An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best, Complete, Factual Account Of What's Happening In Ferguson

veritasluxmea

Confirmation bias is accepting one story told in the background of a video by a man who starts off with "I don't know what happened" as total proof against other narratives.

Gun fights are fast. It's quite possible that the cop shot at and missed a fleeing suspect, who then turned around, was shot, panicked, and kept running or walking. The total bullet count will tell us if this is a possibility. We have no idea of the encounter distance, so it's not certain whether or not the number of rounds was reasonable.

Im having a hard time wrapping my head around the insanity that is Ferguson right now.

National guard?

Anti-tank trucks?

PhuturePriest

A cop overplayed his hand and shot a guy, possibly charged by racist beliefs? National Guard and anti-tank trucks being brought in due to political tensions getting higher? Tell me something else I've never heard before.

Meanwhile, in Mosul...

stopthegenocide-622x351-08-12-141-620x35

I don't mean to come off as an arse (I of course always come off that way, but at least it's not intended), however, I don't see why Ferguson should take precedence over the genocide currently happening, and I don't see why the media is covering Ferguson way more than the Middle East right now.

Who is saying its taking precedence? People have the ability to have more than one thing occupy their mind at a time fyi. Its not like we are actually doing anything in ANY of these cases to alleviate strife. We are just sitting on our arses. 

PhuturePriest

Who is saying its taking precedence? People have the ability to have more than one thing occupy their mind at a time fyi. Its not like we are actually doing anything in ANY of these cases to alleviate strife. We are just sitting on our arses. 

The media is talking about nothing but Ferguson. There's a genocide going on and no one cares. I am justifiably pissed about that.

Thats fine. But we arent the media. There are separate threads for these things. People on here are talking about both. 

Edited by CrossCuT

PhuturePriest

Thats fine. But we arent the media. There are separate threads for these things. People on here are talking about both. 

Actually, no. There are five pages of people bickering over whether or not this cop is guilty. There's one thread about the genocide that I know of, and no one is posting on it.

veritasluxmea

Actually, no. There are five pages of people bickering over whether or not this cop is guilty. There's one thread about the genocide that I know of, and no one is posting on it.

In defense of that, threads really get going when people start disagreeing about social justice and who's to blame and church teachings and all that. The genocide is so clear-cut wrong and terrible, what's there to bicker about? You go, look it over, and pray. It's so terrible there's not much to say. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

I imagine the store owner is peeing his pants from fear right now. Don't look at me! It wasn't me!

Can we all at least agree that Vox is the very worst place on the internetz to get news about this or any topic?

conveniencestore_zpsef2def6e.jpg

Maybe what happened is 2 big bullies ran into each other on the street.

that never ends well. when someone is power tripping.

see the last picture on the right? Thats Michael Brown chasing the owner back into his store. He's not running away cuz he got caught, he's power tripping: yeah I stole from you, how dare you try to stop me. Out he goes, walking down the middle of the street. Meets power-tripping latent racist white cop who screams at him to get out of the way cuz he's blocking traffic. 

Perfect storm of power tripping bullies.

The one without a gun lost his life, the one with the gun ruined his. 

But maybe its unfair to call an 18 year old man a thief and a bully because of one bad choice he made on one very bad day. Maybe this video captures him at the worst moment of his life. Would you be okay with the world judging you by what they could see of you at the worst moment in your life?

and maybe its unfair to call 28 year old cop who joined the force at age 22 a racist, a murderer, and a bully because of what happened on the worst day of his life. Maybe.

maybe its unfair not knowing all the facts, to make up a story in my head about what "really happened."

idk. cuz all i know about it I got from twitter and the internets. which means I KNOW NOTHING. 

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Okay, so the Joker got a Phatmass account.  Cool.

Have an actual point to make?

Didn't think so.

unfortunately, not just in Ferguson, but all over our country, the police are seemingly getting away with more and more beatings and killings that are not justified. I don't have faith that this will be any different. 

Really?

I heard that the number of fatal police shootings in the U.S. has actually declined, rather than risen.  But it would be helpful if someone actually provided links to some real facts on figures on this, as opposed to hot air, emotion, and recitation of pc pieties.

But that's not my main issue here.  The problem is that:

1)  You and the others have already concluded (based on cherry-picked sources off teh interwebz) that the cop in question is guilty, when at this stage sources are conflicting,and all the evidence is not yet in.

(I'm not presuming his innocence, either.  He may well be guilty, and I don't think any of us here knows all the facts.  But I believe everyone has the right to a fair trial.)

and 

2)  You have also basically concluded before the fact that the trial will not result in justice.

You can rant and rave all day long about how you think our legal system is inherently unjust and racist, etc., etc., however, you have not given any actual solution of an alternative means for providing justice.

I definitely do not believe courts and juries are perfect or infallible, but what alternative are you advocating?

Lynch mob "justice"?

Whoever has the most firepower, or burns down or loots the most stuff is right?

Yeah, I know all the rioting, looting and destruction has already worked wonders towards establishing justice and making life better for everyone.

I'm sure we're just one burned-down gas station away from utopia.

And, yeah, I realize praising anarchy and lawlessness behind the comfort of one's laptop is ever so edgy and cool.

Except it's not so cool when you get hurt, or your property is destroyed or looted.

In which case, the first thing you'll likely do is call the cops.

If we abandon courts and rule of law in favor of anarchy and mob rule, we've descended to savagery.

or as Winchester put it:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I know I'm just a simple-minded caveman, but somehow I fail to see what the hell is so utterly hilarious about all this.

Edited by Socrates

• Winchester locked this topic