An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

next we will ask "ex-gays" what being gay is like. um, no.

You're far to smart to really think that's a valid retort.  What experiential range am I missing that precludes me from understanding the 'Catholic experience?'  I was a conservative Catholic for the majority of my life.  Please explain exactly what about the Catholic experience radically changed three years ago.  

It is somewhat ironic that your seemingly one and only retort is to charge people with being tedious.  

I've used "tedious" less this week than you've used "jim crow"... a LOT less... :bananarap:

I've used "tedious" less this week than you've used "jim crow"... a LOT less... :bananarap:

Ok

That's a silly retort since, as you know perfectly well, I was an extremely observant Catholic into adulthood.

It's not how you start, bro, it's how you finish.  The race isn't over yet, either.

Lilllabettt

You're far to smart to really think that's a valid retort.  What experiential range am I missing that precludes me from understanding the 'Catholic experience?'  I was a conservative Catholic for the majority of my life.  Please explain exactly what about the Catholic experience radically changed three years ago.  

Come on. What has changed is you have changed. You're looking in the wrong end of the telescope - back at the experience instead of through it. Completely different perspective.

And this is beside the point, but being a religious conservative at a southern state school is slightly different than being a religious conservative at an elitist new england institution. slightly.

Oh come on.  Sure it's not the exact same.  But you can still have all kinds of similar feelings of intimidation and stigmatization. Legal battles aren't the only important ones, ya know. 

You've hit the nail on the head. 

Groups that feel ostracized in any way because of variances in cultural norms now go to law. As if the law controls the culture rather than being an expression OF the culture. 

Which is why we have so many judges overturning so many plebiscites in so many state where the people defined marriage as between one man and one woman - the way it has been (culturally) in this country since its very foundation. 

The law - specifically laws to define new rights - is the only thing that matters, to certain groups of people. 

Certain groups are also inherently unable to let any given thread be about the given thread - they have to turn all topics to focus on THEM!!!!

... not like the title of the thread was already a reference to another topic or anything... :whistle:

Anastasia13

Certain groups are also inherently unable to let any given thread be about the given thread - they have to turn all topics to focus on THEM!!!!

I thought Hasan was straight?

Ok, except for that Arabian prince scandal, but we all know the Washington Post lies.

... not like the title of the thread was already a reference to another topic or anything... :whistle:

Al is snarky?  Lent has truly come...

blazeingstar

Come on. What has changed is you have changed. You're looking in the wrong end of the telescope - back at the experience instead of through it. Completely different perspective.

And this is beside the point, but being a religious conservative at a southern state school is slightly different than being a religious conservative at an elitist new england institution. slightly.

Totally,  the South, while hostile to Catholics in some degree is open to christianity.  In New England, in general, Catholics are very much seen as from the devil.   When a co-worker found out that I invited a priest over for dinner and my friend and her 6yo girl, they told me that I should expect her to be abused and that I had better keep a close watch on her.  Many priests don't wear their collars in public for fear of being physically accosted....protestants are a bit more tolerated.  You have to remember also that the abuse scandal broke in New England, and their is still a phenomenal amount of agression towards the church.  Then you also mix in the immagration issues and the fact that most of the most-hated immigrants, Hispanic, identify primarily with the Catholic church, it gets messy.

Not for nothing Hassan, but college is not the same as "real" life.  In college students experiment with many behaviors and so may in general face criticism, but it's nothing like the professional world.  Quite frankly, you jumped ship, so you really don't "understand" what it's like.

IgnatiusofLoyola

some reactions from today:

"I don't understand you." (not angry, kind of laughing, incredulous)

"You actually do the whole thing. like you don't support gay people." (angry)

"so no sex?" (incredulous)

"That's interesting." (actually interested)

"its okay. we're all growing, we're all in different places." (condescending tone)

I also got a hug from a fellow secret Catholic.

ethics professor was supportive, although advised not being open about it. He said that in his opinion Cambridge is among the least tolerant places on earth, drew a comparison to Pyongyan ( he is a secularist himself, but appreciates dissent). Oh, and its possible to be opposed to abortion rights for moral reasons but its not possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.:headdesk:

so ... no nuclear war, although things with my boss are awkward now. oh well.

Thanks for posting this. I'm behind on catching up with this thread. I was genuinely interested to hear what kinds of responses you got.

Sorry to hear that things are awkward with your boss.

Not for nothing Hassan, but college is not the same as "real" life.  In college students experiment with many behaviors and so may in general face criticism, but it's nothing like the professional world.  Quite frankly, you jumped ship, so you really don't "understand" what it's like.

I was also Catholic while I held a job during college and off campus while going to a strongly liberal-leaning school.  This is just obnoxious at this point.  Nobody has given any substantive response except that I somehow don't understand what it's like to be Catholic because the decades that I spent as a member of the Church don't count and apparently the experience of being Catholic had radically transformed in the last few years.  

And FYI, while the South is welcoming of Christianity, large swaths of the population do not consider Catholics to Christians.  This is why, for example, my Youth Minister was not allowed on our areas council for youth religious leads.  The grounds were that the council was for Christians, not pagans.  

I'm not denying that, at times, conservative Catholics do face mild alienation from segments of the population.  That is certainly true.  What I find obnoxious is the attempt to draw a strong analogue between this mild alienation and the homophobia and legal discrimination that many gay people face today. 

Edited by Hasan