An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lil Wayne Identifies As Roman Catholic

Anastasia13

Since there are kids on here I just want to be clear that I don't suggest listening to Lil Waynes music. I was just surprised to learn he was Catholic and had Last Rites so that's why I made the thread. Praying for him for sure. I think it's obvious by the content of most of his music he is battling some pretty evil demons that won't be satisfied till he's in hell.

Oh, for sure. It`s interesting to learn something about the religious views of famous people like that. Maybe two years or so ago, I remember reading that Eminem was Baptist, but not highly practicing..

There are trillions of “negative” perceptions hovering over hip hop rappers and the baggage of influence these role models obtain with the growing brains of children, but a Philly protestant pastor tops it all with self-acclaimed book entitled, “Deadest Rapper Alive.” The author and pastor, Jomo K. Johnson, candidly expresses his need for members of the hip hop tribe to pay close attention to this read as artists such as Lil Wayne “destroy” the minds of the little babies. Johnson speaks:

“It is the testimony of Scripture that Dwayne Carter, as a blatant blasphemer of God, by the promotion of anti-Christian philosophies and principles, through his professed love of acts of disobedience toward God, and by the conduct of his own lifestyle, is under the influence of demonic spirits. And, as being under this influence, he himself is being used by Satan to lead countless millions down a path of deception and destruction. And these millions happen to be urban youth. Lil’ Wayne as an unbelieving man is not only under the influence of Satan but he is also involved in demonic occult practices. Those who are involved in this type of practice will fully have interaction with demonic spirits in order to receive some earthly benefits. These benefits are usually money, influence, protection, or revenge. These benefits did not come without costs. The demonic spirits will use that person to promote Satan’s purpose which is to deceive man into destruction while desecrating the image of God.” (Deadest Rapper Alive)

This is where I get confused where the line between art and life gets drawn. Mark Wahlberg gets alot of props for being a practicing Catholic even though he makes R rated movies. I'm actually a fan of Wahlberg and have no problem with him getting props. I again just wonder where that line is drawn or if it even exist. Obviously someone like Lil Wayne probably doesn't go to Mass and Confession like Wahlberg but if he did would that make the music ok ? I don't think it would but then how does someone like Wahlberg get a pass on the movies ? Music is more powerful possibly? Lil Waynes music and videos are clearly considered demonic by many. I definitely agree the lyrics are dark and the imagery is purposely demonic but again I don't know where the line is drawn between it actually being demonic and it being just art. Protestants are quick to say it's 100 percent demonic and he's going to hell. A Catholic perspective seems a little more reserved and definitely not ready to say he's satan himself and destined for hell. And there appears to even be a little wiggle room and be a fan of him and take in his art as a Catholic. But then again most pry wouldn't want to listen anyways and would rather listen to hiphop that uplifts Christ since there is plenty of it out there that is really good music and we'll produced.

Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum

This is where I get confused where the line between art and life gets drawn. Mark Wahlberg gets alot of props for being a practicing Catholic even though he makes R rated movies. I'm actually a fan of Wahlberg and have no problem with him getting props. I again just wonder where that line is drawn or if it even exist. Obviously someone like Lil Wayne probably doesn't go to Mass and Confession like Wahlberg but if he did would that make the music ok ? I don't think it would but then how does someone like Wahlberg get a pass on the movies ? Music is more powerful possibly? Lil Waynes music and videos are clearly considered demonic by many. I definitely agree the lyrics are dark and the imagery is purposely demonic but again I don't know where the line is drawn between it actually being demonic and it being just art. Protestants are quick to say it's 100 percent demonic and he's going to hell. A Catholic perspective seems a little more reserved and definitely not ready to say he's satan himself and destined for hell. And there appears to even be a little wiggle room and be a fan of him and take in his art as a Catholic. But then again most pry wouldn't want to listen anyways and would rather listen to hiphop that uplifts Christ since there is plenty of it out there that is really good music and we'll produced.

Anyone who would fault Lil Wayne for one and applaud Wahlberg for the other would be a hypocrite.  Wahlberg still is in plenty of movies that have nudity and blasphemy in them.  

This is a good talk given on the influence music has on us, and our moral obligations when it comes to things like music, television, etc. 

http://youtu.be/EhXlILfOYh4

The video is long, but very good.  I would recommend listening to it on a Sunday or when you get some free time.  It's really changed my life and the way I approach music, movies, etc. 

Oh, for sure. It`s interesting to learn something about the religious views of famous people like that. Maybe two years or so ago, I remember reading that Eminem was Baptist, but not highly practicing..

After the death of his friend, and his own brish with death, he began getting closer to God and praying more.

The whole "thats not music" debate is very silly. Its like saying a particular piece of art is not art. Remember everyone, the definition or categorization of certain things in the world is not based around whether we like them or not; that part is pretty irrelevant. 

But I used to go around saying the exact same thing is FP mostly  because I didnt like rap and I didnt understand it. I think when he is older he can at least learn to appreciate that birth of this art form and what it tries to do. Yes, there are some superficial aberrations (as with anything) of it in existence but you gotta look at the whole picture. 

KnightofChrist

As with all forms of music it is not how it sounds that makes it bad or good, but what is said or sung in the song.

Based upon his lyrics I would not know Lil Wayne was Catholic, or identified as Catholic. Most of his music glorifies murder, violence, and perversities against women. Which many of his fans emulate and copy. 

Catholicism is a way of life, you don't put it away until it's time for Last Rites. Catholics must be Catholics in word and in deed.

Nihil Obstat

At the very least, the fact that he received Last Rites implies that he has some Catholic sense of sin and penance. We should hope.

Whenever deathbed conversions come up, I always think of Brideshead Revisited. Really powerful stuff in that book.

As with all forms of music it is not how it sounds that makes it bad or good, but what is said or sung in the song.

Based upon his lyrics I would not know Lil Wayne was Catholic, or identified as Catholic. Most of his music glorifies murder, violence, and perversities against women. Which many of his fans emulate and copy. 

Catholicism is a way of life, you don't put it away until it's time for Last Rites. Catholics must be Catholics in word and in deed.

I agree. Music can be bad or good and its entirely subjective but someones level of interest in a certain genre or artist does not mean its NOT art or NOT music. Just means you dont like it. 

PhuturePriest

Jus go with the other Catholic theme and pray for those who condescend (and for your own soul lest you slip into that same trap, at least that is what I would do. Maybe I should pray too.)

Who was condescending? I was sharing an opinion. There is a difference between stating an opinion and being condescending.

I'd think you people would know these basic things without explaining. :rolleyes:

If saying rap isnt music is an opinion than saying the sky is orange is an opinion too. 

KnightofChrist

If saying rap isnt music is an opinion than saying the sky is orange is an opinion too. 

The sky is orange, when the sun sets. :p

The sky is orange, when the sun sets. :P

In hindsight I admit that was a bad color choice!

:paperbag:

Based upon his lyrics I would not know Lil Wayne was Catholic, or identified as Catholic. Most of his music glorifies murder, violence, and perversities against women. Which many of his fans emulate and copy.

Yea I agree with all of this. How do you feel about someone like Mark Wahlberg who practices and speaks out about his Faith but yet still produces and acts in movies with blasphemy, nudity, ect ?