Winchester Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Floating an idea: For any report, the reporter will share in the punishment meted out, although it may well be a lesser punishment for the person who reports than the person who is reported. This will discourage some of the whiniest people, since a suspension from this site would probably mean a serious dent in their social circle/attention fix. And it lets someone share in suffering, which is redemptive. But really, it will probably alleviate petty complaints. One way or the other.
Anastasia13 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Floating an idea: For any report, the reporter will share in the punishment meted out, although it may well be a lesser punishment for the person who reports than the person who is reported. This will discourage some of the whiniest people, since a suspension from this site would probably mean a serious dent in their social circle/attention fix. And it lets someone share in suffering, which is redemptive. But really, it will probably alleviate petty complaints. One way or the other. I have scarcely reported anyone here, and you want me to be punished for reporting someone?
cmaD2006 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Floating an idea: For any report, the reporter will share in the punishment meted out, although it may well be a lesser punishment for the person who reports than the person who is reported. This will discourage some of the whiniest people, since a suspension from this site would probably mean a serious dent in their social circle/attention fix. And it lets someone share in suffering, which is redemptive. But really, it will probably alleviate petty complaints. One way or the other. This is not a cool idea at all. The reports I've seen come through, for the most part aren't whiny. The biggest issue is that at times when things are blowing up in a thread, you may get maybe one person reporting. Or -- a mod notices it. How about changing the Winchester Line so that it is clearer and enforceable?
Nunsense Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 I go away for a few hours for the LOH and then Novitiate and when I get back I see I have missed all the fun of the purged board! Was I purged too? Phatmass hasn't been this exciting since the great debates that led to the exodus and formation of the Sub Tuum board. Wow! Happy, happy, joy, joy! :) And no, I didn't report anyone because the people who sent me nasty emails were anonymous and I won't accuse without proof. I would do so if I got a nasty PM, but some people like to make their attacks in sneaky ways, and I am not up to seeking out IP addresses or dealing with VPNs or other things like that. I did assume however, after some unadmiring comments about me in VS that I would get nominated for banning - but I missed the results so now I'll never know! :( Anyway, does this mean we are all now one, big happy family again?????
cmaD2006 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 (edited) Nunsense ... from what I can tell you didn't get "purged". :) You missed it by MINUTES. (the change back of the former purged to non-purged was about 10-15-20 minutes ago). Edited August 1, 2014 by cmaD2006
Perigrina Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 I did assume however, after some unadmiring comments about me in VS that I would get nominated for banning - but I missed the results so now I'll never know! :( If you are wondering about me, I did not nominate you.
Anastasia13 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 This is not a cool idea at all. The reports I've seen come through, for the most part aren't whiny. The biggest issue is that at times when things are blowing up in a thread, you may get maybe one person reporting. Or -- a mod notices it. How about changing the Winchester Line so that it is clearer and enforceable? So more of us should report?
cmaD2006 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 So more of us should report? My personal opinion -- yes. If there is a problem (even a perceived issue) hit the button and explain why you are reporting it. But that's my opinion. dUSt? Your turn :)
dUSt Posted August 1, 2014 Author Posted August 1, 2014 Floating an idea: For any report, the reporter will share in the punishment meted out, although it may well be a lesser punishment for the person who reports than the person who is reported. This will discourage some of the whiniest people, since a suspension from this site would probably mean a serious dent in their social circle/attention fix. And it lets someone share in suffering, which is redemptive. But really, it will probably alleviate petty complaints. One way or the other. Floating better idea: making you a mod.
Lil Red Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Floating better idea: making you a mod. Best idea yet.
cmaD2006 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Floating better idea: making you a mod. Lol ... then the Winchester line would really BE the Winchester Line rotfl
dUSt Posted August 1, 2014 Author Posted August 1, 2014 Here's my take on phatmass stuff: Anything that takes up time to deal with hinders on my ability to run phatmass. Frivolous reports take time to deal with. Long explanations take time to deal with. Members who never break a guideline but always seem to be in the middle of drama take time to deal with. Actions that require one to go back and read through 10 pages of posts take time to deal with. Figuring out who goes in what group takes time to deal with. I want a self governing community. Any time I get an email requiring me to take action, my first plan of action is to eliminate whatever is causing me to take a break from my Downton Abbey time.
Anastasia13 Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 My personal opinion -- yes. If there is a problem (even a perceived issue) hit the button and explain why you are reporting it. But that's my opinion. dUSt? Your turn :) What kind of issues though? I think you touched on rules being clear cut in the VS forum, but outside of cussing and bad sexual expression, can you elaborate on what to report?
Ash Wednesday Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Irony is what my blood isn't enough of when I get anemic and should eat more red meat
Nunsense Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 (edited) Nunsense ... from what I can tell you didn't get "purged". :) You missed it by MINUTES. (the change back of the former purged to non-purged was about 10-15-20 minutes ago). Well, I guess I have to tell my Prioress that I can't be away from my keyboard for more than a few minutes at a time just in case something exciting happens here! :P If you are wondering about me, I did not nominate you. Why would I wonder about you? I assumed you liked me because of my wonderfully abrasive personality that adds so much spice to VS. Now I feel sad that you might not like me ? :( Just kidding. I think one of the things you don't get about me is my sense of humour - it is slightly odd I know, but then I was born and raised in the US, moved to Oz when I was 17, lived in Mexico, Singapore and England for years -- and all of those different cultures merged my sense of humor (humour) into something really unusual I guess. In the DT, watch out for me - I will join in with the rest - and that may be where I sound abrasive. In VS, I do try very hard to be charitable and never personally insulting to anyone - but I know that not only can I fail in this effort, but on the Internet, people can also misinterpret what I say. And one thing I will defend inside and out is a Catholic's right to do the things that Church allows, even if some people still aren't comfortable with all of the changes since Vatican 2. I don't mean that to sound abrasive, but it might come across that way. I will try to be more aware of that in future. Let's hug :buddies: Edited August 1, 2014 by nunsense
Winchester Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 Floating better idea: making you a mod. This is madness.
dUSt Posted August 1, 2014 Author Posted August 1, 2014 This is madness. Done.Now I just need to convince MIKolbe to come back. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Put the people with the most social influence in positions of responsibility.Brilliant.
Ash Wednesday Posted August 1, 2014 Posted August 1, 2014 I still think "chicken militant" needs to be worked in here somehow and could serve a purpose
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now