Norseman82 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 (edited) Catholics like sacramentals. To some extent, in some places, you see that on St. Blaise's feast as well. Palm Sunday, Candlemas, similar ideas, depending on circumstances. Maybe it's a way of saying "Look at me! I'm Catholic!" But seriously, I think "cultures" take pride in their "holidays", and for many, "Catholic" is a cultural thing more than a faith thing. Edited March 5, 2014 by Norseman82
blazeingstar Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 It's really weird. Masses for Ash Wednesday are always packed, but Holy Days of Obligation during the week never are. The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that? I don't think so. I once had a very pious friend chide me for not attending Ash Wednesay. I struggle with Lent for various physical and emotional reasons so I just don't go. She really thought it was a holy day of obligation.... ...I think many people do.
Anastasia13 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I'm not able to go tomorrow. I have bangs so you wouldn't be able to see the ashes anyway. Same here, but I hope make it to a Lenten church service on Friday.
Anastasia13 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I don't think so. I once had a very pious friend chide me for not attending Ash Wednesay. I struggle with Lent for various physical and emotional reasons so I just don't go. She really thought it was a holy day of obligation.... ...I think many people do. What are days of holy obligation regarding Lent and Easter for Romans?
Anastasia13 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 Maybe it's a way of saying "Look at me! I'm Catholic!" But seriously, I think "cultures" take pride in their "holidays", and for many, "Catholic" is a cultural thing more than a faith thing. Tru dat.
4588686 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I get it. Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated. Really makes you think. I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM
NotreDame Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 What are days of holy obligation regarding Lent and Easter for Romans? None, just the Sundays - I think... Though there are special masses and liturgical activities beginning Wednesday of holy week. What there aren't are the pre-sanctified liturgies we have in the Eastern rite on Fridays (though not all Eastern parishes celebrate these.) It's really weird. Masses for Ash Wednesday are always packed, but Holy Days of Obligation during the week never are. The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that? Yes, that just occured to me. Packed, yet not a holy day of Obligation. Odd.
Anastasia13 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I get it. Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated. Really makes you think. I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM I think she meant it more like this is awkward than a this is dangerous, combined with an attempt at humor in her title. From what a Jew told me, Greece might fire her for not being Eastern Orthodox.
blazeingstar Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I get it. Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated. Really makes you think. I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM I don't know. If all the ladies at my old workplace refused to sit with me, talk with me or work with me, after they found out I had a "hip" problem (like homosexuality, etc) then I could sue. When they found out I was a conservative Catholic there was no recourse for their actions. Food service is one thing. Everyone needs food. But I'm not going to sue a Moslem butcher for not selling me pork, or a Jewish deli for not putting cheese on my roast beef..even if I brought the cheese into the store. At that rate, homosexual couples shouldn't sue a Catholic baker for not doing a wedding cake for them or a Christian florist for not doing flowers. If a Jew went to work in a southern BBQ and refused to touch any pork products, then he SHOULD be fired if they can't find a job for him. He should of never been hired in the first place. In my part of the country, atheism rules and Christans are tolerated. Catholics are though of as 1) very old, 2) Hispanic or 3) insane nut balls. I keep my mouth shut as I know a co-worker who was basically driven out because she was part of a local Christian church that protested Gay marriage and when co-workers found out they bombarded her desk with "anti-hate" and "safe zone" and would even give same gender kisses. She had NEVER spoken a word about her beliefs at work, but was tortured for them. I'm sure the judge would not even LOOK at that lawsuit, but if it was the other way around she'd be a millionare.
Slappo Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I get it. Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated. Really makes you think. I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM Yes that's exactly right. :|
NotreDame Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM I wonder how many states and how many companies there are where Catholics are a protected minority (sometimes with an explicit hiring quota) like gays are? HMMMMMMMMMM Really makes you think
HisChildForever Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 The reason that's weird is Ash Wednesday is completely optional. I wonder if most Catholics know that? So strange!! But--if they think Ash Wednesday is a HDO then why aren't they going every Sunday lol.
Fidei Defensor Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I'll be proudly wearing my red letter 'A' tomorrow. A for Atheist.
Golden Years Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 There are MANY lapsed Catholics who no longer receive holy communion or attend Sunday Mass. I think some people go on Ash Wednesday because it's the one day they can go up and "receive" without being in a state of grace.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I get it. Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated. Really makes you think. I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM Oh come on. Sure it's not the exact same. But you can still have all kinds of similar feelings of intimidation and stigmatization. Legal battles aren't the only important ones, ya know.
Basilisa Marie Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 (edited) Bah multi-post. Good luck today! :) Edited March 5, 2014 by Basilisa Marie
dUSt Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I get it. Catholics are really the ones who have to be worried about being judged and bullied and intimidated. Really makes you think. I wonder in how many states can legally be fired or refused service for being Catholic versus how many you can legally be fired or refused service for being gay. HMMMMMMMMMM Being Catholic is more important than being gay. Catholic is eternal. Gay is earthly.
Anastasia13 Posted March 5, 2014 Posted March 5, 2014 I'll be proudly wearing my red letter 'A' tomorrow. A for Atheist. Hey, so will I (letter A), but I have a feeling it will be a different meaning in a different context.
Lilllabettt Posted March 5, 2014 Author Posted March 5, 2014 some reactions from today: "I don't understand you." (not angry, kind of laughing, incredulous) "You actually do the whole thing. like you don't support gay people." (angry) "so no sex?" (incredulous) "That's interesting." (actually interested) "its okay. we're all growing, we're all in different places." (condescending tone) I also got a hug from a fellow secret Catholic. ethics professor was supportive, although advised not being open about it. He said that in his opinion Cambridge is among the least tolerant places on earth, drew a comparison to Pyongyan ( he is a secularist himself, but appreciates dissent). Oh, and its possible to be opposed to abortion rights for moral reasons but its not possible to be opposed to gay rights for moral reasons.:headdesk: so ... no nuclear war, although things with my boss are awkward now. oh well.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now