An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

HisChildForever

How does this ^^^

Jive with this? ^^^

People are arse portals but treat you with kindness and respect. 

Because aggressive doesn't mean prejudiced. And aggressiveness doesn't make you a jerk either. Maybe I meant to say assertive, with some people taking it to the extreme and becoming overtly forceful and overbearing. I also noted that her part of the northeast has the reputation of being nasty. I really haven't seen that in my area. In any event, it's not surprising that people would fall into a clique and ostracize an "outsider." 

Edited by HisChildForever

Fidei Defensor

My impression of what it's like to be gay is that you regularly find people of the same sex sexually attractive.

"Regularly" only as much as you anyone may someone sexually attractive. I am no more inherently sexual because of my orientation.

PhuturePriest

"Regularly" only as much as you anyone may someone sexually attractive. I am no more inherently sexual because of my orientation.

I don't mean "regularly" as in you want to jump every guy you look at, but "regularly" as in you exclusively find guys attractive. It could have been worded better, but life goes on.

Micro aggression of the day

Moderated debate concerning the role of teachers in character and "values" education:

Student 1: I'm against it, because who decides what values are taught? I had a teacher who was homophobic, taught us hatred and violence towards gay people.
Student 2: But teachers aren't allowed to teach those values in school.
Student 3: But what about context. If it was a catholic school, that teacher wouldn't be out of line with their values.

Lillabettt I understand your pain and your feelings,really. It happened to me many
times too in school,like when for example, I was asked to help with the Christmas feast but of course I couldn't teach Christian songs! What I can't understand very well tough is why you use this tone in your posts regarding gay people that seems the one I was describing in the other thread when I said that for example I can't understand those gay who are racist and similar. Don't you think that using another tone sometimes could help? Well,it seems to me that you don't like answer my questions and of course you are not forced to do it,but,well,it's just a curiosity.

How about weird? At least I find it weird to imply that somebody who was gay doesn't understand what it's like to be gay.

I'm pretty sure it was sarcastic since "ex-gays" tend to be either homosexuals who have a lot of self-loathing and lack of self-understanding, or people who were never gay at all (having sex with the same sex a few times or a lot, doesn't make you gay after all). So asking these people about what it's like to be homosexual will not get you the most useful answers to put it mildly.

I know that Lillla has been trying to work up the courage to do this for a long time. If you are a quiet, nonconfrontational personality it is SCARY to expose yourself like this. In this environment people aren't nice. Or polite. Or live and let live. They're going to make you pay if you deviate from The Script, every day, in conversations, projects, career and academic paths etc.

And complaining about it doesn't work because these people don't view themselves as intolerant. Hilarious but true, they are self-unaware to the point that others have to hide who they are. And they do it in small ways. You can't call in the dean etc for people mocking you in class or excluding you from important projects "for no particular reason" wink wink.

I told Lillla not to do this because it's one year out of her life... I'm bad. But some of the reactions on the thread are exactly why I suggested she not do it.

I know that Lillla has been trying to work up the courage to do this for a long time. If you are a quiet, nonconfrontational personality it is SCARY to expose yourself like this. In this environment people aren't nice. Or polite. Or live and let live. They're going to make you pay if you deviate from The Script, every day, in conversations, projects, career and academic paths etc.

And complaining about it doesn't work because these people don't view themselves as intolerant. Hilarious but true, they are self-unaware to the point that others have to hide who they are. And they do it in small ways. You can't call in the dean etc for people mocking you in class or excluding you from important projects "for no particular reason" wink wink.

I told Lillla not to do this because it's one year out of her life... I'm bad. But some of the reactions on the thread are exactly why I suggested she not do it.

Yeah.  Sorry for being a shit head.  

Well, sadly, some people can't understand the difference between somebody not mild disapproval of a lifestyle choice (like practicing a religion) and substantive legal discrimination.  

Again, to the resident whiners, I would ask how in how many states is it legal for your employer to fire you for being Catholic?  

Homosexuality isn't legally defensible grounds for dismissal.

If I were gay and my employer fired me for that, they'll see my butt in court and I'll hit pay day.

edit: filter doesn't work for the expletive of butt, so i self edited.

Edited by Slappo

It is legal in some states to fire some people because they are gay. 

What states?

Alaska has no anti-discrimination laws for homosexuals, but we can't fire someone because they are gay. We can choose not to hire them in the first place on those grounds, but we can't fire them. There has to be a cause for punitive dismissal.

Sadly, reporting harassment and bullying in the work place usually makes the situation worse. Bosses and human relations regard anyone who reports such behavior as trouble makers. http://www.workplacebullying.org/faq/#10

Any action taken by a boss or HR because of your report of harassment or bullying is considered retaliation and is illegal. Even if the action taken isn't because of the report, if it is at all seen in that light then it is considered retaliation.

Surely I can understand. I've experienced myself this kind of things,on coworkers too. It's an awful world,indeed,where the evil seems to prevail. Prayers is for all people who are discriminated based on their beliefs,their skin, their sexual orientation, their race etc. What is the most difficult thing? To be gay where gay people are discriminated, catholics where catholics are discriminated and so on. But I hope we all catholics can feel always united.

Any good faith report will not be punished, and if it is, they will find themselves in deep murky legal waters. 

Basilisa Marie

Any good faith report will not be punished, and if it is, they will find themselves in deep murky legal waters. 

True, though a lot of the times the micro-aggressions can do plenty of damage, and there's no legal recourse for them. It's something social justice types like to talk about, how people will flaunt their prejudices without even realizing that they're being hurtful. Buzzfeed had a list of microaggressions based on race that people hear a lot - (be forewarned there is some cursing in the link) http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/racial-microagressions-you-hear-on-a-daily-basis

tinytherese

Also, there are many employers who won't hire someone who took an employer or co-worker to court.