An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

HisChildForever

The northeast is such a cultural hub, at least where I am, that you really don't think twice when you see a person who looks different from you. It's basic decency to treat people kindly and with respect, whether it's a nun you bumped into on the street or a man dressed in drag asking you for directions. No one really cares how you dress or what you look like. That's my experience anyway.

The northeast is such a cultural hub, at least where I am, that you really don't think twice when you see a person who looks different from you. It's basic decency to treat people kindly and with respect, whether it's a nun you bumped into on the street or a man dressed in drag asking you for directions. No one really cares how you dress or what you look like. That's my experience anyway.

How does this ^^^

Where are you initially from, Lilla? The northeast is a generally aggressive place. I've heard that the Boston area is particularly nasty. You have to bite back. I assume they know you're from a different part of the country? They think they can bully you, easily. Show them the opposite is true and they'll back off.

Jive with this? ^^^

People are assholes but treat you with kindness and respect. 

As others have said, playing the game of who has it worst isn't healthy.

Regardless of the intent of the speaker, "You'll live" comes off as minimizing the suffering of another. It sounds like you're saying, "You're not suffering. You have absolutely nothing to complain about."

I agree, and I'm rather shocked and disedified by a lot of the comments here.

You know, there was a blog about a wife fighting cancer. And the husband wrote about how often people came to him, saying, "Oh I shouldn't complain about anything, because you guys have it so much worse," and the guy was like, that's ridiculous. Your pain is your pain no matter what anyone else is enduring. It hurts you, and it's difficult for you, and that means you need--and deserve--my compassion and help, and I am here to give it to you...this guy, whose wife is dying of cancer. He gets it. So don't minimize other people's suffering, because it doesn't matter that other people "have it worse". EVERYONE could find a situation in which someone else "has it worse." The point is that for whatever issue it is, they are suffering, and they need our support. And we as human beings--and particularly as Catholic Christians--owe them our support and prayers. PERIOD. Don't compare their suffering to anyone else's. That's inappropriate, rude, and inhuman. And if you're a Christian, it's even worse.

Basilisa Marie

Lillla, is there a policy that prevents discrimination or retaliation based on religion?  Have you read up on it lately, just in case? 

(I just had to do a bunch of harassment training for work, so it's fresh on my mind)

Well, sadly, some people can't understand the difference between somebody not mild disapproval of a lifestyle choice (like practicing a religion) and substantive legal discrimination.  

Again, to the resident whiners, I would ask how in how many states is it legal for your employer to fire you for being Catholic?  

As for you whiner...

It isn't legal for anyone to fire in any state because they are catholic, but neither do Catholics get any general protection from being fired.

It is legal in some states to fire some people because they are gay. 

At the same time, there are plenty of states and companies (at least the entire fortune 100) where you cannot fire gays because they are gay and - in addition - gays are a protected minority which get special protection over and above Catholics. 

My point is that you have to take a very narrow view of the situation to arrive at your conclusion that gays are legally oppressed - especially while gays are suing to put Christians in jail for not wanting to work their weddings.  It's just not intellectually honest.

Of course, you've ignored all my posts regarding this subject on multiple threads, while repeating your claims ad nauseam.   This is why you are t-e-d-i-o-u-s and boring in this respect. 

tinytherese

Lillla, is there a policy that prevents discrimination or retaliation based on religion?  Have you read up on it lately, just in case? 

(I just had to do a bunch of harassment training for work, so it's fresh on my mind)

Sadly, reporting harassment and bullying in the work place usually makes the situation worse. Bosses and human relations regard anyone who reports such behavior as trouble makers. http://www.workplacebullying.org/faq/#10

Basilisa Marie

Sadly, reporting harassment and bullying in the work place usually makes the situation worse. Bosses and human relations regard anyone who reports such behavior as trouble makers. http://www.workplacebullying.org/faq/#10

Ugh, yeah, I figured as much. Is there a non-retaliation policy? I'm figuring that at least then you'd be protected in case something big happened. 

blazeingstar

Unfortunately this is true. At least where I work.

Ditto.  We had a theme song day when we listened to our co-workers favorite songs.  Many of them were offensively sexual...like Katie Perry's "Peacock" and Britney Spears radio banned "If you see Amy"  as well as others I've tried to purge from my mind.  There was a rap song that sounded like sex, too...ICK!

When I said politely I'd had enough I was called a buzzkill and told that I had to act like an adult in the workplace and accept others had different views than me.    I didn't go to HR because my highest supervisor is a lot less liberal than the ladies in HR anyway.

OnlySunshine

Unfortunately this is true. At least where I work.

That was true when I reported harassment when I worked at Target.  I kept telling the other employee to leave me alone and he wouldn't.  He was much younger than me, too.  I finally took the issue to HR and the manager acted like I was being facetious and overly sensitive.  It was hindering my work which was a major problem.  I got her to take me seriously when she looked at the surveillance tapes and realized I wasn't lying...

I agree, and I'm rather shocked and disedified by a lot of the comments here.

You know, there was a blog about a wife fighting cancer. And the husband wrote about how often people came to him, saying, "Oh I shouldn't complain about anything, because you guys have it so much worse," and the guy was like, that's ridiculous. Your pain is your pain no matter what anyone else is enduring. It hurts you, and it's difficult for you, and that means you need--and deserve--my compassion and help, and I am here to give it to you...this guy, whose wife is dying of cancer. He gets it. So don't minimize other people's suffering, because it doesn't matter that other people "have it worse". EVERYONE could find a situation in which someone else "has it worse." The point is that for whatever issue it is, they are suffering, and they need our support. And we as human beings--and particularly as Catholic Christians--owe them our support and prayers. PERIOD. Don't compare their suffering to anyone else's. That's inappropriate, rude, and inhuman. And if you're a Christian, it's even worse.

I am 100% with you, Cherie,nonetheless I have to say that I've found Lillabet's attitude the first one to do the comparison with other sufferings. I absolutely do not think beatitude wanted to minimize her difficulties -if only she had chosen another tone and another way surely this wouldn't be happened. Maybe I miss something but really this is the way I see it. (btw:that post about bigotry,Lillabet,was referred to me?)

next we will ask "ex-gays" what being gay is like. um, no.

Was this ironic,sarcastic or what?

Was this ironic,sarcastic or what?

How about weird?  At least I find it weird to imply that somebody who was gay doesn't understand what it's like to be gay. 

PhuturePriest

How about weird?  At least I find it weird to imply that somebody who was gay doesn't understand what it's like to be gay. 

My impression of what it's like to be gay is that you regularly find people of the same sex sexually attractive.

Lilllabettt

Micro aggression of the day

Moderated debate concerning the role of teachers in character and "values" education:

Student 1: I'm against it, because who  decides what values are taught? I had a teacher who was homophobic, taught us hatred and violence towards gay people.

Student 2: But teachers aren't allowed to teach those values in school.

Student 3: But what about context. If it was a catholic school, that teacher wouldn't be out of line with their values.

discussion continued, touching on the notion that Mormons do not let women become artists, or something.