An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time For The Summer Reading Thing, 2014!

AnneLine

I doubt I am in the top three, not enough time to read! But I do have three books to add!

Why Pro-life by Randy Alcorn --  172 pages

Courageous by Kristan Hawkins --  176 pages

Students-for-Life Guidebook -- around 200 (couldn't find a page count on amazon and I am to lazy to go get the book upstairs)

Did I already put Oedipus Rex?

And I had to reread 13 reasons why for school so if you could count me twice for that please.

I has not forgotten you.  I have been on vacation, and I have been READING!!!!  :)  (But I had no internet access....)   Hope to get the details for last update up in next 48 hours.... and then will update my own reading.   Be scared, everyone..... :)   We got till Midnight on the 30th of Sept in YOUR time zone to get read as much as you can get read!  Sooooo.... start turning those pages!

:bible: :bible: :bible: :bible: :bible: :bible: :bible: :bible: 

Hi, everyone.  Obviously dUSt has redecorated.  :/    Little hard to read but we can do this.

Had hoped to get the count up before today, but Phatmass or whatever this is was down yesterday, and I lost my window.  I have a big thing that has to be done before Friday for my Secular Order.  

Hoping now for Saturday....  Keep on reading!!!!

Can I include research articles?

If so...

"St Joseph, St Peter, Jean Gerson and the Guelphs" , by Carol M. Richardson (25 pages)

"St Joseph's Foot Deformity in Italian Renaissance Art", by W. R. Albury and G. M. Weisz (20 pages)

"Challenging the Past: Sinan and the Competitive Discourse of Early Modern Islamic Architecture", by Gulru Necipoglu (9 pages)

Also...

A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula K. Le Guin (320 pages)

Anima Christi, by Mother Mary Francis (137 pages)

Dear friends, I'm just checking in.  

On paper we have about 1 more week to go (even though technically it is Autumn (or spring for those of you in the southern hemisphere!!!!)

I'd hoped to update this before now... but I'm kinda stuck with life these days.

As I think most of you know, I'm staying with my Mother-in-Law's family while she is dying.  (Yes, I know I keep saying that... but so the hospice people!  She's got a will of iron, and she is simply not letting go!)

But It will probably happen at some point this week... and then there will be the funeral services, etc.  I'm here for as long as it takes, and I'm happy to do this for her and for our family... but my internet access is really minimal, and I don't know if I can work on this for a few weeks. 

You can keep posting books, and I'll get it done when I can do it.

We can also just extend it thru October if desired... and see if we can get it moving again... or we an just write what books we have been reading since last update and I'll do a final count as soon as I can....  you guys let me know what you want.  But I probably can't work on it for a week or 2 to be honest with you....

Thanks for understanding!  Let me know what you want!!!!

:bible: :heart: :bible: :heart: :bible:

Edited by AnneLine

FINALLY I can add:

Jesus: a pilgrimage, by Fr James Martin, SJ. 544 pages and hands-down one of the most brilliant books I've ever read.

As for the thread, totally happy for it to continue through Oct.  :)

Praying, AL.   :heart:

OK, done, we will continue the 'summer/fall' book reading thing thru October 31, 2014!  

(If my MIL "C" is still with us by then.... yowie!  It just won't be possible!  Prayers gratefully appreciated for her gentle passage into Eternal Life...)

And I will add the following books I have read over the last few weeks to our totals:

Life in the Coal House, the Griffiths Family 96 pages -- but I read it 3 times!    =96 pages X 3 = 288 pages

Line of Fire, Stephen White, 557 pages

Welcome to the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites, Fr. Aloysius Deeney, OCD (116 pages)

Lectio Divina and the Practice of Teresian Prayer Fr. Sam Anthony MOrello, OCD (29 Pages)

5 for Sorrow, 10 for Joy, Rumer Godden, (368 pages)

And as far as books in progress...

Still working-away on the Story of a Soul.  Almost done....

And.. almost thru Vol 1 of  the Collected Letters of St. Teresa (704 pages) and Vol 2 of the Collected Letters (661 pages)  

AAAAGGGHHH!!!!  the things I have to read in order to teach my Secular Order classes!!!!!!!

... and for a little light reading, James Michener's Space! (808 pages) (fun & fascinating reading but it is a HEAVY book!)

And... maybe a re-read of Dracula????

lead-books.png

How about everyone else!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

And do I need to complete the book for it to count? For example, if I'm doing research on a certain topic and I only need to read a certain section.

And do I need to complete the book for it to count? For example, if I'm doing research on a certain topic and I only need to read a certain section.

Ooh! Good question. I'm reading a lot of chapters of books at the moment and also wanted to know if they count. 

Hi, all....

Sure, sections of books for school... just give us a page count.

And yes, Church documents and encyclicals do count.  Sections of the Catechism and Summa or other larger works are ok too.  

We have even taken kids books as books.

Basically... the idea is to just get us reading more -- it's helped me hugely to get back in the HABIT of reading.

I'm still on MIL watch - and any prayers you can  spare that she might just let go and go home to God would be greatly appreciated -- she isn't in pain, but her kids and sister are finding the wait to be really hard.  We've been told it is a matter of time.... but the Hospice people cannot believe she is still holding on...... so prayers, please.....