An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Coming Out

Lilllabettt

HisChildForever

I'm going for the first time in three years. I used to go every year, but the past two I just haven't been able to make it.

Yeah I haven't gone in 2 or 3 years for various reasons. I recall the last Ash Wednesday Mass I attended was at noon, the church I went to was a pretty decent size and it was PACKED.

I really do wonder what the appeal of Ash Wednesday is to Christmas/Easter Catholics. 

I recall the last Ash Wednesday Mass I attended was at noon, the church I went to was a pretty decent size and it was PACKED.

I really do wonder what the appeal of Ash Wednesday is to Christmas/Easter Catholics. 

Yes.  Packed.  Same experience here.  Good question.  :think:

I went through that last year.  I was so sure I would catch a lot of flak about it at the office but surprisingly no one seemed to care (or else they just didn't notice).  My coworkers are way too self-centered to pay much attention to what I do LOL.  Have a blessed Lent everyone!

One coworker gave me the "you have dirt on your forehead" two years in a row!

Yes.  Packed.  Same experience here.  Good question.  :think:

At St. Peter's in downtown Chicago, they have ash distribution all day.  It's like an assembly line of people getting ashes there. 

PhuturePriest

Yeah I haven't gone in 2 or 3 years for various reasons. I recall the last Ash Wednesday Mass I attended was at noon, the church I went to was a pretty decent size and it was PACKED.

It's really weird. Masses for Ash Wednesday are always packed, but Holy Days of Obligation during the week never are. The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that?

Nihil Obstat

Catholics like sacramentals. To some extent, in some places, you see that on St. Blaise's feast as well. Palm Sunday, Candlemas, similar ideas, depending on circumstances.

Catholics like sacramentals. To some extent, in some places, you see that on St. Blaise's feast as well. Palm Sunday, Candlemas, similar ideas, depending on circumstances.

Maybe it's a way of saying "Look at me!  I'm Catholic!" 

But seriously, I think "cultures" take pride in their "holidays", and for many, "Catholic" is a cultural thing more than a faith thing. 

Edited by Norseman82

blazeingstar

It's really weird. Masses for Ash Wednesday are always packed, but Holy Days of Obligation during the week never are. The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that?

I don't think so.  I once had a very pious friend chide me for not attending Ash Wednesay.  I struggle with Lent for various physical and emotional reasons so I just don't go.  She really thought it was a holy day of obligation....

...I think many people do.

Anastasia13

I'm not able to go tomorrow. I have bangs so you wouldn't be able to see the ashes anyway.

Same here, but I hope make it to a Lenten church service on Friday.

Anastasia13

I don't think so.  I once had a very pious friend chide me for not attending Ash Wednesay.  I struggle with Lent for various physical and emotional reasons so I just don't go.  She really thought it was a holy day of obligation....

...I think many people do.

What are days of holy obligation regarding Lent and Easter for Romans?

Anastasia13

Maybe it's a way of saying "Look at me!  I'm Catholic!" 

But seriously, I think "cultures" take pride in their "holidays", and for many, "Catholic" is a cultural thing more than a faith thing. 

Tru dat.

I get it.  Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated.

Really makes you think.  

I wonder  in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay.

HMMMMMMMMMM

What are days of holy obligation regarding Lent and Easter for Romans?

None, just the Sundays - I think...  Though there are special masses and liturgical activities beginning Wednesday of holy week.  What there aren't are the pre-sanctified liturgies we have in the Eastern rite on Fridays (though not all Eastern parishes celebrate these.)

Yes, that just occured to me.  Packed, yet not a holy day of Obligation.  Odd.

Anastasia13

I get it.  Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated.

Really makes you think.  

I wonder  in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay.

HMMMMMMMMMM

I think she meant it more like this is awkward than a this is dangerous, combined with an attempt at humor in her title.

From what a Jew told me, Greece might fire her for not being Eastern Orthodox.

blazeingstar

Really makes you think.  

HMMMMMMMMMM

I don't know.  If all the ladies at my old workplace refused to sit with me, talk with me or work with me, after they found out I had a "hip" problem (like homosexuality, etc) then I could sue.  When they found out I was a conservative Catholic there was no recourse for their actions.

Food service is one thing.  Everyone needs food.

But I'm not going to sue a Moslem butcher for not selling me pork, or a Jewish deli for not putting cheese on my roast beef..even if I brought the cheese into the store.  At that rate, homosexual couples shouldn't sue a Catholic baker for not doing a wedding cake for them or a Christian florist for not doing flowers. 

If a Jew went to work in a southern BBQ and refused to touch any pork products, then he SHOULD be fired if they can't find a job for him.  He should of never been hired in the first place.

In my part of the country, atheism rules and Christans are tolerated.  Catholics are though of as 1) very old, 2) Hispanic or 3) insane nut balls.  I keep my mouth shut as I know a co-worker who was basically driven out because she was part of a local Christian church that protested Gay marriage and when co-workers found out they bombarded her desk with "anti-hate" and "safe zone" and would even give same gender kisses.  She had NEVER spoken a word about her beliefs at work, but was tortured for them.  I'm sure the judge would not even LOOK at that lawsuit, but if it was the other way around she'd be a millionare.