An Old School Catholic Message Board

Everything Fssp And Icrss

AugustineA

I love my FSSP priests.  Their sermons are chock full of quotes from Saints and Scripture!  One blessed my 5-way medal with all the various blessings and told me it was now "locked and loaded".  :pray: :cool:  Their confession advice is also to the point and very helpful!  And the Holy Mass they offer is so very beautiful. 

I love all priests because they are the love of Christ present among us and for us, but I am particularly grateful for all the holy priests who became for me each an alter Christus and baptized me, gave me Jesus in Holy Communion, restored my fellowship with Jesus in the Sacrament of Penance, and most of all united themselves with Christ in crucifixion at Holy Mass, laying down their lives for silly wounded little sheep like me. 

Thanks be to God for the holy priests of the FSSP, the ICRSS, and all other holy priests, Christ's intimates, especially those beset with many cares and worries in their parishes.  May God receive their oblations with love and bless us all from the graces of the crosses they unfailingly offer.

FSSP%20Indiana.jpg

(Photo:  Fr. Gerard Saguto F.S.S.P., St. Cecilia's, Indiana 2005)

ChristinaTherese

Wait.... That photo credit is Fr. Saguto? He's one of the FSSP priests in my neck of the woods! (Or he was last time I was around there, at any rate. I'm not there often just because of distance and time of day on my bike. And weather.)

Wait.... That photo credit is Fr. Saguto? He's one of the FSSP priests in my neck of the woods! (Or he was last time I was around there, at any rate. I'm not there often just because of distance and time of day on my bike. And weather.)

I found it on the New Liturgical Movement website.  It was sent in by a parishoner when the FSSP got the personal parish.  :)  I would send photos from my own FSSP Mass except I'm paranoid about revealing my location online haha!

What do you mean by this? The FSSP, although not, runs like an order.  When you join their seminary, you join them (there are a couple of exceptions where traditional monks go to their seminary, but remain a part of their respective orders).  

I was under the impression the FSSP is an apostolical group, open to anyone who wanted to join, like Opus Dei, but for priests.  No? 

Most seminarians are diocesan (although there are a good many who are religious) meaning the seminarian goes where their Bishop or Superior wants them to go. I can not think of any Bishop who would send their diocesan seminarians to a FSSP seminary, not because of a lack of spirituality or legitimacy, but because the average Parish has more needs than just the EF liturgy which is what the FSSP do. As well a there are opportunities for a seminarian to learn the EF mass from other places if that is a desire of his. Does this answer your question?

As an aside I know a number of FSSP seminarians and their NE seminary's soccer team comes down to my seminary every fall to participate in our soccer tournament. The FSSP guys I've met are all good guys and they are a credit to the seminary world. 

-PPoP

So how does an applicant get off the diocesan track?  If otherwise it's the usual case that one must go where his his local bishop wants, is there a procedure to make requests to local bishop to get permission to attend seminary anywhere in the world? 

What is EF mass?

Eliakim, since you are such a strong defender of the faith, why don't you go and apply for seminary?

Seems the jury is still out on those two links I posted at top of "How entrenched is homosexuality in the seminaries" thread stating up to half of seminarians are gay.  Some say it's true but was in the 80's, others say it still exists in certain dioceses...a sort of wink to that subculture.  The fact that there appears to be this option makes me question if the hierarchy's hands are tied by a "lavendar mafia": https://www.newoxfordreview.org/covers-pdf/ead-lavender.pdf

I think this is why a lot of men don't apply. 

E

PhuturePriest

Seems the jury is still out on those two links I posted at top of "How entrenched is homosexuality in the seminaries" thread stating up to half of seminarians are gay.  Some say it's true but was in the 80's, others say it still exists in certain dioceses...a sort of wink to that subculture.  The fact that there appears to be this option makes me question if the hierarchy's hands are tied by a "lavendar mafia": https://www.newoxfordreview.org/covers-pdf/ead-lavender.pdf

I think this is why a lot of men don't apply. 

E

So basically, you're too cowardly to apply and blame it on your homophobia.

truthfinder

According to wiki, the FSSP priests take no formal vows, but do swear an oath to the society.

PhuturePriest

According to wiki, the FSSP priests take no formal vows, but do swear an oath to the society.

Indeed. I discerned with them for a while. They are a pretty cool group of people. That's to be expected when you base yourself in the Midwest, however.

Nihil Obstat

Indeed. I discerned with them for a while. They are a pretty cool group of people. That's to be expected when you base yourself in the Midwest, however.

They are based in Fribourg though. :|

PhuturePriest

They are based in Fribourg though. :|

Their only other seminary in the world is in Lincoln, though.

I tolerate bronies but I ask that you not bring it in here.

I also need to find my anti-MLP eye shielding.  It's somewhere in the gadget box.

Edited by chrysostom

Thanks for the lovely pictures Nihil Obstat, they were much appreciated after the recent assault on my sense of sight.