An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time For The Summer Reading Thing, 2014!

AnneLine

Sure, sections of books for school... just give us a page count..

Okay, here goes...

"Burdens of Matrimony: Husbanding and Gender in Medieval Italy", by Susan Mosher Stuard, in Medieval Masculinities: Regarding Men in the Middle Ages. (9 pg)

"Did Women Have a Renaissance?", by David Herlihy, in Women, Family and Society in Medieval Europe: Historical Essays, 1978-1991. (24 pg)

From same book:

"The Natural History of Medieval Women" (12 pg)
"Family" (22 pg)

"The Making of the Medieval Family: Symmetry, Structure, Sentiment" (19 pg)

"The Family and Religious Ideologies in Medieval Europe" (20 pg)

"The Religious Revival of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries and the Clericalisation of the Church", by Caroline Walker Bynum, in Jesus as Mother: studies in the spirituality of the high Middle Ages. (14pg)
From same book:

"Jesus as Mother and Abbot as Mother: Some Themes in Twelfth-Century Cistercian Writing" (56 pg)

"Joseph and the Amazing Christ-Child", by Mary Dzon, in Childhood in the Middle Ages: the results of a paradigm shift in the history of mentality. (24 pg)

More to come!

:)

Thanks, everyone, for all your prayers and support.   My MIL, "Charlotte" had the gentlest possible death, and the family is doing incredibly well.  All your prayers have made a huge difference.  Thank you!  I'll be around in a few days.  Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all,

I am SO SORRY I have been so off-Phatmass the last few weeks, and so MIA in this thread.  Thank you to all of you who prayed for me and my family, and for the nice PMs and emails you have sent.    I love you all!!!!

The funeral for my MIL was on Oct 3rd, and I'd hoped to get back to going start of the next week.  BUT a  close friend -- our own Tigger60, to be exact! -- had an emergency in her family (her husband ended up in the hospital and for a while in the ICU in my city, which is about 50 miles from THEIR city) so we unexpectedly had a house guest and a lot of crazy stuff happening!  

But Mr.Tigger is doing better, and I am finally digging out of a month of dirty laundry (from before MIL's sudden last illness....) and a lot of other backed up work! 

My hope is to get the last reading stats up over the weekend (Lordy, it HAS been a long time!!!) and then to update where we are since I went AWOL.   We still have about 15 days to read ALL THE BOOKS we have started and not yet finished... maybe even do one or two new ones!  WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

While I was on MIL duty I re-read one of my favorite books (CARTER MIA TAKE NOTICE!!!!), Rumer Godden's Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy.  It was EXACTLY what I needed that week while Charlotte was dying, and I will always remember her when I re-read the section where the main character makes her final vows... as I had just re-read that section, curled up in my bed for a nap (I had been on night duty watching by her bedside....) when they called to me to let me know she had just passed away.  

So... I will always associated Sr. Lise's profession with my MIL's entry into the presence of God.  Kind of a nice combo.   CarterMia, you will identify it as the moments when the two birds flew through the choir at the end of In This House of Brede....

Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy, Rumer Godden, 256 pages                                                                                        

Anyway... good to see you all have been documenting books while I was gone!!!!

Hi, Ancilla Domani... well yeah that was what was the extension.  But I had NO WAY of knowing that I would be dealing with THREE literally THREE life-and-death type emergencies over the last 2 weeks.  I mean come ON!  It has meant I just haven't been able to even think of this thread, or even much of anything except putting prayer requests on phatmass, holding hands literally and over internet and occasionally getting some sleep.

So you all tell me what you want... want to end it on Halloween 10/31/2014?  Or just bump it another month?  If anyone is doing NaNoWriMo, I don't want to interfere.... I will commit to getting the count caught up over the next day... and still hope to finish a few partially done books.

What I do NOT think we are doing this year is Advent to Candlemas, so that may affect people's thoughts.  What say you????

And thank you all for being so understanding!

As far as my 3 emergencies... for one, Tigger60s husband who was VERY ill is going home from the hospital.   :)  (details in prayer room)

For another, someone is dying-- prayers for A and his foster Mom, our own Max, are greatly appreciated (again, Details in Prayer room)

For the third -- a young married couple are dealing with a very serious complication of pregnancy, and serious financial, working and insurance issues in connection with that.  (Not free to give details.  But prayers gratefully accepted!)   

So yeah, it has been a very rough Month, and I'm going to be VERY eager to have this Autumn over!!!!!!

Spem in alium

Happy either way (ending at Halloween, or extending). I do have a couple of cool books on the go which I'm hoping to finish within the week.