PhuturePriest Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I ride bikes while wearing a skirt. It's tricky but possible. Oh and dancing is more fun in skirts because they flow and are pretty. Truth. Skirts are especially cool when the man spins the girl and the skirt flows really fast.
Lil Red Posted March 4, 2014 Author Posted March 4, 2014 Am I the only one who gets an image of a woman raising her skirt up every time I read the title of this thread? that's why I said it was an awful name.
Didacus Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 We are still getting -25 degrees Celsius and as low as -32 Celsius a few days ago, without the wind factor. The women who would take up this challenge around our parts would be brave and admirable indeed. I will propose it to my daughter.
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) So ... you don't wear skirts because you don't want to be thought of as a woman? Because women are thought of as emotional and dependent? so chicks who wear skirts don't think logically, aren't compassionate and open-minded, are dependent and don't like dancing or riding bikes. And they are talkative. You are not those things. So wearing skirts is not for you??? Or is it that women are seen as being this way. And you aren't that way. So you don't want to be seen as a woman. So wearking skirts is not for you. ???? Trying to understand your reasoning ... I should have explained better initially, I apologize, mea culpa. Something about communicating on the Internet causes me to not express myself very well. I wear skirts occasionally for special occasions and sometimes for Mass, but for every day they're just not my style. In no way do I p.ants them to associate with men, but only because I have a lifestyle and preferences which make more sense for p.ants. I like being silly and talking about relationships with my friends, but am not a girly-girl in that I dress pretty casually and am not very glitzy and into fashion. The reason I listed those qualities describing and contrasting myself to others is because of what I heard from a certain source which promoted solely skirt-wearing. This particular source mentioned that, generally, women tend to make make emotional, rather than logical decisions. It pointed out that women should let their husband do the "heavy work" (e.g. repairing the roof, etc.) While this is often the case, it leaves out what single women or those whose provider isn't present are to do. Being independent involves doing hard work sometimes. The reason I said compassionate, open-minded, and talkative is because those are often also associated with women. I myself try to be compassionate and open-minded becuase as a Christian that's what I should do, as should men. I also try to think critically and logically about things because, as a single woman, I don't have a male partner in which to ask for logic. Also, as a person, I am a mixed bag. I have emotions but I try not to let them get in the way of clear thinking, that's how I am. In conclusion, the reason I posted in the first place was because it seems like there's too much generalization on both sides of the feminist issue. On one hand, there are the feminists who are pro abortion, birth control, etc. There "pro-women" people generalize women to be this strong, dominating, and not to reckoned with half of the human race. The problem with this mindset is that it (sometimes) makes men more wimpy, lazy, and disrespectful to women. On the other hand, there are the feminists who recognize the inherent dignity of the woman. The pro-chivalry, pro-life, and promoting of the traditional family structure feminists. These are all wonderful. However, as can be seen through this thread, this mindset can become generalized too. Being a stay-at-home mother is a wonderful thing, without a doubt. However, there seems to be an emphasis that women are generally more emotional and compassionate, and using that generalization as a reason for women to be more dependent. My disagreement with this is that each woman is unique, each have differing tastes and preferences. Their dress varies because of their uniqueness. What I'm basically trying to say is that no one can replace other, and each person has their own personality and style. As a woman, I don't prefer to wear skirts because it simply does not appeal to me. Despite sources that say women should wear skirts to express their femininity, my femininity is more than what I wear. Feminity is a way of living, not a garment of clothing. God bless, M+I<3 Edited March 4, 2014 by Mary+Immaculate<3
Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) I ride bikes while wearing a skirt. It's tricky but possible. Oh and dancing is more fun in skirts because they flow and are pretty. That's good to know about bike-riding, but when I ride my bike I really go fast. I bike for the exercise as much as for fun. I will have to try skirt-biking if I have the chance, once the snow melts. Well, yes, dancing with skirts is very pretty, especially pointe ballerinas (I adore watching dancers en pointe!) However, I do Irish dancing. That involves many tricky and fast moves. Dancing in a skirt longer than knee-length defeats the purpose of the dance because one cannot see the moves as well. Additionally, a flowy skirt, while pretty, is distracting when one is trying to focus on the footwork. God bless, M+I<3 Edited March 4, 2014 by Mary+Immaculate<3
AnneLine Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 And I always bike in a skirt. A skort, really. But still. I've ridden my bike in a regular skirt. The trick is to getting all the fabric over the front of the seat. :D Check out this video at 4.01 minutes into the hour (of course, I like the whole thing... but... yes!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2kC07RULI Edwardian Farm - how a lady would ride a bicycle....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now