An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time For The Summer Reading Thing, 2014!

AnneLine

LittleWaySoul

That is perhaps my favourite novel. Every time I read it I always finish within a couple of days.

I would be finished by now if it weren't for final exams and packing. Now I'm not quite sure where my Kindle is.

But I'm about to go on vacation, where I can hopefully read the rest! :D

Ah thanks Littlewayssoul, I just have a lot of spare time around the summer so I get I lot of reading done. No new books, I just got home from camp about an hour ago so I haven't had anytime.

Question: I cannot quite remember if we could count legal documents for pages. Can we? I am trying to read Roe vs. Wade so if I can count it then I will put it as a challenge book. Also I have another challenge book (yeah I know challenge after challenge...) Oedipus Rex. I have to read that for school so I shall read it. 

Ancilla Domini

Also I have another challenge book (yeah I know challenge after challenge...) Oedipus Rex. I have to read that for school so I shall read it. 

Oedipus Rex is good -- REALLY disturbing, though. XP I had to go read P.G. Wodehouse afterwards, to relax my brain. :P

Wow, everybody is reading!!!  I have been super busy with work so have been off for awhile.  Will have to read all of this thread to get some more books for my "to read" list!!

Hi, everyone,

Didn't mean to run off without any notice... stuff happened in my world.  :drama:

Great to see everyone checking in.

You read Roe vs Wade, you definitely can count the pages, CarterMia!

Nice to see you back, LWS!   Sure, you figure out what you been reading, and we want to count it and maybe think about reading it too!

Ooooh.... Oedipus Rex!   I read and reread and read it and the other 2 in the trilogy over and over and over in college and wrote some great papers about them... the entire Orestaia is fascinating!    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresteia  

BTW, Carter.... the concept of the jury trial is first hinted at in The 3rd play, the Eumenedies!  as the Wikipedia article notes, " A principal theme of the trilogy is the shift from the practice of personal vendetta to a system of litigation.  The name derives from the character Orestes, who sets out to avenge his father's murder." (CF link above)

Great to see you back, NotAPhilosopher and ComingBack.

You all can designate ONE book at a time as a Challenge book for double points... I'm cool if you wanna line em up for a firing squad, but you only can claim 'em one at a time... or it gets too confusing for me!

Gonna try to get the counts updated mid-week.....   I'll be away and pretty much off internet between August 12 and August 28.... I WILL be reading!  A LOT!  

I am gonna do a CarterMia and read as we drive across country (I'm also a professional passenger).... so yes, I should make all of you VERY scared!!!!!!

I need a little help since some of you guys seem to be experts with Oedipus Rex. What would a good symbol for it? My assignment is to make a work of art based on the book and I am having some trouble picturing anything to do. Any ideas?

Not The Philosopher

Compleated:

Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet - 550 pages

I kinda wish that I developed my interest in ballet as a kid so that I could have actually had a chance of giving it a shot. Oh well.

Oops, posted in wrong thread. BOOKS ARE COOL

Edited by CrossCuT

Cool idea!  Can i join in even though I am very late in the game?

Also, does a book that I started 2 weeks ago and finished yesterday count?  I understand if it doesn't since I wasn't technically participating yet...I'll leave the decision as to whether to count it or not to you and I accept either way   :)   I read "Devotion to Our Lady" by Fr. Stefano Manelli, FI.  168 pages. 

Just started "In the School of the Holy Spirit" by Jacques Philippe.  Good one so far.  Very short though, so within the next day or two depending on my schedule I should be moving on to something else. 

Edited by corban711

Welcome, Corban711!   Yes... rules on 1st page (and we don't have a lot) say that anything that is finished during the period of the 'book thing' is fair game.  :)  All you have to o to join is what you've already done -- tell us you want in, what you HAVE read and what you ARE reading.

If you have a 'tough' book -- one you've been struggling with and/or is difficult for some reason.. maybe something you've always wanted to read and never made the time for it... Then tell us it is your 'challenge book' -- you can do as many as you want, but only one at a time.  The advantage for a challenge book?  You get double page credit!  That can make it much more desirable....

:bible: :bible: :bible:

For everyone, my scheduling is kinda hard to predict these days because my Mother-in-law is very ill (and probably dying) so 1) we'd appreciate prayers and 2) be patient with the irregular update schedule!

BUT... I'm hoping to update by mid-week, so please post any more books read and/or in progress, and we'll get 'em counted.  :)

But not tonite... I'm really tired and I am going to go to bed... and if you have ever seen my hours, this is like 4 hours early for me.... zzzzzz......

kitty-sleeps-on-book.jpg?w=300&h=213

Awesome!   And thank you!  I hope to help boost up the page counts and read lots of fantastic books.  I do know however, that after posting this I probably won't read again until this summer reading thing is officially over.   Hahaha. 

We'll see!

Edited by corban711