An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lil Wayne Identifies As Roman Catholic

fides' Jack

That's really ignorant but your choice lol. So the Vatican put "c r a p" on its play list when Tupac's song Changes made the cut with the likes of Mozart,Muse,and others?

I'm not sure what you mean here - there are some grammar problems that I can't understand.  Are you saying that the Vatican has a "play list"?  And if so, it put Tupac's Changes on it?  Or are you saying that in the future it will be included in liturgical music?  Need some clarification...

In any event, Changes is one of the few rap songs I can actually stand to listen to.

http://youtu.be/kyNgNpQneC8

个 Apparently not music.

I'm not sure what definition you're going by.  That's certainly music.  It's not spoken.

If saying rap isnt music is an opinion than saying the sky is orange is an opinion too. 

In all honesty, condemning the whole genre to be non-music isn't exactly fair.  And I failed in that.  But really, the defining attribute that makes it rap is non-musical.  It's poetry.  However, rap lyrics are often spoken in rhythm to music.  So I suppose in that sense you could call rap "music".

But it still doesn't make it good.

Haha! And thats fine! No one is requiring you to like it. I dont like it either.

Anyone who would fault Lil Wayne for one and applaud Wahlberg for the other would be a hypocrite. Wahlberg still is in plenty of movies that have nudity and blasphemy in them.

This is a good talk given on the influence music has on us, and our moral obligations when it comes to things like music, television, etc.

The video is long, but very good. I would recommend listening to it on a Sunday or when you get some free time. It's really changed my life and the way I approach music, movies, etc.

Thanks for the video im going to take some time to watch it.

I'm not sure what you mean here - there are some grammar problems that I can't understand. Are you saying that the Vatican has a "play list"? And if so, it put Tupac's Changes on it? Or are you saying that in the future it will be included in liturgical music? Need some clarification...

In any event, Changes is one of the few rap songs I can actually stand to listen to.

What grammar problems ? lol Yea they had an official music play list awhile back and Tupac's song Changes made it on the list. I doubt Tupac will be in the liturgical music anytime soon. lol Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum

Obviously Hip Hop and Rap are to be considered music.  For proof please visit: http://www.phatmass.com/music/

If you are still hard-pressed, then please send a letter to Fr. Pontifex thanking him for all of his "not" music. ;)

Nihil Obstat

I'm not sure what definition you're going by.  That's certainly music.  It's not spoken.

How does one precisely define the difference between speaking and singing? Is it the simple ability to define what notes are present? Because many forms of rap, as I understand it, change pitches even while it maintains what is perceived as a spoken 'feeling'. At the same time, many simple chanted tones have very little in terms of pitch changes. The main difference, besides the very regular nature of the simple chants, seems to be that the notes themselves are in a tone more easily perceived as sung. But they are still notes, and when one pays attention there are still changes in pitch. It's a stylistic difference.

Frankly, I do not think there is much difference between simple chant tones, and some forms of rap, except primarily stylistic differences. The tones are rather differently, but I think it is primary a stylistic choice. And in that sense I see no way to exclude rap as music while still including chant. 

Anastasia13

I always thought there was something attractive about Mark Wahlberg. Now it finally makes sense.

Edited by Light and Truth

fides' Jack

What grammar problems ? lol Yea they had an official music play list awhile back and Tupac's song Changes made it on the list. I doubt Tupac will be in the liturgical music anytime soon. lol

Play list for what?  I don't understand.  Was it playing at the Vatican or something?

Or an approved list of music for Catholics to listen to?  (meaning without content that's too questionable)  - this I can see.  I remember they did that with movies.

Credo in Deum

I always thought there was something attractive about Mark Wahlberg. Now it finally makes sense.

putersmash.gif

fides' Jack

How does one precisely define the difference between speaking and singing? Is it the simple ability to define what notes are present? Because many forms of rap, as I understand it, change pitches even while it maintains what is perceived as a spoken 'feeling'. At the same time, many simple chanted tones have very little in terms of pitch changes. The main difference, besides the very regular nature of the simple chants, seems to be that the notes themselves are in a tone more easily perceived as sung. But they are still notes, and when one pays attention there are still changes in pitch. It's a stylistic difference.

Frankly, I do not think there is much difference between simple chant tones, and some forms of rap, except primarily stylistic differences. The tones are rather differently, but I think it is primary a stylistic choice. And in that sense I see no way to exclude rap as music while still including chant. 

Well, try singing something in your normal voice, on the same note.  Maybe this post.  Then, try saying it.  You'll notice there is a difference, though I'm not sure I could easily put it into words.  

Maybe something about how when you're singing you're carrying your voice between syllables, while speaking each syllable starts and ends itself somehow??  

Of course, when you speak you can also change tone & pitch (& certainly volume) to express emotion, etc..., but there's still a definite difference between singing and speaking.

Edited by fides' Jack

Alot of the most talented rappers deliver in a "singing" type delivery. An old friend never liked Jay-Z because as my friend put it he "talked" over the beats. He preferred artist like Nelly who had more melody in their delivery when they rapped.

Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum
music  noun    (Concise Encyclopedia)

Art concerned with combining vocal or instrumental sounds for beauty of form or emotional expression, usually according to cultural standards of rhythm, melody, and, in most Western music, harmony. Music most often implies sounds with distinct pitches that are arranged into melodies and organized into patterns of rhythm and metre. The melody will usually be in a certain key or mode, and in Western music it will often suggest harmony that may be made explicit as accompanying chords or counterpoint. Music is an art that, in one guise or another, permeates every human society. It is used for such varied social purposes as ritual, worship, coordination of movement, communication, and entertainment.

mu·sic  noun, often attributive \ˈmyü-zik\

a :  the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity

b :  vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
a :  an agreeable sound :  euphony <her voice was music to my ears>

b :  musical quality <the music of verse>
:  a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
:  the score of a musical composition set down on paper
:  a distinctive type or category of music <there is a musicfor everybody — Eric Salzman>

Play list for what? I don't understand. Was it playing at the Vatican or something?

Or an approved list of music for Catholics to listen to? (meaning without content that's too questionable) - this I can see. I remember they did that with movies.

My bad I see what you're saying. It was on their official MySpace page back in the day.

The late rapper Tupac Shakur has been included as part of the Vatican's official MySpace Music playlist.

The seat of the Catholic Church released a list of 12 songs onto the social networking Web site's streaming music service this week when the site launched in the United Kingdom.

Among selections from Mozart, Muse and Dame Shirley Bassey is the slain rapper's song "Changes," which was released two years after his shooting death on a greatest hits album in 1998.

"The genres are very different from each other, but all these artists share the aim to reach the heart of good minded people," the Vatican wrote on its official MySpace Music page.

As of Thursday night, "Changes" had been played more than 4.6 million times on the Web site.

The list was compiled by Father Giulio Neroni, artistic director of church publisher St Paul's Multimedia. He was also responsible for compiling the Vatican's recent Alma Mater album, which combined Gregorian chants and prayers with classical music and the voice of Pope Benedict XVI speaking in five languages.

Shakur, who spent time in prison for sexual assault, was gunned down in a drive-by shooting in Nevada in 1996.

The lyrics of "Changes" describe Shakur's desire to change a grim life of drugs, crime and violence on the streets.

Lyrics of the song, which is labeled as "explicit," include 'Is life worth living, should I blast myself?" "Give the crack to the kids, who the hell cares, one less hungry mouth on the welfare," and "My stomach hurts, so I'm looking for a purse to snatch."

At another point, Tupac sings: "Cause both black and white are smokin' crack tonight."

In contrast, the playlist also contains selections from the album "Music of the Vatican" such as "Advocata Nostra" and "Causa Nostrae Laetitiae."

Other contemporary tracks on the mix include Muse's "Uprising" from their new album "The Resistance" and "He Doesn't Know Why" by the folk group Fleet Foxes.

fides' Jack

What grammar problems ? lol Yea they had an official music play list awhile back and Tupac's song Changes made it on the list. I doubt Tupac will be in the liturgical music anytime soon. lol

Well, this is a good example. I'll rewrite the post for you:

What grammar problems? lol!  Yeah, they had an official music play list a while back and Tupac's song 'Changes' made it on the list. I doubt Tupac will be in the liturgical music anytime soon. lol

There is a lot of missing punctuation and a tendency toward a run-on feel in your sentences.  "lol" is very common and easy to understand, but taking it out helps the sentences be more understandable (that's a nit-pick).  A couple of times I've seen strange spaces before your question marks, including here, which is somewhat distracting.  The quotation marks around the song title probably aren't necessary, but they do help separate it as a song title.  I had to remove the extra "the" in my mind before I could make sense of that sentence.  Then there's the misuse of the word "awhile", which you can read about here: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/while-versus-awhile

Sorry - I'm not trying to be a jerk about it - it's just much easier to understand someone when they express themselves clearly in written form.  And you asked.