An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time For The Summer Reading Thing, 2014!

AnneLine

Finished "In the School of the Holy Spirit" by Jacques Philippe.  -90 pages.

Started 2 books..."The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection for spiritual reading.

and "Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption" by Katie Davis just to read. 

Excellent progress in reading, all 3 of you.   As some of you know, my Mother-in-law is very sick and probably dying.  I can't say when I will get the next update done, but  hopefully by this weekend......Thanks for understanding.

I've also been reading a psychological thriller, The Siege by Stephen White.  Well done but :eek: !  I kinda needed something escapist with all that has been going on....

And.... today is my husband's birthday. I'm grateful for prayers for her, my husband and the entire family.  I'd especially like to ask that, if God would be so gracious, she might not pass away during the next 24 hours.... I don't think he is ready to loose her on his birthday.

Everyone, please keep on reading!  :bible:   and praying :pray:

Excellent progress in reading, all 3 of you.   As some of you know, my Mother-in-law is very sick and probably dying.  I can't say when I will get the next update done, but  hopefully by this weekend......Thanks for understanding.

I've also been reading a psychological thriller, The Siege by Stephen White.  Well done but :eek: !  I kinda needed something escapist with all that has been going on....

And.... today is my husband's birthday. I'm grateful for prayers for her, my husband and the entire family.  I'd especially like to ask that, if God would be so gracious, she might not pass away during the next 24 hours.... I don't think he is ready to loose her on his birthday.

Everyone, please keep on reading!   :bible:   and praying :pray:

thank you and I will definitely be praying for your intentions.  I'm sorry you're going through all that Anneline...that's a lot to deal with.  :pray:

CountrySteve21

Everyone, please keep on reading!   :bible:   and praying :pray:

:pray:

And I have finished my 'escapist' book - The Siege by Stephen White:  512 pages.

IF you like taught, psychological thrillers, you probably will like this one.  I like Stephen White's books; he is a clinicial psychologist who can write well-done fiction.  But be prepared, there is a lot of violence in here..... not as many adult themes, and probably something most people in college could handle, but not for a younger crowd nor anyone who would be likely to have any kind of PTSD issues....

But it is well done, and it does make one think.....

And I am thinking about trying to get a book thread update done at some point this weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all of you for your Prayers.  "C" is still with us.... and we all could use your prayers.  She is growing weaker, but most people in the family, including MrAL, don't want to admit it....

Edited by AnneLine

Spem in alium

The Sixteenth of June, Maya Lang (256 pages).
My Life with the Saints, Fr Jim Martin, SJ (414 pages).

The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin - 212 pages

Ah - love that book! I'm actually reading A Wizard of Earthsea right now! It's one of my favourites!

Poorly Catechized Convert

I just started the Summa Theologica. I have also been making my way through the Catechism. In terms of fiction I'm about 40 pages into The Lord of the Rings the Two Towers -- I read the first a couple years ago. Prior to that I just finished a large number of Star Wars books.

After two years of reading thru the Banner in the Sky I have finally finished it and it was a good book but it took me a little while to get into it. 

Banner in the Sky by James Ramsey Ullman 285 pages.  Now going on vacation and I hope to be able to read more. Yay

What books are you taking on vacation, Tigger????   Are any of them 'Challenge Books' - you can claim a challenge book for double credit....

Well... strangely enough, I also finished Banner in the Sky after 2 years!  

(Perhaps it is because Tigger60 and I read it together!  We have read books together for a few years.. .find an interesting book ideally with some good dialogue, and read a chapter or so from time to time, alternating paragraphs.   Once we got into this one... we didn't want to stop reading it.  But it took a while to 'warm' to it.   (If you have read it, you will get the joke... it is a book about mountain climbing!)

So, yes, Finished:   I Banner in the Sky by James Ramsey Ullman 285 pages.  

Books in Progress:  

And I am over half way through The Autobiography of a Hunted Priest by Fr. John Gerard (395 pages)

The Autobiography is a 16th century page turner!     Just got through reading about ME!  (Well, the REAL St. Anne Line, who was one of his spiritual directees -- he calls her "Mistress Line" which would have been appropriate at that time.)  He recruited her to be the housekeeper for a 'house for priests' -- when being a priest or sheltering them was a capital crime!   She was a remarkable woman, and a great saint... anyway.. enough of this!

I am also about 3/4 of the way through another Stephen White book, The Last Lie.   (416 pages)

Story of a Soul, St. Therese, Study Edition (Trans John Clark, OCD, Editor Marc Foley, OCD) (496 pages) - 

==>  I want to designate this as my Challenge book, replacing the Letters of St. Teresa.  

Reason is that I am only having to read selections from The Letters of St. Teresa, but I need to finish the Story of A Soul for a class in September, and I am lagging!!!!   I will keep them on the back burner, and maybe, just maybe, can get both done!

Poorly Catechized Convert -- welcome!!!!   We can put those on the list for you.  Last year, we let people count the major divisions of those books as 'books' - so if you want to designate one of the sections of the Catechism and/or St. Thomas, just let us know.  If you select one of those as a 'challenge book' you can get double credit for it as well!!!!  (Can be a major incentive to read more....)

Will also add The Two Towers for you.

AND if you will name the Star Wars books, you can get credit for those!!!!  

And look what I found:   http://momontheside.com/star-wars-reads-day-free-activity-kit

starwarsreadsday.png

I'm gonna put the book count together probably late tonight or tomorrow, so post things today if you want them counted!!!!!

Remember, book Thing goes through September, so be sure you select things you can get done during September!  It's ok to have a few books going... and we have learned it helps to have some easy or 'recreational' book as well as the harder ones..... kind of books in every room.  

We just want to urge each other to get back into reading!!!!!

milwaukeelibraryads.jpg

Edited by AnneLine