Lilllabettt Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 as a catholic tomorrow. seriously - I am. Mostly because I will have a black smear on my face and will be forced to explain why I am not going to wash it off. Faithful Catholic religious observance is not something that is accepted in my living, working and learning circles. I spend time with other Catholics at church, but I don't know any openly practicing Catholics among my neighbors, classmates and coworkers in "real" life. Some have gotten very hostile at the mention of the idea. Others have merely laughed and ridiculed. When these people find out that an observant catholic has been among them the whole time I am guessing they may be some mixture of surprised, embarrassed or pissed off. I do know of a couple people I expect will be supportive, because that is just their personality. so please say a prayer for me and join me in hoping I don't ruin my career.
blazeingstar Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I know how you feel :/ I did that last year and know people thought I was weird and old fashioned and oppressed. It's super uncomfortable.
PhuturePriest Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 (edited) Balls to the wall Lillabettt is a girl. Edited March 4, 2014 by FuturePriest387
Ice_nine Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I've always gone to evening mass on ash wednesday so I've never had this problem. I'm probably too much of a coward anyway. Good luck.
Ancilla Domini Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I remember going to baseball practice when I was 11 or 12 with ashes on my forehead, and these kids kept coming up to me and saying, "You have dirt on your forehead." I would just say "I know." Then one of the coaches saved me by saying, "Oh, you're Catholic! I got ashes this morning, too!" :D
ToJesusMyHeart Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 you got this lillla! i am praying for you. "Blessed are you when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. [...] You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house."
CatholicCid Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Lillabettt is a girl. Plot twist: So is CrossCut.
Not The Philosopher Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 On the internet, we are all GuysInRealLifeS
Kateri89 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I'm pretty sure there will be a priest distributing ashes at work tomorrow. I'm determined to get them one way or another :evil:
Golden Years Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I went through that last year. I was so sure I would catch a lot of flak about it at the office but surprisingly no one seemed to care (or else they just didn't notice). My coworkers are way too self-centered to pay much attention to what I do LOL. Have a blessed Lent everyone!
ardillacid Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Lillabettt is a girl. You misunderstand the source of the phrase. :rolleyes: perv
HisChildForever Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I'm not able to go tomorrow. I have bangs so you wouldn't be able to see the ashes anyway.
PhuturePriest Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 I'm not able to go tomorrow. I have bangs so you wouldn't be able to see the ashes anyway. I'm going for the first time in three years. I used to go every year, but the past two I just haven't been able to make it.
BG45 Posted March 4, 2014 Posted March 4, 2014 Prayers Lilla! It would be less than good for me professionally tomorrow, given most of my department is "lapsed" and hates Catholicism...but I'm teaching during all the imposition of ashes during the day and will be going to the on campus one at day's end.
HisChildForever Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I'm going for the first time in three years. I used to go every year, but the past two I just haven't been able to make it. Yeah I haven't gone in 2 or 3 years for various reasons. I recall the last Ash Wednesday Mass I attended was at noon, the church I went to was a pretty decent size and it was PACKED. I really do wonder what the appeal of Ash Wednesday is to Christmas/Easter Catholics.
NotreDame Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I recall the last Ash Wednesday Mass I attended was at noon, the church I went to was a pretty decent size and it was PACKED. I really do wonder what the appeal of Ash Wednesday is to Christmas/Easter Catholics. Yes. Packed. Same experience here. Good question. :think:
Norseman82 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I went through that last year. I was so sure I would catch a lot of flak about it at the office but surprisingly no one seemed to care (or else they just didn't notice). My coworkers are way too self-centered to pay much attention to what I do LOL. Have a blessed Lent everyone! One coworker gave me the "you have dirt on your forehead" two years in a row! Yes. Packed. Same experience here. Good question. :think: At St. Peter's in downtown Chicago, they have ash distribution all day. It's like an assembly line of people getting ashes there.
PhuturePriest Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 Yeah I haven't gone in 2 or 3 years for various reasons. I recall the last Ash Wednesday Mass I attended was at noon, the church I went to was a pretty decent size and it was PACKED. I really do wonder what the appeal of Ash Wednesday is to Christmas/Easter Catholics. It's really weird. Masses for Ash Wednesday are always packed, but Holy Days of Obligation during the week never are. The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that?
Nihil Obstat Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 Catholics like sacramentals. To some extent, in some places, you see that on St. Blaise's feast as well. Palm Sunday, Candlemas, similar ideas, depending on circumstances.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now