An Old School Catholic Message Board

Skirt Up Lenten Challenge (not What You'd Think)

Lil Red

Basilisa Marie

oh why don't you go do your thing and let them do theirs.

honestly feminists can be so insecure. 

girly girls are not a threat to you.

anyway there may well be "true femininity" underneath all the frou frou.

ain't nobody got the market cornered on "true femininity." 

I don't have a problem with femininity or girly-girlness or all of that. I have a problem when women act like "true femininity" is a very particular brand of girly-girlness. You're right - nobody's got the market cornered on true femininity. But that's one reason why the article annoys me so much. They're acting like true femininity is about a very particular kind of way of being a woman, and pretending that they're being nice to women who disagree with them, when I wish they had enough gall to be a little confrontational. I wish they'd either do a better job of acknowledging that their favored flavor of femininity isn't the only right one, or actually cut the charade and stand up for what they think is right. It just feels dishonest and fickle to me, otherwise. The niceness doesn't feel genuine at all. 

Lilllabettt

ahhh. im sorry you have all these feelings about being nice. We all have our preferences, don't we.

Some people would just rather be nice, even when they are asserting an opinion.

Basilisa Marie

ahhh. im sorry you have all these feelings about being nice. We all have our preferences, don't we.

Some people would just rather be nice, even when they are asserting an opinion.

Okay look, sister.  

You think I'm a giant narcissist stuck in my ivory tower divorced from reality.  I think you're smugly sitting atop your DIY pillar of virtue. We're both happily high and mighty, and neither of us are changing. Can I propose a truce, so we can quit snarking at each other all over the forum? 

Lilllabettt

but im not someone who likes to be nice asserting an opinion. :harhar:

i happen to agree with you that balls out is best and the sugar sweet stuff is gross. but to each his own right? broad mindedness and all?

diy pillar of virtue --- that sounds awesomesauce

but i agree to a truce and will try not to go red wedding on you

Basilisa Marie

but im not someone who likes to be nice asserting an opinion. :harhar:

i happen to agree with you that balls out is best and the sugar sweet stuff is gross. but to each his own right? broad mindedness and all?

diy pillar of virtue --- that sounds awesomesauce

but i agree to a truce and will try not to go red wedding on you

Hooray!  :bananarap:

Can someone post the text of the article? I get a 404 error when I click the link.

Basilisa Marie

Go to the home page and click the link in the bar. It worked for me. 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

MarysLittleFlower

I haven't read the article yet... but I wear skirts all the time anyways, lol.. I actually find them to be warmer in the winter than when I used to wear jeans. I wear long skirts and a coat and if you pair them with long boots and warm tights, it's pretty warm :) and I live in a cold climate where in January we often get -20 and -30 weather. I still wear my skirts and I'm not colder in them than in pants.

MarysLittleFlower

Ok now I've read the article :)

I think that this person is trying to say that having equal dignity as men doesn't mean trying to be like men, but that men and women are different and that's okay. I think she's saying that in our society, - we tend to think that men and women should not have differences in order to both have dignity, and that dignity is the same as equality which is similarity.

I don't know if I've misunderstood or something..

I don't call myself a feminist, I'm actualy decidedly not a feminist, - I think the author is maybe trying to define the word in a different way to appeal to women who might reject the idea just because they're so attached to the idea of women's dignity, etc, and mistakenly think that it means being like a man. Maybe the author thought that my calling her approach feminism too, but a different type, it might help open up these people so they don't reject it outright, but look at it deeper. I don't know. I personally don't call myself a feminist. I think also there's nothing shameful in being a stay at home mom, etc, and that this is a beautiful vocation and there's nothing wrong with it, though our society would have us think so.

I've only read that one article so I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding anything, - just sharing some ideas I got reading it quickly.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

maximillion

Nice - the word makes me shudder, I would rather be anything than nice.

Kind.

Thoughtful.

Compassionate.

Empathetic.

Warm.

'nice' just says too much frosting and little substance......but that's just me.

I'm not dissing anyone who wants to make this choice for Lent... it just doesn't work for me.  (Mostly because I already mostly wear skirts, but have no real preference one way or the others.

It's kind of like the choices som make to not use internet or Phatmass.. I know that is an important choice for some, and if it works for them great... but for me, it doesn't make sense.  If it is a good thing the rest of the year, I see no reason not to continue it UNLESS it is taking over one's life. I can see the concept of limiting it to Sundays and Feast Days, perhaps, if it is a compulsion.....  I remember being assigned the penance of NO non-work or school related reading of any kind for a week at one point... and that was one of the most penitential things I have done... and I have indeed remembered the penance!

Everyone has to figure out what is the right choice for them, and what the choice might be THIS year.  I remember one year when I realized that computer games were eating way too many of my hours, and making a choice to NOT go on a computer gaming site during Lent was an important choice.  For now, probably getting to bed at a reasonable time and being sure I get in some solid prayer time, service of others, writing way overdue letters... these are probably far more penitential and far more practical choices to bring MY compulsions under control... and to give me the time to make choices to do things to bring me closer to God and His people.  But everyone needs to find their own way.

How about I act like a non feminine woman and not wear skirts for lent. That would be quite a sacrifice...to abandon my authentic femininity for lent. :P

Ancilla Domini

Nice - the word makes me shudder, I would rather be anything than nice.

Kind.

Thoughtful.

Compassionate.

Empathetic.

Warm.

'nice' just says too much frosting and little substance......but that's just me.

"Nice" is goodness devoid of greatness.