An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best, Complete, Factual Account Of What's Happening In Ferguson

veritasluxmea

Maybe what happened is 2 big bullies ran into each other on the street.

that never ends well. when someone is power tripping.

That is the most likely scenario. And since the "law" empowers police to be bullies, legally, the cop is okay when he does it.

If we abandon courts and rule of law in favor of anarchy and mob rule, we've descended to savagery.

I know I'm just a simple-minded caveman, but somehow I fail to see what the hell is so utterly hilarious about all this.

Rule of law = the opinion of 12 people?

It's currently the "rule of law" to throw human beings in cages in New Jersey for possession of a means of self defense. Even when said human groveled before the rulers of another state in order to obtain their gracious (lawful, and ordered) permission to carry a means of defense. This is apparently how we avoid "savagery". It's also the "rule of law" that if a dog barks at your car, you can have various things jammed up your ass in the search for unapproved substances.

Indeed, only when there is a process for the authorities to penetrate our anuses based on the reactions of dogs can we avoid savagery. Oh, what chaos would we have, what violence, without the beautiful process of obtaining law from the legislators.

Rule of law is a myth, and the idea that law is only possible when it's declared by legislators is novel.

What's hilarious is that you view the opinion of a smaller mob as not mob rule.

And you still don't understand what a normative position is.

KnightofChrist

The media is talking about nothing but Ferguson. There's a genocide going on and no one cares. I am justifiably pissed about that.

Iraq is a far off place, Ferguson is not. If Iraq was located on the North American or Europe Continents the media and Phatmass would talk of little else.

Noted on Facebook:

"Today in Ferguson Missouri, a crowd of hundreds and hundreds of young African Americans came to the campus of St Louis Community College at Florissant Valley where they attended classes. Later this crowd swarmed over to the Bookstore where they purchased textbooks, school supplies and in some instances snack food. Some later swarmed upstairs to the cafeteria purchasing food and beverage products.

In a related story, hundreds and hundreds of non African American students did the exact same thing.
"

PhuturePriest

Iraq is a far off place, Ferguson is not. If Iraq was located on the North American or Europe Continents the media and Phatmass would talk of little else.

So we don't care about things unless they affect us personally?

So ever since that American journalist was killed, that's been the top news in the media. The incredible level of our selfishness and ego never ceases to amaze me.

Credo in Deum

So ever since that American journalist was killed, that's been the top news in the media. The incredible level of our selfishness and ego never ceases to amaze me.

You should start a new thread about how upset you are and leave the people who post in this one in peace. 

KnightofChrist

I think most regular people care about the Genocide happening in Iraq and Syria. But I think distance does play a factor in interest of talking about it. When we hear on the news of someone being murdered two States away, most people do care, but interest in that murder would not be the same if it happened next door to us. Perhaps it is part of our being fallen.

The media however I believe have tried their very best to ignore the Genocide in Iraq and Syria. They pushed very very hard to end the Iraq war and bring the troops home. I think the Obama Administration has attempted to ignore it for the same reasons.

KnightofChrist

You should start a new thread about how upset you are and leave the people who post in this one in peace.

There is a old Vulcan proverb "No thread on Phatmass will ever stay on topic for long."

Credo in Deum

I think most regular people care about the Genocide happening in Iraq and Syria. But I think distance does play a factor in interest of talking about it. When we hear on the news of someone being murdered two States away, most people do care, but interest in that murder would not be the same if it happened next door to us. Perhaps it is part of our being fallen.

IMO, it's not even about this.  I think the reason for why FP's thread has a low number of posts is due to the lack of content in his OP.  His thread basically amounts to "Don't forget about the Christian persecution/Genocide in the Middle East" -as if any of us could forget about that.  Other than the "don't forget" message in his OP, the thread itself does nothing to promote a discussion.   IMO, the thread we're in now has more posts simply because people are going to naturally gravitate to a thread which promotes a discussion.

I imagine the store owner is peeing his pantaloons from fear right now. Don't look at me! It wasn't me!

Can we all at least agree that Vox is the very worst place on the internetz to get news about this or any topic?

No.  They are a pretty decent news source.  

I keep seeing updates about how eye witnesses saw Brown go after the cop when they had their confrontation in the street....then other eye witnesses say that the cop assaulted brown after he put his hands up to surrender.

Its hard to tell what the story is right now. 

KnightofChrist

IMO, it's not even about this.  I think the reason for why FP's thread has a low number of posts is due to the lack of content in his OP.  His thread basically amounts to "Don't forget about the Christian persecution/Genocide in the Middle East" -as if any of us could forget about that.  Other than the "don't forget" message in his OP, the thread itself does nothing to promote a discussion.   IMO, the thread we're in now has more posts simply because people are going to naturally gravitate to a thread which promotes a discussion.

I'm not sure, of the three other threads that I can find which are devoted to the genocide none have gone pass page one. The longest has 16 replies. If the events were happening in the United States or in Italy I do believe there would be more discussion. There would also be more news reports and round the clock coverage, which would also increase interest in discussing it. One big reason I think people are talking more about Ferguson is because the media is reporting it around the clock. Edited by KnightofChrist

Credo in Deum

I keep seeing updates about how eye witnesses saw Brown go after the cop when they had their confrontation in the street....then other eye witnesses say that the cop assaulted brown after he put his hands up to surrender.

Its hard to tell what the story is right now. 

You would think the officer's squad car would have had a dashboard camera with audio to record the event. Even if you can't see video you would have at least been able to hear sounds of a struggle.   Heck anything is better than conflicting eye witness reports. 

I'm not sure, of the three other threads that I can find which devoted to the genocide none have gone pass page one. The longest has 16 replies. If the events were happening in the United States or in Italy I do believe there would be more discussion. There would also be more news reports and round the clock coverage, which would also increase interest in discussing it. One big reason I think people are talking more about Ferguson is because the media is reporting it around the clock.

:giveup: You win, good sir. 

You would think the officer's squad car would have had a dashboard camera with audio to record the event. Even if you can't see video you would have at least been able to hear sounds of a struggle.   Heck anything is better than conflicting eye witness reports. 

Exactly! Thats a good point. Arent they suppose to have dash cams? Im not aware of any law that says they must but I feel like that would really eliminate the noise in these cases and help police officers make decisions in the future by evaluating past events. 

I read a statistic in an article a while back that somehow, dash cams magically reduce incidents like this...I wonder how? :evil:

Credo in Deum

Exactly! Thats a good point. Arent they suppose to have dash cams? Im not aware of any law that says they must but I feel like that would really eliminate the noise in these cases and help police officers make decisions in the future by evaluating past events. 

I read a statistic in an article a while back that somehow, dash cams magically reduce incidents like this...I wonder how? :evil:

Where is the video?

There is none, Ferguson's police chief said.

Thomas Jackson says his department has 18 patrol cars. This spring, the department purchased two dashboard cameras and two wearable body cameras, but the equipment hasn't been installed because the department doesn't have the money to cover that cost, he said.

A dashcam and installation runs about $3,000, he told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/ferguson-dashcams/

Apparently there are no national guidelines for use of dashcams and other recording devices.  

• Winchester locked this topic