An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

Actually, I'm an apostate. 

Are apostate, infidel, heretic, and pagan mutually exclusive?

Basilisa Marie

some reactions from today:

"I don't understand you." (not angry, kind of laughing, incredulous)

"You actually do the whole thing. like you don't support gay people." (angry)

"so no sex?" (incredulous)

"That's interesting." (actually interested)

"its okay. we're all growing, we're all in different places." (condescending tone)

I also got a hug from a fellow secret Catholic.

ethics professor was supportive, although advised not being open about it. He said that in his opinion Cambridge is among the least tolerant places on earth, drew a comparison to Pyongyan ( he is a secularist himself, but appreciates dissent). Oh, and its possible to be opposed to abortion rights for moral reasons but its not possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.:headdesk:

so ... no nuclear war, although things with my boss are awkward now. oh well.

Yay!  I always enjoy how the second reaction I always get is "wait, no sex???" I get too much joy from the incredulous looks. :) 

some reactions from today:

"I don't understand you." (not angry, kind of laughing, incredulous)

"You actually do the whole thing. like you don't support gay people." (angry)

"so no sex?" (incredulous)

"That's interesting." (actually interested)

"its okay. we're all growing, we're all in different places." (condescending tone)

I also got a hug from a fellow secret Catholic.

ethics professor was supportive, although advised not being open about it. He said that in his opinion Cambridge is among the least tolerant places on earth, drew a comparison to Pyongyan ( he is a secularist himself, but appreciates dissent). Oh, and its possible to be opposed to abortion rights for moral reasons but its not possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.:headdesk:

so ... no nuclear war, although things with my boss are awkward now. oh well.

It's perfectly possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.  It's just not possible to be opposed to them for any respectable moral reasons.  I understand that Catholic argument against gay rights.  It's just not anything that ought to be respected.  That's why I left the faith.  I'm not going to fight to limit somebody else's rights for reasons that I know deep down are farcical.  

"I have a marginally non-mainstream lifestyle that I advertise on my face and people ask me questions about this and are sometimes awkward about it, oh, and some of them think that me using those unsupported claims to make the law discriminate against people who I do not know and have never wronged me is a shitty thing to do"

The new Jim Crow.  

"I have a marginally non-mainstream lifestyle that I advertise on my face and people ask me questions about this and are sometimes awkward about it, oh, and some of them think that me using those unsupported claims to make the law discriminate against people who I do not know and have never wronged me is a shiitake mushroom thing to do"

The new Jim Crow.  

"...and I'm so angry I want to impose my beliefs on everyone and insult whoever defies me, because equality."

"...and I'm so angry I want to impose my beliefs on everyone and insult whoever defies me, because equality."

I'm not angry.  But I will respond forcefully when somebody whose opinion I hold in extremely high esteem says something that I think is totally off the mark and ill motivated.  

I don't care if you think gay people are awful.  I don't care if you put on a burlap sack wave a Bible and scream that all the homos are going to burn.  Your opinions are your own.  I do, however, find it repulsive when people act like their decision to fight to limit the rights of others based on ill founded assumptions is just a benign difference op opinion.  Have whatever awful opinions you want.  Just stop trying to back them up with the force of law.  

Lilllabettt

"I have a marginally non-mainstream lifestyle that I advertise on my face and people ask me questions about this and are sometimes awkward about it, oh, and some of them think that me using those unsupported claims to make the law discriminate against people who I do not know and have never wronged me is a shiitake mushroom thing to do"

The new Jim Crow.  

listen non-catholic boy.
catholics  love having non-catholics comment on what the catholic experience is like.

your opinion on it totally has value. (this is sarcasm. insert sarcasm smile)

black people are also breathlessly awaiting your input.

also women.

and dwarfs.

Edited by Lilllabettt

listen non-catholic boy.
catholics  love having non-catholics comment on what the catholic experience is like.

your opinion on it totally has value. (this is sarcasm. insert sarcasm smile)

black people are also breathlessly awaiting your input.

also women.

and dwarfs.

That's a silly retort since, as you know perfectly well, I was an extremely observant Catholic into adulthood.  I've been a devout Catholic at a secular University and the rural American South.  So I know perfectly well what the 'Catholic experience' is like.  Which is also why I understand that you are playing for effect.  Does being a vocal and observant Catholic sometimes lead to some uncomfortable conversations?  Sure.  Not really a huge deal.  

Hasan, you aren't getting tedious at all.  Keep posting.  It's great. :punk:

It is somewhat ironic that your seemingly one and only retort is to charge people with being tedious.