An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

blazeingstar

True, though a lot of the times the micro-aggressions can do plenty of damage, and there's no legal recourse for them. It's something social justice types like to talk about, how people will flaunt their prejudices without even realizing that they're being hurtful. Buzzfeed had a list of microaggressions based on race that people hear a lot - (be forewarned there is some cursing in the link) http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/racial-microagressions-you-hear-on-a-daily-basis

One of the reasons I "loved" working around people who were different, they always had these things about me being from privliage, or my daddy paying for things, or being a princess....all of which are utterly not true.

Also the adoption things.  URGGGG  I want to punch them all in the face. 

"You're lucky your mom picked one who looked like her"

"Do you know you could of been aborted" (which is NOT true because my parents "wanted" me, they just couldn't parent and thus I was removed)

"Don't you want to go back to your real parents" (uhh my parents are real)

"Did you ever crush on your brothers since they're not really related to you." (EWWW, EWW and more EWWW!)

Speaking to my mom in front of me "Oh she must have those psychological problems.  You better lock your bedroom door or she'll kill you in your sleep"

Any good faith report will not be punished, and if it is, they will find themselves in deep murky legal waters.

Unfortunately, that isn't the way things work.  I was told not to be so up tight because I didn't want to listen to Katy Perry's Peacock song among other sexually perverse songs, which has NOTHING to do with my job, nor do we listen to music.  The team bonding often turns into "embarrass the conservatives" while I'm one of the younger ones, the agism is also extraordinary.  I've been told that complaining would get me fired for insubordination and the HR would be more than happy to agree.  Unfortunately, the HR ladies are even more liberal and hating of conservatives than most of the others in my office.  I would be buried.  Even if got myself fired and a lawyer took the case, I doubt I'd ever be able to do more than flip burgers for the rest of my life as 99% of the companies around are liberal, too.

One of the reasons I "loved" working around people who were different, they always had these things about me being from privliage, or my daddy paying for things, or being a princess....all of which are utterly not true.

Also the adoption things. URGGGG I want to punch them all in the face.

"You're lucky your mom picked one who looked like her"
"Do you know you could of been aborted" (which is NOT true because my parents "wanted" me, they just couldn't parent and thus I was removed)
"Don't you want to go back to your real parents" (uhh my parents are real)
"Did you ever crush on your brothers since they're not really related to you." (EWWW, EWW and more EWWW!)
Speaking to my mom in front of me "Oh she must have those psychological problems. You better lock your bedroom door or she'll kill you in your sleep"

Unfortunately, that isn't the way things work. I was told not to be so up tight because I didn't want to listen to Katy Perry's Peacock song among other sexually perverse songs, which has NOTHING to do with my job, nor do we listen to music. The team bonding often turns into "embarrass the conservatives" while I'm one of the younger ones, the agism is also extraordinary. I've been told that complaining would get me fired for insubordination and the HR would be more than happy to agree. Unfortunately, the HR ladies are even more liberal and hating of conservatives than most of the others in my office. I would be buried. Even if got myself fired and a lawyer took the case, I doubt I'd ever be able to do more than flip burgers for the rest of my life as 99% of the companies around are liberal, too.

That's so sad Blaze! But those horrible things about adoption have nothing to do with conservative/liberal ideas...are you sure you really couldn't do anything? How can persons be so mean!!

blazeingstar

That's so sad Blaze! But those horrible things about adoption have nothing to do with conservative/liberal ideas...are you sure you really couldn't do anything? How can persons be so mean!!

Well the adoption things are a separate issue.  People ARE mean, and that's part of my point.  I sometimes feel it'd be EASIER to be GLBT than adopted from foster care.  Many adoption people don't even "accept" me becuase it wasn't an infant adoption and therefore I "don't understand".  In addition becuase I found a nice home, most foster care adults say that "don't understand" either.  It's a no-win situation.

People say vicious, hurtful things.  These days, the GLBT community has a strong support network, both legally and socially in my modern workplace.  On the other hand when you ask for anything that could be seen as modest, it's often berated.

• 2 weeks later...

Faithful Catholic religious observance is not something that is accepted in my living, working and learning circles. I spend time with other Catholics at church, but I don't know any openly practicing Catholics among my neighbors, classmates and coworkers in "real" life. Some have gotten very hostile at the mention of the idea. Others have merely laughed and ridiculed. When these people find out that an observant catholic has been among them the whole time I am guessing they may be some mixture of surprised, embarrassed or pissed off.  I do know of a couple people I expect will be supportive, because that is just their personality.

I wanted to share some recent examples of the type of social persecution and exclusion that Catholics face from the secularists that Lilllabet mentioned. 

First we have two major-city mayors and three major beer companies boycotting the St Patricks Day Parade because parade organizers would not allow LGBT groups to carry LGBT signs during the parade for fear of politicizing the event:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/de-blasio-boycotts-st-patrick-day-parade-gay-pride-article-1.1602586

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/17/guinness-pulls-sponsorship-new-york-st-patrick-day-parade/

It seems like a fair, completely reasonable standard that all marchers are held to, especially since Gay pride parades have similar rules at their events.   Nonetheless the mayors and businesses feel the need to exert political and economic pressure on the parade organizers for refusing to make exceptions to their policies for the LGBT community.

Next we have a teenage pro-life demonstrator in a campus "free-speech zone" attacked by a feminist women's studies professor:

SANTA BARBARA – A department of feminist studies professor has been accused of going berserk after coming across a campus prolife demonstration that used extremely graphic displays, leading a small mob of students to chant “tear down the sign” before grabbing one of the signs, storming off with it, then allegedly engaging in an altercation with a 16-year-old prolife protestor who had followed the educator to retrieve it.

And now the police report has been published:

The UC Santa Barbara Police Department has released its official report on the confrontation between Professor Mireille Miller-Young and a group of anti-abortion activists during which Miller-Young stole one of the activists’ signs, tussled with a teen girl trying to get it back, and then destroyed the sign with the help of her students.

In the report, Miller-Young, who is pregnant, said she was “triggered” by the graphic images of aborted fetuses on the large posters and said she felt the demonstrators didn’t have a right to be on the university’s campus, because their messages were upsetting to her and students. When asked by police if there had been a struggle between her and the activists when she took the poster, Miller-Young responded, “I’m stronger, so I was able to take the poster.”

Maybe it's only a minority of us that have to deal with this sort of pressure and hostility for our beliefs, but these stories show that our experiences are not isolated.  I hope it does not get worse, but I fear it will.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to share some recent examples of the type of social persecution and exclusion that Catholics face from the secularists that Lilllabet mentioned. 

Here's another example of a Christian being judged, intimidated, and bullied for his beliefs... 

The Co-founder of Mozilla who was recently promoted to CEO had to resign due to the intense backlash over the $1000 he donated to support Prop 8 in California (which incidentally won at the ballot box by 4.5%):

http://recode.net/2014/04/03/mozilla-co-founder-brendan-eich-resigns-as-ceo-and-also-from-foundation-board/

Brendan Eich, the well-known techie who has gotten swept up in a controversy about his support of California’s anti-gay marriage law Proposition 8, is resigning as CEO of for-profit Mozilla Corporation and also from the board of the nonprofit foundation which wholly owns it.

Mozilla confirmed the change in a blog post.

“Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn’t live up to it. We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it’s because we haven’t stayed true to ourselves,” read the post, in part. “We didn’t act like you’d expect Mozilla to act. We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We’re sorry. We must do better.”

In several interviews this week, Eich had insisted that he would not step down from the job he was only recently appointed to, due to the intense backlash over a $1,000 donation he made in 2008 in support of the ballot measure to ban gay marriage.

This is the world we live in, where holding a political position held by every president up until Obama (yes, Bill Clinton signed the DOMA in 1996) and exercising your right to free speech can now get you fired for not being "inclusive" - all in the name of... wait for it... tolerance.