An Old School Catholic Message Board

Skirt Up Lenten Challenge (not What You'd Think)

Lil Red

I just feel like if someone truly believes that skirts confer the wearer with authentic femininity why would it be a sacrifice to wear skirts during lent?

blazeingstar

I just feel like if someone truly believes that skirts confer the wearer with authentic femininity why would it be a sacrifice to wear skirts during lent?

I think because this really isn't about "authentic femininity" it's about the author's idea of impressing her style of dress onto others in the same way that other styles of dress are impressed upon us. 

This is the idea that wearing a skirt will make one more graceful and feminine and somehow act against the tide of feminism that makes it ok for women to kill their own children or for men to abuse women.  In actuality, many women who condone abortion are very beautiful and outwardly feminine...even wearing skirts and many women who are abused do not like to wear skirts.

I see this as a greater continuing of the cycle of shame that women are put in in regards to their attire.

DiscerningCatholic

I always wear only skirts. LOL I wore p.ants under my skirt at the March for Life, but I never wear p.ants without a skirt over it. Personal preference is all. 

Unfortunately, my warmest skirt is white. My warmest coat is black. I had black boots on. Consequently, about 6 people at the March (including the vocations director of the Eastern Province of OP friars) thought I was a sister. Whoops. 

:| 

DiscerningCatholic

The author makes it sound like wearing a skirt would go noticed by the public. "Hey, I noticed you were wearing a skirt! Why?" Non-Catholics wear skirts all the time. :|

Ancilla Domini

Unfortunately, my warmest skirt is white. My warmest coat is black. I had black boots on. Consequently, about 6 people at the March (including the vocations director of the Eastern Province of OP friars) thought I was a sister. Whoops. 

:|

You poor dear, you probably hated that! :hehe2:

Lilllabettt

I'm aware. My point is that I've heard the argument that women are more prone to decide and think based on emotions whereas men are more prone to logic. While this sometimes is the case, it obviously is not for everyone.
The reason I say "Being independent" pertains to that fact that I've heard women should let the men do the men's work. This is true. But it's not always possible. The women who worked in the factories during WWII, in a way, were independent (from their husbands). Also, being independent because I don't feel the need to have a boyfriend, not because I'm a prude, but because I am fulfilled by God.

So ... you don't wear skirts because you don't want to be thought of as a woman? Because women are thought of as emotional and dependent?

Furthermore, they're just not me. I am not a girly girl. I like to communicate in few words. I am a big picture as opposed to details person. I try to think logically and critically about things, while remaining compassionate and open minded. I like being independent. I'm an avid bicyclist and dancer. Skirts just aren't my deal.

so  chicks who wear skirts don't think logically, aren't compassionate and open-minded, are dependent and don't like dancing or riding bikes. And they are talkative.  You are not those things. So wearing skirts is not for you???

Or is it that women are seen as being this way. And you aren't that way. So you don't want to be seen as a woman. So wearking skirts is not for you. ????

Trying to understand your reasoning ...

ToJesusMyHeart

I ride bikes while wearing a skirt. It's tricky but possible. Oh and dancing is more fun in skirts because they flow and are pretty. 

Clothes dont mean poo.

People do

The problem with this article is that they are saying that wearing a skirt means something about defining women or some ish. No.

It can define your personality and personal taste, but it doesnt define anything else. So lets stop.

Wear what you want, it doesnt give you any additional super powers.

Edited by CrossCuT

ToJesusMyHeart

1385848_10153523146160602_1014342556_n.j

Sometimes you need friends to cut your skirt out of your spokes with a pocket knife. 

How much did it cost you? I am very keen on purchasing a bike when the snow melts (if it ever does)

ToJesusMyHeart

How much did it cost you? I am very keen on purchasing a bike when the snow melts (if it ever does)

$120 I think. Walmart. Speaking of snow it snowed today in texas! Classes got delayed until 11am. It was awesome. Is awesome. I'm still enjoying no class. 

$120 I think. Walmart. Speaking of snow it snowed today in texas! Classes got delayed until 11am. It was amesome. Is amesome. I'm still enjoying no class. 

The words 'awesome' and 'snow' do not belong in the same sentence.