An Old School Catholic Message Board

If God Wished That Nobody Would Perish In Hell, Then Why Did He Create

veritasluxmea

Bolded is past tense, meaning now they are slaves,

only makes me wonder do we lose our " free will " once in heaven.

Though being a slave to God can't really be a negative now can it ?

Their free will was not removed immediately after

Sure.  You have eternal, unalterable torture in punishment for decisions made within a finite timeframe under conditions of imperfect information.  Sounds like a racket to me.

Just because a decision by a person with free will is unbelievably stupid, they still get to make it.  

Catherine Therese

It just doesn't really bear the weight of critical probing.  

Unsubstantiated assertion.

By all means, probe as critically as you like - out loud, please? 

Catherine Therese

Unsubstantiated assertion.

By all means, probe as critically as you like - out loud, please? 

Eh. That was snotty of me, wasn't it? 

OK. Let me rephrase, but nicer.

You've said it doesn't hold up to critical probing, but it'd be great if you could expand on why you think that's the case. 

If our theology of hell is holey-er than swiss cheese, I'm missing something and would like to be shown what I'm missing. 

Cos as things stand, I think Catholic eschatology is beautifully internally consistent and I can't see even the tiniest crevice in its claims.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

God didn't create Hell, Satan and his demons made it when they were kicked out of Heaven.

Are you saying, Satan and his demons are co-creators of God in creating everything? Can you please explain it further?

I would answer it by saying God didn't create Hell, He  created free will, and that the question is thus flawed from the start.

A question which I know the standard answer to already, which I think you might like better is, if God doesn't want us ending up in Hell, why did He give us " free will ",

The answer to which is  " love " which is beyond annoying. Hey how about this for free will, how about giving humanity the option in Heaven to decide if we want to be born an go through a corrupt world in the first place.  Instead of screwing humanity over from the word go.

Gotta love omnipotence ,

With reference to your note, are you saying, ‘hell’ come forth out of God’s love given to us?

Not A Real Name

I would still build a prison even though I personally would never want to see someone in it.

Why do you still need to build it? 

You would need to build it because regardless of your desire to never see anyone in prison, you are still aware that there are those who will abuse their freedom by breaking the law and they will need to be punished.  

so love with out free will is slavery, then that means the angels in heaven are slaves,

and i'd of sure appreciated some love and the free will with the option to decide if I really wanted to be born and go through this life.

it isn't " free will " ,  the only one with actual  " Free will " is God , Christ, and the Holy Spirit,  the rest of us don't actually have a choice, when the option is, hey I love you, but if you do what you want, then ima punish you an cast you out, or perhaps it is free will if it is you can do what you want, ill always love you, but your going to pay a price before ya come home.

Anyhow I don't see how people think it is Free will, when there a zillion other things controlling ones life to begin with not even touching on the restraints the Church so lovingly puts on everyone and not even trying to fathom what Gods' definition of love is.

More over if free will is amesome as everyone thinks it is, then how amesome is it knowing we are always falling short to the standards God has put on us, and we have a better chance of getting hit by lightening 5 times in a row in the same day, versus actually living a life that God wants us to live.

and then how crazy are we to still try.

any how I will take my sarcasm down the road an toss it into on coming traffic.

This is old, but I think it's important to respond to this train of thought. There are a lot of people that perceive God through this legalistic lens, and I can certainly understand why, but it's fundamentally flawed.

When asking why God created hell, it's easy to come back with "We choose between God and hell, or even 'God and not-God'", but in reality that's not what the faith journey is. These questions aim at some point in our futures, but our individual decision to choose God happens every day, and the consequences of that decision occur immediately. 

Humans are not perfect, and we are born into and live in a world that is not perfect. God wants to fix our brokenness. It's a life-long process. His rules and laws are not unattainable standards, but instructions to keep us from doing more harm to us. When people say "living how I want to live", generally they mean they want to partake in some vice without realizing the real harm that vice is doing to them. Most of the time they don't want to know, othertimes they just deny it. It's in those decisions that they turn away from God, and why oftentimes it's only when people hit rock-bottom before they finally decide to give God a chance.

But even then, some people still don't. Hell is the cap-stone of a life of continually "doing it your way". 

Heaven is not a place where you get to do whatever you want, like God gives you a small private section of paradise and nothing bothers you. It's not. Heaven is where you love God, and he loves you. You have to actually want that. It's a relationship deeper than a marriage, and the courtship of that relationship is here on earth. 

Life is not about God striking you down with lightning if you do something wrong. Instead imagine you have a sister or a brother who is doing drugs, and you wish you could anything to help then because you love them - that's more like God and us.

You would need to build it because regardless of your desire to never see anyone in prison, you are still aware that there are those who will abuse their freedom by breaking the law and they will need to be punished.  

....and that is precisely the subject of this discussion. If God (truly) wished That Nobody Would Perish In Hell, Then Why Did He Created (it)’?

Not A Real Name

....and that is precisely the subject of this discussion. If God (truly) wished That Nobody Would Perish In Hell, Then Why Did He Created (it)’?

When God endowed us with freewill, it was so that we may genuinely love Him.  It was not given to us so that we may do whatever we want without suffering the consequences. God created Hell because it is the just consequence of abusing our freewill by rejecting and opposing Him who is the perfection of all Love and Goodness.

God could just erase people who don't make it to Heaven. No need for them to be tortured for eternity (whatever eternity is since I can't comprehend it) I've been reading lately how much the Catholic Church is against torture well it seems crazy then how torture for eternity is ok. Just not against terrorist who want to murder us. But God is God and I'm not. He can do as He pleases. If I do end up in hell I hope God just erases me though. I'm not a good guy compared to His standards but I don't deserve to be tortured for eternity (whatever eternity is) either. Because as I keep hearing over and over torture is never acceptable.

Edited by Guest

Oh what an awful state of affairs disbelief is!

:lies:

A god that creates an eternal torture chamber for those who have committed the "crime" of disbelief is not one I would want to worship anyways. Such a god is not merciful or loving, at least not to all. I have a different idea of what perfection is. :think:

I don't mind being erased after death because that's exactly where I think we go.