An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Have Food Neophobia?

PhuturePriest

I got about 30 on your test. I am currently eating soy meat jerky.

Edited by Light and Truth

PhuturePriest

I definitely would have been in the "COOL a tornado!!" camp. My family lived in Tornado Alley when I was a kid and when there were storm warnings, we'd all go over to the neighbor's basement (we didn't have one of our own) and I'd be trying to look out the cellar windows and mom would be trying to get me far far away from them...

I was terrified of tornadoes before the tornado hit, but when it came to the destruction and loss of things, I wasn't distraught or bothered by it. It was merely a cool-looking playground whose greatest asset was its inevitable danger, what with the glass and metal everywhere.

Ash Wednesday

I experienced anorexia as a symptom of Crohn's disease. Not anorexia nervosa, mind you. This was not a psychological or neurological thing; it was a physical response to my illness. Most meals I would sit down and eat 1/4 or 1/3 of a normal portion, then feel full like I had just eaten a giant holiday turkey dinner. Combining that with my other symptoms of Crohn's, I ended up losing about 40 pounds over a one year period where I should have gained 10-20 to stay in line with my height.

Did a medical professional actually describe your symptom as "anorexia"? 

I've only known anorexia or bulimia as being diagnosed under very specific criteria and they always had underlying psychological factors.

Did a medical professional actually describe your symptom as "anorexia"?

I've only known anorexia or bulimia as being diagnosed under very specific criteria and they always had underlying psychological factors.

According to my own understanding, it can be described as a purely physical symptom with no psychological connotations. Again, not anorexia nervosa.

Ash Wednesday

According to my own understanding, it can be described as a purely physical symptom with no psychological connotations. Again, not anorexia nervosa.

Don't worry -- I know that you're differentiating from the actual diagnosis of anorexia nervosa. I rarely hear the term "anorexia" in itself separate from full anorexia nervosa which was why I was asking (purely from a diagnostic standpoint)

I hope you are in good health now.

Don't worry -- I know that you're differentiating from the actual diagnosis of anorexia nervosa. I rarely hear the term "anorexia" in itself separate from full anorexia nervosa which was why I was asking (purely from a diagnostic standpoint)

I hope you are in good health now.

As well as anyone hoped. Full remission since 2010, I think. Could come back, and if it does it could be quite serious, but no reason to lose sleep yet.

Not solve, but create a way that children are far more functional in the world. My first parents chose beating. And I have to give them credit as I can function. My second parents had patience and that worked too, but not as well.

Am I the only one disturbed by this? You're okay with your first parents beating you and think that it helped you function, whereas your second parents didn't beat you and this didn't help you function as much? Edited by tinytherese

My score is 41. I'm on the autism spectrum but didn't know that I was until less than 2 years ago.

This may sound odd, but I don't like onions because of the sound they make when I chew them, despite them not having any taste. Some noodles are hard for me to eat because of how they're shaped.

Am I the only one disturbed by this? You're okay with your first parents beating you and think that it helped you function, whereas your second parents didn't beat you and this didn't help you function as much?

Nope; don't feel lonely, you're not the only one disturbed. (Let the psycho-analysis fest begin?)

Here is an article on princeton.edu that seems to agree with my understanding of anorexia as a symptom.

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Anorexia_(symptom).html

And one from the Nutrition Journal:

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(00)00421-4/abstract

What in layman's terms does it mean to have anorexia but not anorexia nervosa?

What in layman's terms does it mean to have anorexia but not anorexia nervosa?

Anorexia, as a symptom, is simply having a poor appetite. Anorexia nervosa is what people normally mean when they say anorexia.

This may sound odd, but I don't like onions because of the sound they make when I chew them, despite them not having any taste. Some noodles are hard for me to eat because of how they're shaped.

Pretty normal stuff for an aspie. Some senses tend to be heightened...

• 2 weeks later...