maximillion Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 Nice - the word makes me shudder, I would rather be anything than nice. Kind. Thoughtful. Compassionate. Empathetic. Warm. 'nice' just says too much frosting and little substance......but that's just me.
EmilyAnn Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 I have to wear trousers because that's my uniform at work. What a pity.
AnneLine Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 I'm not dissing anyone who wants to make this choice for Lent... it just doesn't work for me. (Mostly because I already mostly wear skirts, but have no real preference one way or the others. It's kind of like the choices som make to not use internet or Phatmass.. I know that is an important choice for some, and if it works for them great... but for me, it doesn't make sense. If it is a good thing the rest of the year, I see no reason not to continue it UNLESS it is taking over one's life. I can see the concept of limiting it to Sundays and Feast Days, perhaps, if it is a compulsion..... I remember being assigned the penance of NO non-work or school related reading of any kind for a week at one point... and that was one of the most penitential things I have done... and I have indeed remembered the penance! Everyone has to figure out what is the right choice for them, and what the choice might be THIS year. I remember one year when I realized that computer games were eating way too many of my hours, and making a choice to NOT go on a computer gaming site during Lent was an important choice. For now, probably getting to bed at a reasonable time and being sure I get in some solid prayer time, service of others, writing way overdue letters... these are probably far more penitential and far more practical choices to bring MY compulsions under control... and to give me the time to make choices to do things to bring me closer to God and His people. But everyone needs to find their own way.
CrossCuT Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 How about I act like a non feminine woman and not wear skirts for lent. That would be quite a sacrifice...to abandon my authentic femininity for lent. :P
Ancilla Domini Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 Nice - the word makes me shudder, I would rather be anything than nice. Kind. Thoughtful. Compassionate. Empathetic. Warm. 'nice' just says too much frosting and little substance......but that's just me. "Nice" is goodness devoid of greatness.
Lilllabettt Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 OK lets not go overboard on dissing "nice." "Nice" is not a virtue, but its not a failing either. Its just a personality element. A person can be great, and opinionated, and "nice." Some people do not like nice, and that is fine as well.
PhuturePriest Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 OK lets not go overboard on dissing "nice." "Nice" is not a virtue, but its not a failing either. Its just a personality element. A person can be great, and opinionated, and "nice." Some people do not like nice, and that is fine as well. I've always been told since I was little that I'm one of the most naturally nice and kind people you'll meet, and then at the same time I've been told that my issue is that I'm "too nice". :P I like being nice and kind, though. I don't think there's anything wrong with being nice. It's fine if people aren't naturally nice (So long as that doesn't mean they aren't naturally arseholes), but I don't see the need to bash niceness. Many Saints were very "nice" like Saint Therese, and many Saints were famous for being all about business and doing things like punching heretics in the face. There's no need to bash either one, because not everybody can go around punching heretics, and not everybody can be incredibly nice. The Church is great because it accepts and treasures diverse personalities, so we really shouldn't go around putting down what the Church thrives on.
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted March 3, 2014 Posted March 3, 2014 I simply can't stand skirting on a practical and personal level. Sometimes I'll wake up and be like "I think I'll wear a skirt today." One hour later I'm changing because I can't stand it. Furthermore, they're just not me. I am not a girly girl. I like to communicate in few words. I am a big picture as opposed to details person. I try to think logically and critically about things, while remaining compassionate and open minded. I like being independent. I'm an avid bicyclist and dancer. Skirts just aren't my deal.
Lilllabettt Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) Furthermore, [skirts are] just not me.I am not a girly girl. I like to communicate in few words. I am a big picture as opposed to details person. I try to think logically and critically about things, while remaining compassionate and open minded. I like being independent. I'm an avid bicyclist and dancer. Skirts just aren't my deal. lol... Just so you know... thinking "logically and critically about things," being "compassionate and open minded" and "being independent" are not qualities you get from wearing pa[i][/i]nts. Edited March 4, 2014 by Lilllabettt
blazeingstar Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I think that the problem here is that skirts are associated with some kind of special class of females that are somehow "more feminine" and better. And that those who perpetrate evil are somehow not feminine. Some of the most ruthless women who ever lived wore skirts and dresses! I am not a skirt wearer. I am wearing a wedding dress becuase my fi's mom would probably never speak to me if I didn't. But that's the only dress/skirt my fiancee will ever see me in. Does that somehow make me less of a woman? Does that somehow make me less feminine? I don't think so. It makes me less like someone's idea of how a good, conservative, Christian woman is supposed to act.
AnneLine Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) Maybe we could agree on what NOT to wear for Lent? I for one will not be attempting it! Edited March 4, 2014 by AnneLine
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Maybe we could agree on what NOT to wear for Lent? I for one will not be attempting it! I totes wear that
AnneLine Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Very well, Crosscut, I leave it to you! (And you probably would enjoy Downton Abbey as well!!!!)
CrossCuT Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) Yes ma'am!! I also adore Sybil!!!! Edited March 4, 2014 by CrossCuT
PhuturePriest Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Am I the only one who gets an image of a woman raising her skirt up every time I read the title of this thread?
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I get queasy over sugary-sweet websites that talk about how I as a woman have a special responsibility for fighting sin because of Eve, no matter how loving the intentions might be. It probably wasn't worth making a post over. Agreed. Adam and Eve had equal blame because each of them fell short of their expectations. Adam wasn't off naming fish, he was right next to Eve. The serpent said "If you don't eat the fruit you will die." This was a threat. As protector, Adam should have stood up against th serpent. The serpent was a frightening creature, but perfect love casts out fear (i.e. Adam should not have given in). Both of them were unfaithful. If they had called upon God, he would have come to their aid, after all, they knew he was God.
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 lol... Just so you know... thinking "logically and critically about things," being "compassionate and open minded" and "being independent" are not qualities you get from wearing pants. I'm aware. My point is that I've heard the argument that women are more prone to decide and think based on emotions whereas men are more prone to logic. While this sometimes is the case, it obviously is not for everyone. The reason I say "Being independent" pertains to that fact that I've heard women should let the men do the men's work. This is true. But it's not always possible. The women who worked in the factories during WWII, in a way, were independent (from their husbands). Also, being independent because I don't feel the need to have a boyfriend, not because I'm a prude, but because I am fulfilled by God.
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Am I the only one who gets an image of a woman raising her skirt up every time I read the title of this thread? No, you're obviously a pervert :p
PhuturePriest Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 No, you're obviously a pervert :P I'm the pervert, and yet you said "no", which implies you get the same image? ;)
Basilisa Marie Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Agreed. Adam and Eve had equal blame because each of them fell short of their expectations. Adam wasn't off naming fish, he was right next to Eve. The serpent said "If you don't eat the fruit you will die." This was a threat. As protector, Adam should have stood up against th serpent. The serpent was a frightening creature, but perfect love casts out fear (i.e. Adam should not have given in). Both of them were unfaithful. If they had called upon God, he would have come to their aid, after all, they knew he was God. I've actually heard people call it the Sin of Adam, as in more his fault, because at least Eve was tricked and tried to put up a little fight. So it's probably more traditional to call it that than the Sin of Eve. :)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now