An Old School Catholic Message Board

Skirt Up Lenten Challenge (not What You'd Think)

Lil Red

DiscerningCatholic

You poor dear, you probably hated that! :hehe2:

You know, I kind of actually did because I couldn't say, "No, I'm not...but I will be soon!" because that wasn't true anymore. :pinch: It was really awkward. 

And I always bike in a skirt. A skort, really. But still. I've ridden my bike in a regular skirt. The trick is to getting all the fabric over the front of the seat. :D

PS So this authentic femininity the site talks about...its cool beans and all but my authentic femininity is defined by how I act, through my deeds, and who I am.

Not by if I wear a damn skirt.

So people should stop trying to compress women into these categories of meaningless things that somehow define them. A skirt doesnt define you...the site is wack and they should feel bad.

blazeingstar

Clothes dont mean poo.

People do

The problem with this article is that they are saying that wearing a skirt means something about defining women or some ish. No.

It can define your personality and personal taste, but it doesnt define anything else. So lets stop.

Wear what you want, it doesnt give you any additional super powers.

Wow.  Crosscut is actually saying what I am.

Could it be that we have found a topic we agree on?

What they are doing is declaring that wearing a skirt is more feminine and will somehow lead to more of a reverence of feminine mystique and protection of females.  They have no proof and evidence and considering the crimes against women since the 1600 and 1700's when peasants clothing for men moved away from a skirt/tunic like garb.

The fact that is that if you examine the past 3,000 years of history their will be less variation in man and woman dress than there was in the 1700-1900's.  I'm a firm believer that history is just correcting itself.

When we begin to assign meaning to things without the scope of history, things get really dicy.  It is wacky to assign femininity to something that has only *barley* culturally (and in western culture to boot) defined a human with a vagina and not a penis for the past couple of centuries.

Wow.  Crosscut is actually saying what I am.

Could it be that we have found a topic we agree on?

What they are doing is declaring that wearing a skirt is more feminine and will somehow lead to more of a reverence of feminine mystique and protection of females.  They have no proof and evidence and considering the crimes against women since the 1600 and 1700's when peasants clothing for men moved away from a skirt/tunic like garb.

The fact that is that if you examine the past 3,000 years of history their will be less variation in man and woman dress than there was in the 1700-1900's.  I'm a firm believer that history is just correcting itself.

When we begin to assign meaning to things without the scope of history, things get really dicy.  It is wacky to assign femininity to something that has only *barley* culturally (and in western culture to boot) defined a human with a vagina and not a penis for the past couple of centuries.

I think we might agree blazey!! Haha

Most of this stems from historical prospective of women wearing dresses...which also coincides with a time when they were oppressed. But all Im saying is that people should wear skirts or NOT wear skirts. I dont give a floop!

I just have a problem when we are setting narrow definitions on women as a gender and what femininity means. Really? Being feminine is reduced to materialism? Nope.

Edited by CrossCuT

PhuturePriest

I've actually heard people call it the Sin of Adam, as in more his fault, because at least Eve was tricked and tried to put up a little fight. So it's probably more traditional to call it that than the Sin of Eve. :)

True story: I was debating with this guy who told me the Church is sexist, and I told him pretty much what you said above, and he told me that was sexist. And no, he unfortunately wasn't trolling.

PhuturePriest

I ride bikes while wearing a skirt. It's tricky but possible. Oh and dancing is more fun in skirts because they flow and are pretty. 

Truth. Skirts are especially cool when the man spins the girl and the skirt flows really fast.

Am I the only one who gets an image of a woman raising her skirt up every time I read the title of this thread?

that's why I said it was an awful name. 

We are still getting -25 degrees Celsius and as low as -32 Celsius a few days ago, without the wind factor.  The women who would take up this challenge around our parts would be brave and admirable indeed.  I will propose it to my daughter.

Mary+Immaculate<3

So ... you don't wear skirts because you don't want to be thought of as a woman? Because women are thought of as emotional and dependent?

so chicks who wear skirts don't think logically, aren't compassionate and open-minded, are dependent and don't like dancing or riding bikes. And they are talkative. You are not those things. So wearing skirts is not for you???

Or is it that women are seen as being this way. And you aren't that way. So you don't want to be seen as a woman. So wearking skirts is not for you. ????

Trying to understand your reasoning ...

I should have explained better initially, I apologize, mea culpa. Something about communicating on the Internet causes me to not express myself very well.

I wear skirts occasionally for special occasions and sometimes for Mass, but for every day they're just not my style. In no way do I p.ants them to associate with men, but only because I have a lifestyle and preferences which make more sense for p.ants. I like being silly and talking about relationships with my friends, but am not a girly-girl in that I dress pretty casually and am not very glitzy and into fashion.

The reason I listed those qualities describing and contrasting myself to others is because of what I heard from a certain source which promoted solely skirt-wearing. This particular source mentioned that, generally, women tend to make make emotional, rather than logical decisions. It pointed out that women should let their husband do the "heavy work" (e.g. repairing the roof, etc.) While this is often the case, it leaves out what single women or those whose provider isn't present are to do. Being independent involves doing hard work sometimes.

The reason I said compassionate, open-minded, and talkative is because those are often also associated with women. I myself try to be compassionate and open-minded becuase as a Christian that's what I should do, as should men. I also try to think critically and logically about things because, as a single woman, I don't have a male partner in which to ask for logic. Also, as a person, I am a mixed bag. I have emotions but I try not to let them get in the way of clear thinking, that's how I am.

In conclusion, the reason I posted in the first place was because it seems like there's too much generalization on both sides of the feminist issue.

On one hand, there are the feminists who are pro abortion, birth control, etc. There "pro-women" people generalize women to be this strong, dominating, and not to reckoned with half of the human race. The problem with this mindset is that it (sometimes) makes men more wimpy, lazy, and disrespectful to women.

On the other hand, there are the feminists who recognize the inherent dignity of the woman. The pro-chivalry, pro-life, and promoting of the traditional family structure feminists. These are all wonderful. However, as can be seen through this thread, this mindset can become generalized too. Being a stay-at-home mother is a wonderful thing, without a doubt. However, there seems to be an emphasis that women are generally more emotional and compassionate, and using that generalization as a reason for women to be more dependent. My disagreement with this is that each woman is unique, each have differing tastes and preferences. Their dress varies because of their uniqueness.

What I'm basically trying to say is that no one can replace other, and each person has their own personality and style. As a woman, I don't prefer to wear skirts because it simply does not appeal to me. Despite sources that say women should wear skirts to express their femininity, my femininity is more than what I wear. Feminity is a way of living, not a garment of clothing.

God bless,
M+I<3 Edited by Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

I ride bikes while wearing a skirt. It's tricky but possible. Oh and dancing is more fun in skirts because they flow and are pretty.

That's good to know about bike-riding, but when I ride my bike I really go fast. I bike for the exercise as much as for fun. I will have to try skirt-biking if I have the chance, once the snow melts.

Well, yes, dancing with skirts is very pretty, especially pointe ballerinas (I adore watching dancers en pointe!) However, I do Irish dancing. That involves many tricky and fast moves. Dancing in a skirt longer than knee-length defeats the purpose of the dance because one cannot see the moves as well. Additionally, a flowy skirt, while pretty, is distracting when one is trying to focus on the footwork.

God bless,
M+I<3 Edited by Mary+Immaculate<3

And I always bike in a skirt. A skort, really. But still. I've ridden my bike in a regular skirt. The trick is to getting all the fabric over the front of the seat. :D

article-1324270-0BCABAAD000005DC-498_468

Check out this video at 4.01 minutes into the hour (of course, I like the whole thing... but... yes!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2kC07RULI

Edwardian Farm - how a lady would ride a bicycle....