An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

I get it.  Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated.

Really makes you think.  

I wonder  in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay.

HMMMMMMMMMM

Yes that's exactly right.

:|

I wonder  in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay.

HMMMMMMMMMM

I wonder how many states and how many companies there are where Catholics are a protected minority (sometimes with an explicit hiring quota) like gays are?

HMMMMMMMMMM  

Really makes you think

HisChildForever

The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that?

So strange!! But--if they think Ash Wednesday is a HDO then why aren't they going every Sunday lol.

Golden Years

There are MANY lapsed Catholics who no longer receive holy communion or attend Sunday Mass.  I think some people go on Ash Wednesday because it's the one day they can go up and "receive" without being in a state of grace.

Basilisa Marie

I get it.  Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated.

Really makes you think.  

HMMMMMMMMMM

Oh come on.  Sure it's not the exact same.  But you can still have all kinds of similar feelings of intimidation and stigmatization. Legal battles aren't the only important ones, ya know. 

Basilisa Marie

Bah multi-post.  

Good luck today! :)  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Really makes you think.  

HMMMMMMMMMM

Being Catholic is more important than being gay. Catholic is eternal. Gay is earthly.

Anastasia13

I'll be proudly wearing my red letter 'A' tomorrow. A for Atheist.

Hey, so will I (letter A), but I have a feeling it will be a different meaning in a different context.

Lilllabettt

some reactions from today:

"I don't understand you." (not angry, kind of laughing, incredulous)

"You actually do the whole thing. like you don't support gay people." (angry)

"so no sex?" (incredulous)

"That's interesting." (actually interested)

"its okay. we're all growing, we're all in different places." (condescending tone)

I also got a hug from a fellow secret Catholic.

ethics professor was supportive, although advised not being open about it. He said that in his opinion Cambridge is among the least tolerant places on earth, drew a comparison to Pyongyan ( he is a secularist himself, but appreciates dissent). Oh, and its possible to be opposed to abortion rights for moral reasons but its not possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.:headdesk:

so ... no nuclear war, although things with my boss are awkward now. oh well.

Oh, and its possible to be opposed to abortion rights for moral reasons but its not possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.:headdesk:

Honestly I can even get the point.

Lilllabettt

the definition of bigotry is to fail to see the possibility of another point of view.

OnlySunshine

This is the first time in 2-3 years I haven't been to Ash Wednesday Mass.  I am an EMHC so, for the past 2 years, I've been helping distribute both ashes and Communion.  Last year, the ashes were so thick that it took forever to get them off my fingers until I used Purell and then soap and water.

This year, I have school the morning after and I'm going 4 days a week so I'm using up gas like crazy.  Since it's not a H.D.O., I decided to miss it this year and read my Magnificat and Lent Reflection book at home.  :)

He said that in his opinion Cambridge is among the least tolerant places on earth, drew a comparison to Pyongyan

Berkeley is the same way.  Even liberals in SF don't like the Berkeley crowd, in their words too "dark" and "brooding".

Being Catholic is more important than being gay. Catholic is eternal. Gay is earthly.

Both are earthly.