An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time For The Summer Reading Thing, 2014!

AnneLine

CountrySteve21

Hey! I'm still on book one and on page 446 the Life and Revelations of St. Getrude

Edited by CountrySteve21

Credo in Deum

Finished: "The 12 Steps to Holiness and Salvation": From the Works of St. Alphonsus Liguori. 194 pages.

Not The Philosopher

OKAY FINE I'll do this too.

Completed:

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy - 241 pages

City of the Chasch by Jack Vance - 152 pages  (This is something of a gray area: City of the Chasch is the first novel in a series which was originally published separately, but now exists in one omnibus volume, "Planet of Adventure". Should I count the completion of each installment as a complete book, or wait until I've finished them all before it goes into this list?)

I also read The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church by the Pontifical Biblical Commission. I seem to have misplaced my copy, but the page number was around 130ish, I think. Will give a more accurate number if it turns up again.

In Progress:

Peace, by Gene Wolfe (re-read.)

Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet, by Jennifer Homans

Jesus and the Eyewitnesses, by Richard Bauckham

My challenge novel: Middlemarch by George Eliot. I have tried and failed two times to complete it. But it is a pretty major novel in English lit, and as an ex-English major I feel obliged to put this notch on my belt.

Welcome, NotThePhilosopher!  I'd post each book of the series separately -- you'll be able to see the list grow that way!  You can indicate that they are part of that series as you post 'em.  

Good luck on that challenge book... I get you!   (As an ex World & Comparative Lit major... there are still major works of Lit I've never read... that is one of 'em....)

I'm ALMOST done with the StarTrek book and chunking through St. Teresa's letters... which are like going through her email.  How much junk... and how many great nuggets interspersed!   Sheesh it is slow slugging!   And still enjoying the Diary of a Hunted Priest!

HEY -- last year we counted praying the Liturgy of the HOuors (LOTH) and I think we should count that again... How about 550 pages availalbe for Morning, Evening and Office of Readings... and a pro-rated share if you pray less than that?  (That is what 3 months of that was like in Dec-Feb... so I am figuring this is comparable...)

So.. .I'm putting on my list of books the LOTH credit in progress....  Anyone else have books in progress that they could slam through to push up our totals????

Spem in alium

Hurrah! Just finished Joseph and Jesus: a theological study of their relationship (179 pages). Sooo dense. On to the next one!

Ancilla Domini

I'm still taking part in this competition, but I haven't been commenting a lot, since I've been struggling to get through a 1,500 page book. :D I'm almost finished, though, so I should submit that soon.

I'm back :evil:

A Dark Inheritance -- 291

Even in Darkness -- 210 (really bad)

The Shadow Throne -- 317

Secondhand Charm --342

Lirael -- 720

Sabriel -- 496

The Singer of All Songs -- 320

In Mozart's Shadow -- 368

more to come I need to look at my kindle history since I deleted some from the device.

Wow, Carter... walking AND reading!   Blink.  Blink..... !

YOu know if you are looking for things to read, I think you would like historical based novels.  You should try some of Norah Lofts and/or James Michener,  Norah Lofts did some great stuff on Isabelle and Ferdinand of Spain (Crown of Aloes), Katharine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, and also a lot of hisctorical type fiction.   James michener -- try something like Hawaii!

Ancilla Domini

Things I was reading while struggling through my 1,500 page book:

A Wodehouse Miscellany - 184 pages

The Coming of Bill - 180 pages