bring down anybody's ivory tower... but no American mass-appealer uses the word 'feminism" to make themselves sound good. Most people don't use the word as a compliment. They use it as an insult. I'm aware of that. But quite a few Catholic women seem to like calling themselves feminist as a means of outreach to non-Catholic women, thinking it makes their positions look better. It doesn't. I get queasy over sugary-sweet websites that talk about how I as a woman have a special responsibility for fighting sin because of Eve, no matter how loving the intentions might be. It probably wasn't worth making a post over.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Oh for heavens sakes. They look like perfectly nice women doing stuff for the love of Jesus. Leave them alone. also, not to bring down anybody's ivory tower... but no American mass-appealer uses the word 'feminism" to make themselves sound good. Most people don't use the word as a compliment. They use it as an insult. Sure, they're perfectly nice. They're also peddling sugary sweetness as true femininity when all they're really hawking is a saccharine substitute.
Lilllabettt Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Sure, they're perfectly nice. They're also peddling sugary sweetness as true femininity when all they're really hawking is a saccharine substitute. oh why don't you go do your thing and let them do theirs. honestly feminists can be so insecure. girly girls are not a threat to you. anyway there may well be "true femininity" underneath all the frou frou. ain't nobody got the market cornered on "true femininity."
Basilisa Marie Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 oh why don't you go do your thing and let them do theirs. honestly feminists can be so insecure. girly girls are not a threat to you. anyway there may well be "true femininity" underneath all the frou frou. ain't nobody got the market cornered on "true femininity." I don't have a problem with femininity or girly-girlness or all of that. I have a problem when women act like "true femininity" is a very particular brand of girly-girlness. You're right - nobody's got the market cornered on true femininity. But that's one reason why the article annoys me so much. They're acting like true femininity is about a very particular kind of way of being a woman, and pretending that they're being nice to women who disagree with them, when I wish they had enough gall to be a little confrontational. I wish they'd either do a better job of acknowledging that their favored flavor of femininity isn't the only right one, or actually cut the charade and stand up for what they think is right. It just feels dishonest and fickle to me, otherwise. The niceness doesn't feel genuine at all.
Lilllabettt Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 ahhh. im sorry you have all these feelings about being nice. We all have our preferences, don't we. Some people would just rather be nice, even when they are asserting an opinion.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 ahhh. im sorry you have all these feelings about being nice. We all have our preferences, don't we. Some people would just rather be nice, even when they are asserting an opinion. Okay look, sister. You think I'm a giant narcissist stuck in my ivory tower divorced from reality. I think you're smugly sitting atop your DIY pillar of virtue. We're both happily high and mighty, and neither of us are changing. Can I propose a truce, so we can quit snarking at each other all over the forum?
Lilllabettt Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 but im not someone who likes to be nice asserting an opinion. :harhar: i happen to agree with you that balls out is best and the sugar sweet stuff is gross. but to each his own right? broad mindedness and all? diy pillar of virtue --- that sounds awesomesauce but i agree to a truce and will try not to go red wedding on you
Basilisa Marie Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 but im not someone who likes to be nice asserting an opinion. :harhar: i happen to agree with you that balls out is best and the sugar sweet stuff is gross. but to each his own right? broad mindedness and all? diy pillar of virtue --- that sounds awesomesauce but i agree to a truce and will try not to go red wedding on you Hooray! :bananarap:
CrossCuT Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 Can someone post the text of the article? I get a 404 error when I click the link.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 2, 2014 Posted March 2, 2014 (edited) Go to the home page and click the link in the bar. It worked for me. Edited March 2, 2014 by Basilisa Marie
MarysLittleFlower Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 I haven't read the article yet... but I wear skirts all the time anyways, lol.. I actually find them to be warmer in the winter than when I used to wear jeans. I wear long skirts and a coat and if you pair them with long boots and warm tights, it's pretty warm :) and I live in a cold climate where in January we often get -20 and -30 weather. I still wear my skirts and I'm not colder in them than in pants.
MarysLittleFlower Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 (edited) Ok now I've read the article :) I think that this person is trying to say that having equal dignity as men doesn't mean trying to be like men, but that men and women are different and that's okay. I think she's saying that in our society, - we tend to think that men and women should not have differences in order to both have dignity, and that dignity is the same as equality which is similarity. I don't know if I've misunderstood or something.. I don't call myself a feminist, I'm actualy decidedly not a feminist, - I think the author is maybe trying to define the word in a different way to appeal to women who might reject the idea just because they're so attached to the idea of women's dignity, etc, and mistakenly think that it means being like a man. Maybe the author thought that my calling her approach feminism too, but a different type, it might help open up these people so they don't reject it outright, but look at it deeper. I don't know. I personally don't call myself a feminist. I think also there's nothing shameful in being a stay at home mom, etc, and that this is a beautiful vocation and there's nothing wrong with it, though our society would have us think so. I've only read that one article so I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding anything, - just sharing some ideas I got reading it quickly. Edited March 3, 2014 by MarysLittleFlower
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now